UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Super Slow Behavior In Design Mode, Any Version    

ws1o
post Sep 27 2017, 08:49 AM
Post#1

This has driven me nuts since around version 95. Ever notice how infuriatingly slow Access responds when you're trying to work on a report or form in design view if it's bound to a big or slow table or query? Sometimes I just have to "break" the binding by deleting the recordsource in the properties pane, so I can get some work done, then reset it when I'm done. Which is a big pain if you have a report with a bunch of subreports.

Wouldn't it be neat if someone wrote an add-in tool of some sort that would let you toggle the form and report recordsource bindings on and off with a simple click in design view?

Or has anyone found any other sneaky little trick or hack to make this less painful?
Go to the top of the page

nuclear_nick
post Sep 27 2017, 09:52 AM
Post#2

Turn off 'Auto-Correct'.

It means you have to be a little more diligent, but I've been working without this net for almost 10 years now. smile.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Minty
post Sep 27 2017, 10:21 AM
Post#3

Can't say I have ever experienced this in using Access in various guises since Access 2...
In fairness most of my bound forms are loaded with an empty recordset SELECT * from Table where PK_ID = 0 type thing, and are then populated based on user input.

ws1o
post Sep 27 2017, 10:29 AM
Post#4

I always have AutoCorrect off in all the apps I build.

I believe it's got to do with the way Access tries to keep updated data "live" when it's the recordsource bound to the object currently open in Design View. Because the minute you delete the recordsource (on the Properties pane), everything works at normal speed. When you put the recordsource back, it slows down to glacial speed again.

ws1o
post Sep 27 2017, 10:33 AM
Post#5

I'll have to try some variation of that and see what happens; most of my forms and reports are bound to queries. And I often take user input to modify the SQL in the queries before opening the forms or reports.

(for example, I generate the replacement SQL in VBA code, then open the DAO querydef, replace its SQL with the new SQL, resave the querydef, then open the form or report.)

And things don't slow down if it's a small local table or a really simple query; but if it's something that takes more than a second or so to open, then it makes working with the form or report super sluggish.

nuclear_nick
post Sep 27 2017, 10:35 AM
Post#6

Could it also be error-checking the fields?

I don't know how/if that can be turned 'off' or not... the programming that puts little green corners on controls in reports or forms when it cannot resolve what field(s) the control is supposed to reference. I had thought that the 'auto-correct' was some of it, but like you, I've had it 'go slow' on me at times, so this is just an attempt at a suggestion.

I've also been experimenting with setting the 'Recordset Type' to different things ("Dynaset (Inconsistent Updates)" for instance) to see what happens there.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

ws1o
post Sep 27 2017, 11:01 AM
Post#7

I'll look into experimenting with those suggestions; I wish Microsoft would figure out a way to let you simply disable updating or whatever is going on in the background while you're simply messing with the design of the report or form....frustrating!

DanielPineault
post Sep 27 2017, 11:42 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

When doing development, you copy the BE locally and relink, right?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

ws1o
post Sep 28 2017, 06:27 AM
Post#9

The backend data is on SQL Server

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 28 2017, 06:59 AM
Post#10

UA Admin

So with a SQL Server back end, the rules are somewhat different. Your forms ARE retrieving recordsets from the server, and depending on your network and server loads, that can be a problem. SQL Server itself is extremely robust--especially as compared to the ACE engine in Access. But you have to get the data back from it across whatever network sits between your interface and the server. That's probably something most of us don't consider until we're faced with the problem you're encountering.

I see you're on the right track with rewriting queries with specific parameters to limit recordsets, but it looks like you might only be doing that after the form has opened? Why not initialize the forms with empty recordsets, i.e. apply a filter like "WHERE 1 = 0" when the form is opened so that NO records are loaded initially? I've been doing it that way for a while and find it makes life a lot less stressful.

--------------------

jleach
post Sep 28 2017, 09:56 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess Editor

I would also mention that certain types of queries can greatly amplify performance issues on top of what George describes.

http://dymeng.com/azure-series-05-database-performance/

There's a deep dive into the topic there - written with Azure in mind, it applies to any non-access BE RDBMS you might be connected to.

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Sep 28 2017, 10:04 AM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

A truly excellent article by the way! hat_tip.gif

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 28 2017, 11:11 AM
Post#13

UA Admin

Yes, that article was in the back of my mind when I was writing.

--------------------

slacka
post Yesterday, 03:08 AM
Post#14

off topic a little (or a lot). Another really annoying thing, is when you have a form with a timer, which is running. Then you're editting another form in design mode. It is basically impossible to type. super annoying. Obviously the solution is to close the form with the timer. In my case it autoopens all the time by design but it's super annoying during editting.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 11:23 PM