UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Make Table Action Query Or Dao Make Table?, Access 2016    

Oblio
post Nov 25 2017, 04:15 PM
Post#1

Just wondering if it is more advantageous to create an action query to make a table or using a DAO records. It is going to be a split database on a local pc but may eventually make it to a server if we can ever afford one...

Thanks for your expert opinions and advice in advance!

Bill
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 25 2017, 05:14 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,

Advantageous in what way? I think each approach will have pros and cons based on the circumstance. One approach may be better in some cases, while another approach is better on other circumstances. Have you tried either approach and found one way more "advantageous" than the other? What were your concerns for using either approach?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Oblio
post Nov 25 2017, 06:15 PM
Post#3

Thank you so much for answering me, I sincerely appreciate it!

As I am very inexperienced in this area, I wondered if there was a good tutorial on the advantages and disadvantages of these methods to create a table. I am especially concerned about what will happen if I split my database, use it only locally,then migrate to Server, and then to SQL Server Express...

Would you be able to recommend a good article or tutorial on the advantages and disadvantages of each method?

I just want to make sure I know where I am going before I spend a ton of time on the program...

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question!

Bill

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 26 2017, 09:01 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

PMFJI:

I think theDBguy has already given you the most appropriate answer: " I think each approach will have pros and cons based on the circumstance."

I am not aware of any definitive authority which could offer you a more concrete answer.

Quite frankly, an application in which one would be creating tables on a regular basis raises another question to begin with.

Why would you need, or want, to create new tables as part of a working application at all? Is this a one-time process to be done as part of creating a new database? Or are you thinking about some sort of process that would require temporary tables?

Other than those two scenarios, it's hard to come up with any circumstances where one would be interested in creating new tables on a regular schedule either way.

--------------------

Oblio
post Nov 26 2017, 02:35 PM
Post#5

Thanks everyone for your input...it is sincerely appreciated!

You guessed correctly that this is a one time create a database table from some existing items in the old program to a new database and new table which will also include new fields not found in the old database.

I thought there might be a few points of advantage over using one method for another, and I was also concerned with splitting the database on a local machine and then to a server....again, probably nothing much to worry about...just thought I would get a short summary of ads and disaster. ...

I see that is not the case so I will keep researching!

Many thanks for taking the time to answer everyone. ..hope you are having a great day !

Bill

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 09:58 AM