UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Full Version And Runtime, Access 2010    

BobDarlington
post Nov 27 2017, 06:11 PM
Post#1

I have a client using my application with 20 users on a network server with 2010 Access runtime.
Is it possible to install a new full version of Access (for my own testing) on the same server whilst retaining the runtime version for other users?
Or would the full version installation overwrite the runtime and require existing users to obtain new (and expensive) Access licences?

Bob Darington
Brisbane
Go to the top of the page

ScottGem
post Nov 27 2017, 07:53 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

If the users are running Access from the server you are making a big mistake. Each user should have the front end installed on their local PCs and only a back end with only the tables shared on the server.

This would also make your testing easier as you can test on your own PC with test data. Then deploy the new front end when needed.

--------------------
Scott <>
Scottgem's Blog
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

AlbertKallal
post Nov 27 2017, 09:29 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

You likely have to clear up what you mean by users running Access on the server. If you mean a file server, then of course access was never required to be installed on the server.

However, my “spider” sense suggests you talking about terminal server. (That’s about the only context that could make sense here).

In this case you likely did want to use the runtime install for users since this gets around the need for the licensing server to maintain the licensing requirements for office.

You should be able to install the full version for development. While in theory you can’t really install both access and runtime on the machine at the same time, for a terminal server such an install should keep the runtime licensing issue intact.

Keep in mind that the path names, the msaccess.exe and everything for the full version installs EXACTLY to the same location as the runtime version.

The only “issue” I can think of is that installing Access on the server would break the free licensing for all users of the runtime – this assumes you are using the terminal services here – and as noted, this is likely what you must have meant.

I mean, if you place some pdf files, some excel files, or some access data on a server, you NEVER had to install any software on that server for users on your network to launch and view say a pdf file. All your software runs local on each computer and all the server is doing is “dishing” out files.

So at the end of the day, you never did require access runtime on the server and your users are not touching nor using any of the software on the server. This being the case, then installing the full edition will not make any difference since it is each workstation that is running access.

As noted, the exception here is if your users are “remote desk toping” into that server. In this case, installing the full edition of Access could affect licensing requirements. I don’t think installing full Access will break the free unlimited number of users for the runtime, but I not tested such a setup.

So you have to clear up if users are just consuming some files like pdf or Access data files, or users are "remote" desktop users on that server.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

BobDarlington
post Nov 28 2017, 12:04 AM
Post#4

Thanks Albert.
Yes, the users are 'remote desk topping' into the server using the Access Runtime installed there.
I guess the only way to find out the licencing implications are to try it out.
Bob Darlington

BobDarlington
post Nov 28 2017, 12:10 AM
Post#5

Thanks Scott.
Each user has their own copy of the front end on the server with the back-end installed in a separate folder.
They use Remote Desktop to access the program.
I've been using this configuration with different clients for over ten years without a problem.
I can test all I want on my development system, but when problems occur on the client server, it is nice to be able to step through my code to isolate.

Bob Darlington

AlbertKallal
post Nov 28 2017, 12:40 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Glad to see my "spider" sense made some "sense".

And yes, also concur that we often place a copy on the server to "try" and "test" on their platform - and for a minor bug fix, then this can save time to test and fix the bug.

I seem to recall that this does "not" break the licensing issue. Your idea of "trying" this is a rather good answer - but I do recall this setup does work and should not effect your users.

The only suggest would be that each of the users that launch your app are using a shortcut with the /runtime switch in their shortcuts.

This will ensure they "continue" to run as runtime. And again my spider bets are you do use a shortcut with /runtime.

(and often the /runtime switch is a great way to lock down your application from design changes and prying eyes).

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

BobDarlington
post Nov 28 2017, 07:21 PM
Post#7

Thanks again Albert.
I'm using SageKeys StartAccess.exe to run the runtime, so I guess that does the same thing as the '/Runtime switch.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 12:10 AM