UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Place Attachment Field From Employee Table To Another Table, Access 2016    

Vector1
post Dec 1 2017, 11:33 AM
Post#1

Hi,
I have a form which basically needs to be signed by the operator who is recording data. Need a button on the form for the operator to click so that it compares the EmpID in the form to the id in the employee table and add attachment field to the data table.

bound table (tblDestination) to the form:
EndID
EndTask1
EndTask2
EndTask3
EndSign (attachment field where I need scanned signature copied)
EmpID (unbound field -lookup based on login)

tblEmp
UserID
UserName
UserDigiSign (attachment field which has scanned signature)

Can someone help?
Go to the top of the page

Jeff B.
post Dec 1 2017, 11:42 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

You've explained 'how' you're trying to do something. Why? That is, what will having this solved then allow you to do? (I ask because if we know more about the underlying situation, we may be able to provide more appropriate suggestions.)

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 1 2017, 11:46 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

If I understand what you are doing, there is no need to copy the image itself, at least in database terms. Perhaps you need to have the actual image file inserted into the record for LEGAL reasons. As Jeff pointed out, we can't know "why" you want to do this.

All you need to save in the table is the Foreign Key from the record in the images table which corresponds to the required image.

That's one of the real advantages of a relational database; the ability to use Foreign Keys to identify relationships rather than copying entire fields around.

--------------------

Vector1
post Dec 1 2017, 12:00 PM
Post#4

Correct. I need to show that the task got completed and who completed it for "Legal Certification" reasons.
I don't know how the FK would work. There may be more operators working on the same or different records. I provided a snippet of the tblDestination. This table has a lot more fields as there are number of tasks and measurements and a number of signatures.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 1 2017, 12:18 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Okay, if the legal requirement is that the actual image file must be embedded within the record in the destination table, that's one thing. However, it looks like the actual image is already stored in the employee table, right?

tblEmp
UserID
UserName
UserDigiSign (attachment field which has scanned signature)

So, instead of copying it, you could simply use a foreign key field to store the UserID of the person who "signed" it.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 11:16 PM