UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Error On Loading, Access 2010    

rizmin
post Nov 6 2017, 01:35 AM
Post#1

HI UA Nation!

I am running an MS access application thru Network share, I have did some modification on the code thru the network and I can still open the application but for can't open from the others computer thru the same network and appearing the error as in the attached. How I can rectify this error? What was the possible mistake was happened during my editing?

Thank you all .
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Capture.JPG ( 55.02K )Number of downloads: 12

Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 6 2017, 06:44 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

The error message says there is a network connection problem. "The network connection may have been lost."

That means there is probably something wrong with your network.

It is possible there is a problem with the accdb, but it is more likely that the error message is accurate--there is a problem connecting to the accdb across your organization's network.

Contact your IT support to determine what, if anything, is wrong with the network.

It is also possible that someone with a newer version of Access--either 2013 or 2016--has opened a shared accdb. That resets any references to that newer version. I would investigate that as well.

If you are letting more than one person open the same accdb Front End, this is only one of the problem that can cause. Of course, they should all have their own separate copy of the Front End which all connect to the same shared accdb Back End. No one should ever open the Back End directly. Make sure this is also not the problem.

rizmin
post Nov 6 2017, 07:27 AM
Post#3

Hi George,

How i can use any MS ACCESS program thru network without any issues? Any suggested article to use the MS Access thru network?

Thank you

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 6 2017, 07:59 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Well, there are many articles discussing the most appropriate deployment for Access applications.

The standard method is to start with a split database.

Splitting means that you create TWO accdbs. One contains only the tables. The other contains the interface objects--forms and reports, queries and code (VBA or macros).

The accdb with the tables in it is called "Back End". The accdb with the interface objects in it is called "Front End."

The Back End, or BE, is placed in a shared network location.

Each user in your organization gets a copy of the Front End, or FE.

YOU, the developer, keep the master copy of the Front End in a location to which only you have permissions. That way you can continue to a) develop it without interfering with users, and b) restore or deploy new copies of the FE to users as needed.

A search in Bing or Google on "Front End" or "Back End" or "split Access" (or variations of those terms) will turn up numerous discussions. There are some good ones here, including our Wiki. Here's one solid discussion.

I don't know for sure that this problem is directly the result of an unsplit accdb (you didn't mention one way or the other), but if you have yet done that, today would be a good day to take care of it.

rizmin
post Jan 11 2018, 12:35 AM
Post#5

Hi UA Nation,

In relations to the below, I am sharing the main accdb on the network not splitted anyway, If i did any changes in my computer through the network shared main accdb others will pop up with the attached error, but if i done any small changes on the code like just adding comment or anything with " ' " they are able to open it. i cannot imaging why it is happening.... any setting over there that it can be resolved... Thank you
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Capture.JPG ( 55.02K )Number of downloads: 1

JonSmith
post Jan 11 2018, 01:40 AM
Post#6

rizmin, George gave you some essential advice there and you have been really dismissive of it by saying its not split anyway.

What he is suggesting will go a long way to resolving issues and if you do not do it you are almost guaranteed to get some nasty issues in the future. If you want help and want to fix it then you need to do this and basically every time you get any issue this will be the first thing suggested. Trust the collective knowledge here and do it.

He also indicated that you might have a versioning issue, Access is not great at forward compatibility. You indicate MS Access 2010 but if you have a later issue you might be adding 2013/2016 features that stop it working for earlier users.

My gut here however says that its to do with drive mapping/UNC paths. Do the other users have the same drive letters as you?
This post has been edited by JonSmith: Jan 11 2018, 01:41 AM

rizmin
post Jan 11 2018, 01:56 AM
Post#7

HI Jon,

Thanks for your reply....
We are using same drive since we have centralised folders to share the file and attachment which is addressed through the path name, hence everyone can access it..

I am fear if I do the split database the data maybe lost, since we are using the database now more than 8 months with the main file without doing split the db.

If I do the split the FE should be access only by the user, and the BE mean only the data tables.. So mainly I am doing the modification only on the forms and queries not in the table.. So that's why i drop the splitting idea... maybe I am wrong since I am not an expert here..... But I need to learn it more to find a way to solve this issue...

Thanks again and great day ahead....

JonSmith
post Jan 11 2018, 02:41 AM
Post#8

No data will be lost and you would be wrong to think that splitting would only be a fix if tables were the issue.
Read the article George provided and then split it, then I'm sure we can crack this.

Remember, each user gets a copy of the FE locally on the C drive.

Edit: To give you piece of mind, backup the unsplit database. This should be common practice of course.
This post has been edited by JonSmith: Jan 11 2018, 02:43 AM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2018 - 02:11 PM