UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's Your 'bag'?    

nuclear_nick
post Nov 15 2017, 09:11 AM
Post#1

A co-worker and I got into a discussion about what equipment we use, and what we would use, as far as getting our work done, specifically monitors, keyboards, mice.

Until he used my computer for a day, he had two widescreen monitors side by side, a 'gaming' keyboard (for the macro keys and colors), and for now, normal mouse.

I've two monitors as well, but one is swiveled into "legal pad" view. I'm using a Kinesis Advantage keyboard (the 'contoured' one) and a trackball.

So... curiously... if you like your setup, what is it? If you could change one thing (and money weren't involved), what would you change?

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.
Go to the top of the page

BuzyG
post Nov 15 2017, 09:35 AM
Post#2

My set up, at work, has not changed for 6 years now. 2x 23 in monitors in landscape orientation, boggo key board and mouse. We still run windows7. LoL

--------------------
Live to Surf

nuclear_nick
post Nov 15 2017, 10:11 AM
Post#3

Win7 Enterprise, Office 2010, Skype 2015... those last two make for some interesting reference 'issues'. smile.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

nuclear_nick
post Nov 15 2017, 10:17 AM
Post#4

Had someone from HR giving a tour... remarked on our monitors... (in a dept of 8, all of us have two).

"They'd probably have more if we let them... they do a lot..." overheard by the HR person.

Wow. Sometimes it's little things like that... make me feel useful.

(And maybe I can get 2-3 more monitors... heh heh heh...)

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

River59
post Nov 15 2017, 10:20 AM
Post#5

I use 2 monitors as well. I couldn't do this particular job without them since we have 'mirror' databases where changes/modifications/new functionality/bugs, etc. get applied to 4 different databases. Using one monitor is a nightmare!

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

nuclear_nick
post Nov 15 2017, 10:44 AM
Post#6

Almost forgot... since they aren't here today... we've three 'floating people' that carry their laptops with them, so they have three when they are here... the two on their desk and the one on the laptop itself.

I'd be jealous, if the laptops didn't run with less power and space as my desktop. smile.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

merlenicholson
post Nov 15 2017, 02:35 PM
Post#7

I've updated my monitor layout in June '17, and I'm very happy with replacing my old 4-monitor setup that lasted 10 years. I'm a programmer, and never play games. I would not change anything.

Two monitors, 4K, 28" & 24" one in portrait.

My primary monitor is a 28" LG 4K 3840 x 2160 rez (centered on my eyes), and a 24" version of the same monitor rotated in portrait (2160 x 3840 rez)on the right side. I use the right monitor for reference material, PDF's, help pages, web references. Both are set to 125% scaling to accommodate my aging eyes.

Keyboard is a gaming Logitech G510s because of its backlit keys and 18x3 programmable keys. No longer available., and a Logitech M510 wireless mouse.

One last thing - software - I use DisplayFusion - which gives Windows much needed multiple monitor support for flexible taskbar, wallpaper, window management, snapping, mouse and much more. There's a trial and free versions, although I recommend the paid lifetime version.

--------------------
Merle Nicholson
Ninety percent of all mental errors are in your head. - Yogi Berra -

River59
post Nov 15 2017, 03:09 PM
Post#8

I have my laptop as well. I would work remote more and just have the laptop but it would be a nightmare. I come into the office because it's easier with 2 large monitors to work with. I don't even like the laptop for meetings.

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

nuclear_nick
post Nov 16 2017, 06:44 AM
Post#9

Merlen...

Almost forgot about multiple bars... we use Ultramon, but I'd be interested in trying something else, so thanks for the tip.

I have a sister who works for a small police department, so she works both dispatch and 911. When I went for a visit she had 5 monitors, 3 keyboards... I've been told they added a 6th on the wall for everyone, so that's 6 monitors, 3 keyboards...

I really like my keyboard. I'm not the greatest touch typist, but this keyboard has been helping. I'm okay with letters... symbols and some of the other OS key combinations (ctl-alt-delete, for example) I catch myself looking.

The monitors and computer are company supplied... can't do much about them. They're all Dell. I don't really have issues with it. Happy that they don't make me use their keyboard and mouse, because they buy them in bulk, and the cheap ones at that. (Haven't tried bringing in my own monitor(s), as I think I'd have trouble getting them back. "Oh, it's my monitor..." "Yeah, right...")

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

doctor9
post Nov 16 2017, 10:37 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess Editor

At work, I use an LCD system. Lowest Common Denominator. Which user has the oldest version of Windows? I want that version of Windows. Who has the oldest version of Office? Give me that. What's the lowest resolution monitor someone's using my databases on? I use that resolution.

I see people with multiple monitors, but I've been using one since 1990 or so, and I use ALT-TAB pretty efficiently to switch windows, so I doubt I'd really enjoy two screens.

