UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sort By Value With No Sort Order Identified, Access 2007    

Kruzer
post Nov 13 2017, 02:40 PM
Post#1

I have a field where the values are set in a value list, not from a table. This field is included on the detail section of a report. Is there a way I can set the sort order of the value as a temporary measure until I can create a table with a defined sort order? E.g. First = 1, Front = 2, Middle = 3, End = 4, Last = 5 No Preference = ???. Then all those entries would then be grouped together in a logical order.

--------------------
Cheers,
Go to the top of the page

BruceM
post Nov 13 2017, 03:00 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

What exactly do you mean when you say the field values are set in a value list?

The best I can suggest is that you may be able to use either the Switch or Choose function, but I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. Is there a stored value? If so, is it a number or is it text? Can you provide a sample (typing it here is OK for now) of the data as it is presented now, and then the way you want it to be?

Kruzer
post Nov 13 2017, 03:13 PM
Post#3

I have a drop-down field on a form for [Location Preference] where the source data is from a value list. This field is used to indicate where in a parade line-up the group would prefer to be. The items listed in the value list are all text (First, Front, Middle, End, Last=Santa and No Preference). If I sort the report alphabetically, then the list is not in the correct order, i.e. End would be before First. On the report itself, I show the location preference, group name, etc. The purpose of this list is to start putting the groups in order for the parade with the hope of being able to accommodate each group's location preference. There are exceptions, e.g. RCMP are always First and Santa is always Last.

E.g.:

Middle, group name 1, reg. rec'd...
No Preference, Group name 2, Reg. rec'd...
Front, group name 3, Reg rec'd
Front, group name 3, Reg rec'd
Middle, group name 1, reg. rec'd...
No Preference, Group name 2, Reg. rec'd...

--------------------
Cheers,

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 08:17 PM