UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Repost Topic ( Add Blank Lines On The Report), Access 2007    

phil_andre
post Nov 17 2017, 03:34 AM
Post#1

Hi Support Team,

I just want to re post this topic for someone might knows in this important requirements.

Here is the link and kindly download my demo on the last page on the given link below..

http://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php...2046269&hl=

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

projecttoday
post Nov 17 2017, 04:20 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Here it is.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ReportSampleByDBG.zip ( 76.44K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

phil_andre
post Nov 17 2017, 04:36 AM
Post#3

Hi Sir,

Already downloaded that database before from DBGuy. But it is totally different on what i required.

I attached my demo table to illustrate what exactly i need... ive'd made (3) report design and that same output report i need.

But i need the auto draw row lines automatically instead of adding manually blank lines on the sub details itself..

No issue for the auto sequence if not appear on the blank rows ,, the most important for me is to fit the blank row lines automatically and the rows should be can grow...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Phil_Demo.zip ( 49.52K )Number of downloads: 2

projecttoday
post Nov 17 2017, 05:03 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I changed it. What is wrong with it?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

phil_andre
post Nov 17 2017, 06:06 AM
Post#5

If you changed it, then what if the the field details set to can grow - yes...

So i tried to input with more text on the filed that grow... and after that, some rows move to the 2nd page which is not fitting....

Look, the reason why we need this kind of auto reporting in access is because, we usually used the manual book contains of 50 leaves..

now we moved on access, and they want to be the same template on the manual template designed which no white blank page to be displayed on the botton..

should all fill with black borders on the details...

I have a problem in access if you set the field to grow to true... because sometimes we are typing long text... so the field should be increased and while the border will maintain to fit always on the current page...

the technical issue here if you set yes the grow in properties... so how we can maintain it in 100% no + -

JonSmith
post Nov 17 2017, 07:15 AM
Post#6

I have struggled with this in the past. In my opinion its too inconsistent as it can also be affected by print margins and its basically just a pain.
I would suggest that you abandon doing this in an Access report and push the data to a Word document or Excel file.
Word documents can be done really easily with XML (even easier if you have Word 2013) and Excel is straightforward too.

JS

projecttoday
post Nov 17 2017, 07:33 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

The sample which I posted will print blank lines after the filled lines. It does this automatically. It prints however many lines there are in tblNumbers. It assumes each line is the same height. Please show some appreciation. If you want additional functionality, you will have to add it.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

phil_andre
post Nov 17 2017, 08:09 AM
Post#8

I got also stress in this kind of report and ive'd done a lot of research.. but i keep working on it till i will find a solution some methods. but even on the internet search this topic also been asked but there is no exact answer,,, there will be no problem if the height been maintain...

but our requirements is to increase the height due to more text input... so i have to tabular it and set the field to can grow = yes...

as i have observed, some experts doing union or by VBA by setting to add rows = xx... and that is okay if you disable the grow in properties...

that's why i have 3 design report in my phil_demo.accdb and it you preview the same we need... and that is the sample for the 3 requisition form in ms access.

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 17 2017, 08:14 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

PMFJI:

"...even on the internet search this topic also been asked but there is no exact answer..."

And that, I would suggest, should be a good reason to consider alternatives, such as Word, where you CAN obtain the kind of control you want. I'm not sure if Excel would be much better.

However, when you've not found a solution that works, it's often more productive to try a different approach.

Best of luck with your project.

--------------------

phil_andre
post Nov 17 2017, 08:27 AM
Post#10

Anyway, i would like to say many thanks to UtterAccess team for all your support.

I will keep trying to work with this till end of this month, if really not, then i have to move on alternative way...

But this is not recommended in excel or word as we are working in one database and we make automation all the request on the system... only we need to amend our report template design for our material request.

Thanks and have a great weekend to all.

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 17 2017, 08:32 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

A good friend of mine likes to compare Access to a canoe on a river.

His analogy is that you can paddle the canoe upstream, against the current. Or, you can float downstream, with the current.

You'll work much harder paddling upstream than floating along downstream, using the paddle only to guide and correct the canoe's path.

When Access makes it harder to do something, you're "paddling upstream". You might get there eventually, but at a cost. Sometimes, it makes more sense to take the opposite approach instead.

--------------------

RJD
post Nov 17 2017, 01:37 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Phil: I am late to the party, but have been following the thread along. Clearly, if you add the blank records in a separate table, as was suggested, the lines on the report will fill out to the end of the page. You don't need to pad the data table. You will see how I added the extra table, as was suggested before, and folded the lines into each query using UNION. It is not necessary to know how many lines to add - just add many lines and then deal with any overflow to another page. And this deals with tall controls due to long text fields growing. You could simply discard the extra page(s) with only empty controls, but see my modification to your db where I blanked out the sections on any pages where no data are displayed. This should avoid someone forgetting to discard extra non-blank pages.

