UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Causes A Form With Multiple Tables To Not Be Updateable, Access 2016    

Everettc4
post Dec 1 2017, 04:10 PM
Post#1

What causes a form with multiple tables to not be editable "this recordset is not updateable". I think I can manage and find a way to trim back the number of tables and field or make a simple subform the is direct and editable. I was just trying to understand the mechanics of why?

A couple screenshots for reference are attached. All I want to do is check one box and add a date.

Thanks
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Form1.JPG ( 50.97K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  Qdesign1.JPG ( 150.41K )Number of downloads: 14

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 1 2017, 04:13 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

In your specific case, it's probably due to the use of an OUTER JOIN.

Check out Allen Browne's website for more possible reasons.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

javert
post Dec 2 2017, 02:26 PM
Post#3

Assuming JobTickets is your "main" table, both TimeTracker and Inventory_Transactions_Active can have many records for each PurchaseOrderID, so every row in the query will have a combination of Different TimeTracker and Inventory_Transaction_Active entries, and no row is going to have a unique relationship with any record in any table.

Best you could do is to move the TimeTracker and Inventory_Transaction_Active tables to subforms so you can manage the many records of each on each subform and the data pertaining the rest of the tables into the main form.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 3 2017, 08:28 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Further to Javert's recommendation, let me add that Access works best when you implement solutions designed to take advantage of architecture that supports the relational approach to data. I.e. For data entry, one form is bound to a parent table and subforms used with that form are bound to child tables in that relationship. In this case, you probably need multiple subforms for the different tables involved. That's how Access is designed to work, and we can save ourselves much stress and bother by going along with it.

Multiple table queries, on the other hand, are GREAT for aggregating, summarizing and de-normalizing data for reporting purposes.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Dec 3 2017, 08:29 AM

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 08:37 PM