Now for my home setup... I'm building a system for video/audio editing, so that's a little fancier.

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

DanielPineault
post Nov 16 2017, 10:42 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

@Dennis

You'd love a dual monitor setup! You place the GUI in one and the VBE in the other. No more flip flopping. It makes copy/pasting names ... so much easiser, no more alt-tab...

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

nuclear_nick
post Nov 16 2017, 10:59 AM
Post#12

@Dennis

That happened to me this year... I knew a few people that got 'new' machines recently and ended up with 64 bit, so when mine got replaced, I asked for 32, because of 'LCD'.

I don't know what I'm gonna do when we're all at 64... hopefully the tools I use will be ported over by then...

I love the dual setup. Like Daniel says... and the one I use for the VBE is in 'legal pad' view. (To be perfectly honest, I was the first in my dept to request an additional monitor, and showed them a picture that Allen Browne had on his site of his setup, which helped seal the deal.)

The keyboard was quite the accident. I had been wanting one for a while, but brand new they run 300 or more. So... I went 'eBaying' and got one for 200, and I was able to pay it. At first I tried it at home, but the family rebelled, so I took it to work.

I like the trackball because now my hand knows where the ball is, I don't have to feel around for a mouse, so I can do a lot without having to look away from the screen.

It's interesting seeing what other people have, though.. maybe something I can get to improve my speed. smile.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

doctor9
post Nov 16 2017, 11:29 AM
Post#13

UtterAccess Editor

Nick,

Deep in my basement storage room is a nice old "Mechanical" keyboard with the really satisfying "click" feel. I'm a pretty fast typist, and I always loved the responsiveness of that one. Just need to figure out how to make it compatible with these newer PC's, as the plug is one of those REALLY big circular ones. I have occasionally gazed at the fancy shmancy gaming keyboards with the lit-up letters, but I just can't see myself using it. My days of late-night shoot-em-up games are very rare at my age. smile.gif

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

JonSmith
post Nov 16 2017, 12:11 PM
Post#14

I guess I'm alot less sedentary then alot of you guys and girls. I move desk every single day and often opt for a random location such as a bench along the main corridor, a swinging egg chair in the education centre or one of the big meeting chairs in corporate.
I find its good to always maintain an air of mystery and make it so if you don't want to be found you won't be.
I have also always had two or more jobs so switched desks halfway through every day out of necessity, I now do it cause I get bored being in the same place.

Dual monitors is the norm at my company for everyone IT and non IT. Dennis, you really are being a dinosaur by fighting against it!
As you may have guessed from my frequent movement I have a laptop, so I work anywhere including the train. My mouse is just a mouse and I have a normal keyboard when I'm docked at a desk and have two screens meaning my laptop stays shut. (All our desks have docks so we can hotdesk but in practice many people have their own seat they stick to each day).

River59
post Nov 16 2017, 12:26 PM
Post#15

I'm with you, doctor9. I love the old keyboards. I had an IBM that I used for years but like you, adapting it to today's computer is a chore. I learned to type on a Royal upright decades and decades ago and use to type 110 wpm. I can only do about 80 on these silly keyboards we use today. It is impossible for me to type on a laptop keyboard.

I do recommend 2 large monitors though. You will get spoiled real fast if you try it!

--------------------

merlenicholson
post Nov 19 2017, 01:45 PM
Post#16

Doctor9 . . There's a lot to be said for mechanical keys, and there are still a few being made that are of high quality, and even a few that look exactly like the old metal frame IBM keyboards. They're all relatively expensive. But for less than 18 bucks you can still use your old clicky keyboard with a couple of adapters. One to convert the big round DIN connector to a PS2 and another to adapt the PS2 to USB.
PS2 Adapter and USB adapter

--------------------
Merle Nicholson
Ninety percent of all mental errors are in your head. - Yogi Berra -

DanielPineault
post Nov 19 2017, 02:17 PM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

@doctor9

This (PS/2 Female to USB Male Adapter) has kept some of my beloved peripherals alive!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

BuzyG
post Nov 20 2017, 05:55 AM
Post#18

Doctor9... I know what you mean about user screen res. Learnt that lesson a few times. It's so easy to fall for setting up a form that fit's your own screen and not all of your users. there are various tricks and software that purport to solving such issues. None of these work as well as ensuring the form fits worst case screen, in the first place.

--------------------
Live to Surf

nuclear_nick
post Nov 20 2017, 06:20 AM
Post#19

@BuzyG

Our IT department fixed the resolution issue... Locked those settings after setting everyone's for them.

<sigh>

Love the regi... er... company I work for, sometimes.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

BuzyG
post Nov 20 2017, 09:21 AM
Post#20

Can your users still use the magnifier tool though. That is the one I have most trouble with. Several users have it set to 150%. pullhair.gif

--------------------
Live to Surf

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 06:16 PM