UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Query Formula To Highlight A Change In Row Value, Access 2016    

TheMatador
post Nov 7 2017, 05:39 AM
Post#1

Hi,

I would like to add a formula column to one of my queries that will highlight when there is a change in value in one of the other columns (this will be sorted alphanumerically).
I have attached an excel spreadsheet example of what I am essentially trying to achieve.
Any assistance in helping me achieve this would be much appreciated if it's possible.
Thanks in advance!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  UtterAccessQ.zip ( 7.38K )Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

BruceM
post Nov 7 2017, 07:41 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

highlight when there is a change in value in one of the other columns

Just to be clear, you can't apply conditional formatting to a query cell. For that you would need to use a form or report.

The intent of "highlight" is not clear, nor do I understand what you mean by "a change in value in one of the other columns". A change from what? Which rows in the spreadsheet are intended to illustrate that concept?

TheMatador
post Nov 7 2017, 08:13 AM
Post#3

Hi,
Apologies for not making it clear what I meant. I can see that now smile.gif
In the example I provided I mean every time there is a change in the ProductID value (in my first column). And by "highlight", what I mean is I would like something to flag a change in ProductID. In my example, my last column is the one that does this. So I would like a formula that looks at the ProductID value in each row and then flags when it is different to the value in the preceding row.
Does this make more sense?

Jeff B.
post Nov 7 2017, 08:18 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

"preceding row" implies an order. Access tables store data in a not-ordered, not comprehensible (not to normal humans) sequence.

First, how are YOU determining sequence/order?

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

TheMatador
post Nov 7 2017, 08:32 AM
Post#5

The data in the query is sorted alphanumerically, so that's how I am determining the sequence/order.

Jeff B.
post Nov 7 2017, 12:59 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

You have a field named [ProductID] that you're sorting alphabetically. Tell us more about (or provide examples of) what the field [ProductID] contains. What is the datatype of that field?

It would help us help you to get an idea what your Access data structure looks like (rather than an Excel spreadsheet).

More info, please...

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 03:16 AM