UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fe & Different Be, Access 2016    

lord_kaiser
post Nov 15 2017, 05:40 AM
Post#1

Hi,

I have recently created a new database and rolled out my project. The new database is split and the FE is linked to my BE

We also have a legacy database.

I just wanted to know if it was possible to link my new FE to the legacy backend as well?

The legacy BE tables are different to the new one. If it were possible how would I be able to link both the BE to the new FE?

The reason I want to do this is because I want to start building reports to extract information from both the BE?

Apologies if a similar question has been addressed but I could not find anything specific to my query.

Thanks in advance!!

--------------------
Regards,
lord_kaiser
Go to the top of the page

nuclear_nick
post Nov 15 2017, 06:32 AM
Post#2

Yes, it is possible... I've connected to (off the top of my head) as many as 5 different BE's. It's done pretty much the same way you connected to the first...

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

projecttoday
post Nov 15 2017, 06:45 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Is this legacy database an Access database?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

lord_kaiser
post Nov 15 2017, 03:04 PM
Post#4

Hi projecttoday,

Yes it is an access database. The legacy one is in .mdb and the new one is accdb

Nuclearnick I tried to use the link table to link to the legacy’s one it won’t let me.

Does this mean I will need to import these tables from the legacy and then split the dB?

Thanks

--------------------
Regards,
lord_kaiser

projecttoday
post Nov 15 2017, 04:00 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Can you open Access and then open the BE database on the computer where the FE which you want to link to the BE is located?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

John Vinson
post Nov 15 2017, 04:01 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Yes, you can link to both. The Linked Table Manager won't do it for you though - you need to use the External Data tab on the Ribbon, using the Link option rather than Importing. You can the create queries using tables from either or both backends.

One limitation is that you cannot create an enforced Relationship between tables in different databases. Another is that the Linked Table Manager can be funky - you may get asked for the location of every table when you try to refresh links. It still works but it can be annoying.

--------------------
John W. Vinson
Wysard of Information

lord_kaiser
post Nov 16 2017, 05:01 PM
Post#7

Projecttoday/John,

Thank you for your assistance.

I have followed your steps and my interface linked to the legacy BE without any issues.

If i run into any issues, i'll keep you posted!!

Once again Thank You!!

--------------------
Regards,
lord_kaiser

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2017 - 07:03 PM