UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Moving Awas To Azure, Any Versions    

johnpdmccall
post Nov 1 2017, 07:08 AM
Post#1

Hi Folks,

Has anyone got an idiots guide to the very basic outline of what is required to move by "soon to be obsolete" AWAs to SQL? Nice one Microsoft (NOT!!).

I've had a look at George's instructions on migrating to SQL but I can't get started with it yet because I'm a bit lost with actually setting up a database in Azure and keep getting asked for a subscription which I though I already had.

What I've got so far:
1) Office 365
2) Azure subscription (not sure if I've done this properly and am asking Microsoft so wish me luck with that one)
3) A test.app (Plus Grover Park George's instructions on how to migrate using the migration tool)
4) Microsoft's SQL management tool (I think that's the correct name)

What I need to know:
1) Have I got everything I need in the above list?
2) Do I need to create an SQL database first before I try to migrate the AWA?
3) Can I have an Azure subscription that isn't linked to my Office 365 account?
4) Is an Azure SQL Db really the best approach anyway? Has anyone successfully moved to Googles SQL or Amazon's Cloud?

Sorry these are probably too many questions for one post!!

--------------------
Cheers,
John
Go to the top of the page

johnpdmccall
post Nov 1 2017, 08:31 AM
Post#2

OK ignore most of my post as there was a problem with the subscription which is now fixed.

One remaining question:
4) Is an Azure SQL Db really the best/cost effective approach anyway? Has anyone successfully moved to Googles SQL or Amazon's Cloud? How do they compare?

The rest I've more or less has answered via Microsoft:

2) Do I need to create an SQL database first before I try to migrate the AWA? -
Answer= Yes
3) Can I have an Azure subscription that isn't linked to my Office 365 account?
Answer = Yes

--------------------
Cheers,
John

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 1 2017, 08:39 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Hi, John.

I'm sorry this is not working for you yet.

Let's start with the Azure subscription. If you're not sure you have one, maybe you don't, but if so, it'll look something like this:

Attached File  AzureBlade.png ( 90.47K )Number of downloads: 3

I have a number of SQL Azure dbs, as you can see; they are all installed on the server (I blanked out its name).

Do you have something like this?

How did you set up the Azure account? I understand there is a way to get a free account, but am not too familiar with that yet.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 1 2017, 08:50 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

And now I see you resolved the basic problems.

Okay, with regard to other options, yes, a lot of people like AWS (Amazon's cloud). I don't know about Google's offerings.

You can also use any hosting service that offers SQL Server databases, as mine does.

Attached File  Winhost.png ( 37.4K )Number of downloads: 3

In some ways, that approach makes more sense, primarily from the pov of cost. Azure et al have the advantage of massive support from big players, among others.

SSMS is required to manage the SQL Azure db.

--------------------

johnpdmccall
post Nov 1 2017, 08:53 AM
Post#5

Thanks George,

Yes - I've got the account set up now with a SQL db. They don't make it easy to know what the charges are. Basically ther is no charge for a subscription but there is a reange of plans for each service that you may want to use. In the UK it's £3.75 plus VAT for a basic plan db. $4.99 in the US .
Yes there is a way to get a free account provided you haven't had one before. I think Microsoft use your confirmation details (payment card or phone) to determine if you have already had a free trial. Fair enough.
So it's back to migrating the .app now!

I still would be interested to know if anyone is using other Cloud services as a back end to their Access applications. Hybrid or simply as a backend to an Access FE

--------------------
Cheers,
John

johnpdmccall
post Nov 1 2017, 08:54 AM
Post#6

Cross posting going on there! ohyeah.gif

Thanks for the additional useful info George!

--------------------
Cheers,
John

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 1 2017, 09:00 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

Well, yes, as noted, for a small number of things I still use the SS db provided by my ISP. Mostly stuff behind my website that I'm too lazy to change wink.gif I have migrated nearly everything else over to Azure, though.

I'm pretty sure Jack Leach is using AWS in preference to Azure.

I'm aware of one vertical application that uses AWS to support more than 30 clients in one state in the US. As I recall, one of the reasons he went that way was the ease of managing the infrastructure. I haven't talked to him for 8 or 9 months, though, so I don't recall the details as well as I should.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 03:57 PM