UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Collectors Db, Access 2016    

Mallard4468
post Oct 18 2017, 02:12 PM
Post#1

Hi

Over the years I have been collection minature sheet stamps and was wondering if anyone has done a database for their collection that I could have a look at.

I have browsed the internet and most on there are either too expensive or only demos

All/ any help will be well appreciated

Thanks

Dave
Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Oct 18 2017, 02:20 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Dave,

Because miniature sheet stamps is probably a little too "niche" to be widely available online, this is probably the PERFECT sort of thing to help you get some experience with the basics of Normalization. I have a couple of (non-stamp) collection databases that I could share with you, but here's the basic idea you should start with: Get a pencil and write down what details about miniature sheet stamps you want to track. For example, you'll probably want the year it was released, the printed value, the actual value and maybe the name of the artist who created the artwork for the stamps. But you might also want to track which country the stamps are from, and whether it's part of a collection/set of stamps. Maybe you have two sets of the same stamps, but they're in very different condition and you want to track them as separate items (i.e. the older, faded stamp sheet versus the nicer sheet that was stored in a cool, dry, dark place). That's when you'll get into the specific table design challenge that's going to be unique to your collection that someone else's database of audiobooks or SNL episodes won't really help you with. Try to separate these details into logical groups - each group will probably require a separate table.

Good luck,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

Mallard4468
post Oct 18 2017, 02:26 PM
Post#3

Hi Dennis

Cheers for your reply.

I did start by using pencil and paper but due to my health (depression and autism) I was getting myself frustated.

I will have another go and see what I come up with.

Been using access for a while but still cant get head round normalisation )

Mallard4468
post Oct 21 2017, 04:50 PM
Post#4

Hi

Have done a test db and would appreciate any thoughts - good or bad. smile.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Relationship.jpg ( 56.99K )Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Miniature_Sheets_Test1.zip ( 24.36K )Number of downloads: 3

Mallard4468
post Oct 22 2017, 12:48 PM
Post#5

Just realised should this post be in this section or should it be in the Table & Relationships section? If yes can someoe in admin move to correct section

Thanks

Mallard4468
post Oct 26 2017, 07:31 AM
Post#6

Hi

Have done a version of the db and would like any thoughts. I have a feeling it wont be correct but I am still learning. Lol

Thanks in advance for all advice

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Miniature_Sheets.zip ( 603.45K )Number of downloads: 6

Mallard4468
post Dec 3 2017, 04:30 AM
Post#7

HI

Did anyone get to have a look at this? smile.gif

doctor9
post Dec 4 2017, 10:12 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess Editor

Mallard4468,

This looks great so far. These suggestions are MINOR quibbles that aren't make-or-break stuff:

1. Change the name of Width(mm) to something like WidthMm to eliminate using parentheses. These special characters might cause problems later.
2. Keep your names consistent. in tblDealer you have "BoughtFrom" as the text field. The foreign key leading to this table is "BoughtFromFK". Maybe rename the foreign key "SellerFK", the table "tblSellers", and the text field in the table "SellerName", since you probably buy stamps from people who aren't technically dealers.
3. Consider NOT storing the image file in the database itself. Instead, store the path and filename for the image instead. I grant you, this is based on an issue with older .MDB files where embedded image files caused a lot of bloat. But it's also sound advice; if the database gets corrupted for some reason, you could lose all of your images if they were embedded. On the other hand, if they're stored externally (like in a folder, or a series of organized folders), they'd be safer.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

Mallard4468
post Dec 6 2017, 08:34 AM
Post#9

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the help. I will have another go to impliment your ideas

Dave

jwhite
post Dec 7 2017, 04:09 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

I would consider a junction table tblStampThemes - between tblStamps and tblTheme (add "s" as there will be multiple records). This will allow assigning a stamp to more than one theme. Have field [DateReleased], there is no need for [YearReleased].

I would also consider creating a table named tblStampInventory and leave the details of the stamp in tblStamps.

What would be a valid value for [Location]? Logically I would think you need more lookup tables for City/State - then you wouldn't have repeating data in tblStampsInventory.

--------------------

Mallard4468
post Dec 7 2017, 05:42 PM
Post#11

I would consider a junction table tblStampThemes - between tblStamps and tblTheme (add "s" as there will be multiple records). This will allow assigning a stamp to more than one theme. Have field [DateReleased], there is no need for [YearReleased].

I would also consider creating a table named tblStampInventory and leave the details of the stamp in tblStamps.

What would be a valid value for [Location]? Logically I would think you need more lookup tables for City/State - then you wouldn't have repeating data in tblStampsInventory.

Thank you for your suggestions

I did consider the junction table at first but as I am still learning I have decided to give the miniature sheets only one theme at the moment.

I will definitely think about the tbl StampsInventory at a later stage.

The [Location] field isnt for a geographic place, it means Album A-F, Album F-L etc, as in alphabetical order of country.

Just want to say thanks for all the suggestions and I will keep notes of them and will look into them as I get to understand how to do Access properly smile.gif

Dave

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 05:53 PM