The only thing I did not solve for you was the total page count. So I just numbered the pages and eliminated the "of Pages" part. I'll let you or someone else deal with that if necessary.

I think this incorporates several suggestions offered above, but deals with a bit more.

See if this gets you further toward what you are trying to do.

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Phil_Demo_Rev1.zip ( 36.88K )Number of downloads: 7

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

phil_andre
post Nov 17 2017, 10:44 PM
Post#13

Dear Mr. Joe,

Greetings!

thanks for that revised database and you did it almost 100% against our needs.

But there is a blank page on the last page.. If you can removed that, then it would be 100%.

Appreciated and thanks a lot for the support...

RJD
post Nov 18 2017, 12:19 AM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

You are very welcome. Glad that meets your needs (almost, except for the trailing blank page).

As to the last blank page, I experimented with a couple of approaches - but that did not eliminate the blank page. Perhaps someone else could find a way to eliminate that page. Failing that, you could simply put the blank page back into the paper tray. Meanwhile, you have an approach that does what you requested,

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

phil_andre
post Nov 18 2017, 01:23 AM
Post#15

Thanks Joe for the great skill, and i will look forward that someone could support to eliminate that blank page,, i will also work on that if i can eliminate it because my page footer will be page of page and it will be counted as well. it is 99.9% as of now...

thanks.

Phil Andre.

RJD
post Nov 19 2017, 03:09 PM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

Hi again Phil: I had some time today so decided to look back at this. First, I added the Page of Pages back to the report, using [Pages]-1 as the total Pages count. This should always be true since the way we are dealing with the extra lines and hiding the controls on the last page will always produce an extra page that is blank.

Second, I added a form for the user to either Preview or Print the report. If Preview, the last blank page will appear. But if Print, the last page will NOT print, since I added code to eliminate the last page, which will always be blank.

All this is done in Rev2.

Then, I noticed that you are doing a lot of extra work to get the queries and reports, treating each MainID as a separate query and report. There is really only one query and one report, with just a selection of MainID. So I made a form where you can select the MainID and use that in a single query/report to produce what you want. And I eliminated all but one query and one report, and used criteria in the query, against the MainID on the form, to limit the report contents. That is in Rev3.

The only thing remaining is the blank trailing page in print preview. Can you live with that? It will not be printed if the form is used to print the report. And perhaps still someone can find a way to eliminate the last blank page from the preview.

HTH
Joe

NOTE: See the post below for a much easier/simpler way to do this. Should have thought of this to begin with! smirk.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Phil_Demo_Rev2.zip ( 119.32K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  Phil_Demo_Rev3.zip ( 29.7K )Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

RJD
post Nov 20 2017, 09:10 AM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

Okay. It occurred to me late last night (our local time) that there was a much simpler way to do this. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier (trying to do this the hard way, I guess), but at least it is here now, and only took a few minutes to fix.

I took out all the On Format code from the three sections of the previous report iteration. Then I added the ExtraLine number to both parts of the UNION query (with 0 as the value in the primary query part), with the ExtraLine limited to one less than the ExtraLine number on the last page. I put that ExtraLine number in a hidden textbox in the report header, if it was greater than 0 (the value set for a primary records in the query) I set the TempVar. This always got the ExtraLine number from the first record on the last page, which contains the overflow and in the previous iteration that page was present but blank.

In the form that previews the report, I set the TempVar value to 23 to start (as a safety feature - remember, this value stays until the application is closed) , I opened the report, thus creating the new TempVar value for that report (the MainID being chosen on the form), closed the report, then opened it again with the new TempVar value (the number of extra lines to add).

This creates the report with the correct number of pages, all padded out, with no blank (or overflow) pages.

See if this isn't better, and simpler, now. And, again, sorry I did not think of this approach to begin with!

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Phil_Demo_Rev4.zip ( 32.15K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------

phil_andre
post Nov 20 2017, 10:42 PM
Post#18

Dear Mr. Joe,

Impressive, you did a very good job and great skill on eliminating those dummy page. I will check this out today and let you know my feedback but what ived seen now is 100% after downloading this table.

I suppose to reply this thread yesterday but am quite busy, i have nothing more to say but thank you very much for this effort and spending time.

Thanks a lot for the usual support.

RJD
post Nov 21 2017, 12:19 AM
Post#19

UtterAccess VIP

You are very welcome, Phil. Glad that meets your needs.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards
Joe

from phone

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 05:00 AM