UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Caching Of Data, SharePoint Foundation 2010    

Brepea
post Nov 1 2017, 09:50 AM
Post#1

Can someone help me understand how the caching is done in SharePoint in regards to a setup where you have an Access FE and SharePoint BE (SharePoint lists)... Does anything impact the user or impact on data not being displayed immediately to user?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 1 2017, 10:14 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

I could be wrong, but I think the cached data is used only when you are working offline. Otherwise, what you see is "live", depending on network latency.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

AlbertKallal
post Nov 1 2017, 06:46 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Access always hits the local table(s) in question.

However, it will “check” if updates are required.

So you really never hit the server tables directly.

So how quick are new updates displayed? Generally, the delay is quite short 1-2 seconds in most cases.

So assuming the tables are “caught” up, and syncing is occurring, then the amount of time should be relative short.

I can’t say there is a hard and fast rule, but if things are working correctly, then updates from other users should appear in a few seconds kind of time frame.

When the tables are connected, then Access is “constantly” syncing the tables. However, your queries do in fact hit the local tables – not the SharePoint ones. The delays one sees are then that of Access “checking” to see if updates are required - if they are, then local tables are synced.

So I suppose on a poor connection, the time to see updates will of course take longer.

As a FYI: Access syncs the local tables with data. In fact even if have the “empty cache” on close. That option will thus force a full table sync before a query or use of a table occurs.

So as far as I understand this setup, you always hitting local tables - even if Access not going to keep them when you shutdown access.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 10:30 PM