UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Citrix, Access 2010    

Brepea
post Oct 5 2017, 01:44 AM
Post#1

Hi - i'm putting together a paper to request Citrix to aid users working remotely and in an office where wifi is the norm...

Can anyone help me understand how Citrix works...? I understand that Citrix will stop issues of wifi vs LAN disconnect-connect (causing network interruption issues) - but why? Is the BE still stored on the network BE folder as per current setup and i guess i'd need to change the "path" to BE (how do you reference a Citrix BE?)

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

Minty
post Oct 5 2017, 03:32 AM
Post#2

What you are after is a remote desktop server. Citrix happens to be one - so is Microsoft Terminal Services.

They provide a virtual desktop environment for your users to log into and use.
So instead of running an application on their local machine they connect to a virtual machine (VM) hosted locally to your database and file sharing servers.

This means there is only (hopefully) a nice high speed LAN connection between the VM frontend database application and the BE database.
Whether that is an access BE or other DBMS (SQL Server for instance).

The reason this works, is that the only information then passed between your users computer and the VM is effectively screen, keyboard and mouse data.
No database data ever leaves the confines of the local remote service.

Speak to you IT people about how they manage their servers. I doubt they ever actually go and sit in the server room to play with them.
They sit in their nice offices and remotely connect to the servers using a remote desktop for the server. Get one of them to show you.
They can assuming they have access, do this from home out of hours, or from the other side if the world.

Brepea
post Oct 5 2017, 05:09 AM
Post#3

Very useful - so a user will see a Citrix desktop icon. They click on this and Citrix opens with a suite of applications available to them - the FE being one of them - right? How do i setup a FE within Citrix or a BE for that matter (is this simply a server like now but with a different filepath)?

Minty
post Oct 5 2017, 05:21 AM
Post#4

I'm not sure about how Citrix is presented, but I know you can create a Remote Desktop App in Terminal Services, that opens the RDP connection and directly opens an Access database at a specific location.

The FE application is absolutely identical to the one in current use. It is an Access FE on a desktop, linked to a BE.
The BE is shared probably wherever it is currently shared on your company file servers, that part may or may not change, depending on your actual server set up.

nvogel
post Oct 5 2017, 06:51 AM
Post#5

Remote desktop solutions are not immune to *wired* network reliability/bandwidth issues because there is usually a wired network connection between the virtual desktop server and the file/database server. Remote desktops do potentially reduce the overall bandwidth demand, but a lot depends on what the current workloads are.

Regarding your shared databases, I would suggest that using a client-server SQL DBMS for the back-end is potentially more advantageous than moving to a remote desktop. Again, it depends on the nature of the workload, but a SQL DBMS should give you more resilience to network problems, potentially reduce the demands on bandwidth and from a licensing point-of-view is likely to be much cheaper than Citrix or Terminal Server.

Brepea
post Oct 5 2017, 07:05 AM
Post#6

...and if i wasn't confused before ,,,, now i am....

nvogel
post Oct 5 2017, 07:25 AM
Post#7

Do you have a specific question?

I think the most important advice here is to talk to your IT department or whoever supports your networks/servers. See what they suggest.

DanielPineault
post Oct 5 2017, 07:48 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

...and if i wasn't confused before ,,,, now i am....

What needs more explanation?

The basic idea is very simple, these technologies transmit the image of what is going on another PC. So you are actually working remotely on another PC/Server, but all the processing is done on the other computer.

What I recommend, is to place the BE locally on the CITRIX server as well as the FE. This way you take out the network from the database performance equation. This hinges on a couple things though:
  • Everyone is using CITRIX, or the folder can be shared to those not using CITRIX.
  • The BE folder is included in the normal corporate backup strategy!!!

The other thing that is very important with this type of implementation is to insure that the CITRIX server has the proper resources to handle to user load (RAM, CPU, Network). I faught for almost a year with a client's IT department regarding problems (they assured me the server was fine and it was a database problem), until I setup Access to log the RAM and CPU usage and was able to show that capacity was been exceeded. Once they addressed that everything ran super smoothly and still is 5 years later.

CITRIX can be a great solution, but like everything else, the way it is implemented and supervised is critical to its success.

I don't know the size of your operation, but things can get even more complicated if they get into load balancing between multiple CITRIX servers!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

Minty
post Oct 5 2017, 09:33 AM
Post#9

@nvogel - The OP has been struggling with users on WAN and not too sound wi-fi networks getting lots of connection errors / ODBC errors etc.
By his IT dept's own admission their network is "not that good"

I suggested that the only real way to overcome inherent networking issues, particularly for WAN users was to possibly look at an RDP solution.
I also mentioned that a move to SQL or similar would probably not hurt.

Your suggestion of the BE being on the same server as the RDP server is an excellent one as well if the server resources can support both functions.

nvogel
post Oct 5 2017, 12:00 PM
Post#10

Brepa didn't mention WAN. If the network is unreliable then it may be just as unreliable when he is using RDP.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 09:36 AM