UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SQL Server Migration Assistant For Access V7: Not Working With 32bit Office Installed, Any Versions    

PDTech
post Oct 15 2017, 06:34 AM
Post#1

Hi

I'm trying to use SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access v7.

I have Office 365 (Office 16, click to run) 32bit installed on my machine. If I try to use SSMA I get an error when the Assistant tries to read the MS Access files and message says that 64bit components need to be installed and gives a link which takes you to Access 2016 Runtime downloads. If I download the 64bit version of Access runtime and try to install, I get an error saying that I cannot install 64bit components alongside Office 16, Click to Run.

I can only see one download for SSMA v7 which does not specify 32bit or 64bit (I seem to recall past versions came in 32bit and 64bit flavors).

Anyone have any luck getting this to work? What's the secret formula?

Thanks
Paul

--------------------
Paul (visit my page for Access tips, tricks and samples: pdtech.co.UK).
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 15 2017, 07:58 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Well, many of the MVPs warned Microsoft this was a bad idea, but they released SSMA 7.0 ONLY for 64 bit Access and the workaround, which is to load the 64 bit runtime, is harrowing at best.

My advice would be to uninstall SSMA 7.0 and go back to an earlier version that does support 32 bit Access.

I think there was some further detail on the workaround, which I'll go try to find for you, but the path of least frustration might be to go back to a version of SSMA that you can use without jumping through hoops.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 15 2017, 08:11 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Okay, it looks like the discussion involves using a different, 32-bit version of the ACE engine, not necessarily the same version of Access's runtime to work around this problem.

Aside, I refuse to call these things "issues". They are PROBLEMS, sometime minor irritating problems, sometime big deal problems, but "issues" is what magazines and newspapers print.

Okay, that's off my chest.

So, what you can try is to get the Access 2013 32 bit runtime. It should be able to run alongside the 2016 64 bit install. However, I'm still in favor of going to a version of SSMA that doesn't require great acrobatic skill on the part of the developer. Leaving hoop jumping to the kids on the playground.

--------------------

PDTech
post Oct 16 2017, 12:35 AM
Post#4

Thanks very much George - I'll have a hunt for earlier versions of SSMA. This is likely a one-off requirement to migrate a relatively small DB from AWA to Azure SQL DB (going via Access as I've seen a few presentations recommending this approach as being relatively straightforward).

Seems a strange decision to make the latest version compatible with only 64bit Office installations - I have only ever come across one organization that was using 64bit Office (and then I suspect only because the IT staff were not aware of the differences) and they had lots of issues (problems smile.gif ) with VBA that made API calls.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 16 2017, 07:23 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

Ah, if you are moving data from an AWA's SQL Azure db to another SQL Server, that's right up my alley.

Have you seen my blogs on this topic, or this one ?

Make sure your tables are still in good shape as Access tables--properly defined Relationships with Referential Integrity enforced, for example--before upsizing again. Because of the way relationships are defined in the AWA world, this may not survive. It usually does, but validation is a good idea.

--------------------

PDTech
post Oct 23 2017, 01:06 AM
Post#6

Thanks George

Sorry for late reply - the requirement slipped down the priority list a little but I should be back on it this week.

I'll check out the links as I may have to migrate a more complex AWA for customer next month and would like to avoid any 'Gotchas'.

Cheers
Paul

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 05:46 AM