UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Format A .pdf Print For A Specific Printer, Access 2010    

PeterK
post Nov 16 2017, 05:34 PM
Post#1

I have an application that displays most reports as .pdf's which the user can then print through Acrobat Reader. The reports are formatted to use the default printer and this works fine on all PC's except where the default printer isn't a page printer but a label printer.

This is the typical code to generate and display the .pdf.

CODE
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "rptqryExhibitionList1", acFormatPDF, "C:\dgam1\documents\cl10334b.pdf", True

Here is the Page Set Up:

Attached File  UA_16112017a.png ( 20.01K )Number of downloads: 0

What I would like to do is offer the user a dialog box based on a database table flag ( only applicable on PC's where the default printer isn't a page printer) to select a printer before the .pdf displays. I have done this when sending output to a hard copy printer but I cannot see how to do this when using the built in Access pdf formatter via acFormatPDF.

Another option might be to build the run-time application with a specific page printer - but the problem is that I don't have the same set of printers as the client and if I format for my page printer, this causes a run time pop-up saying Access can't find the printer and offering to use the default - which in this case is no good as the default is a label printer. You don't get the option to choose a printer.

Any suggestions on how to handle this problem of displaying .pdfs on a PC where the default printer isn't a page printer would be good. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Nov 27 2017, 08:23 AM
Post#2

pdf's dont run thru a printer, they run thru the pdf maker.(but looks like a printer)
youd have to setup the pdf writer (properties) with settings to simulate your printer settings.
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 03:45 AM