UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Security Blocks My Project For Macros That Don't Exist, Access 2010    

dwilson
post Dec 2 2017, 01:39 PM
Post#1

While trying to get my accde project loaded without warnings, I have finally narrowed things down to the "enable all macros" setting in the macro settings area of the trust center. If that box is checked, the project loads. If it's not, there is a warning popup every time. The thing is that my project doesn't have any macros. At least none that I can find (and I have the "show hidden objects" option checked in my navigation options).

I don't have permissions to change registry settings and my IT group will not make changes for me, so there's no remote mechanism for checking that box. That means my only options are to leave the file as an accdb (because each user only has to accept it once, to manually check the enable all macros box for every user, after which there are no more warnings), or to find out why the macros warning is being triggered without macros. Is ALL VBA viewed as a macro? Or is there a macro hiding somewhere? If there's a hidden macro, how can I find it?
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Dec 2 2017, 01:57 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

So you're saying you don't have any forms (or reports) that have actions in the database?

Just to be clear, "enable all macros" refers to VBA code, not Access macros.

--------------------

cheekybuddha
post Dec 2 2017, 01:59 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I think VBA equates to macro in this instance.

Microsoft got a bit muddled in their terminology way back when.

Note, in other Office products, e.g. Excel and Word, VBA code is referred to as 'macros'.

hth,

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

dwilson
post Dec 2 2017, 02:08 PM
Post#4

So all VBA is viewed as macros. That's what I was afraid of.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 2 2017, 03:31 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Doug is right, as is Dave. As far as this security setting is concerned, code is code, whether it be Access Macros, or Access VBA.

But the larger question is why would you NOT want to enable macros in your accdb/accde?

--------------------

dwilson
post Dec 2 2017, 04:03 PM
Post#6

I do want the code enabled. I just want it to be enabled automatically, rather than forcing the users to do it manually by responding to this message:

Attached File  Untitled_1.jpg ( 129.28K )Number of downloads: 1

As I said, my permissions will not allow me to access the registry settings with VBA or VBS to either mark the source folder as safe or to set every user's Access instance to accept "macros" (that is, VBA code), and the IR group refuses to do so for me. Nor does there seem to be a way to do either of these things with VBA code when the db is launched. I was therefore hoping that this warning message was in fact referring to something OTHER than VBA code that I could track down and get rid of.

So my options seem to be
1) convert to accde and let the users see this warning every time
2) stick with accdb, in which case they only have to accept a (much gentler) warning once
3) personally go to each of 15 computers, have each of 20 users log in one after the other, and set each user's options on each computer to accept code/macros.

Doug Steele
post Dec 2 2017, 04:27 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

While I realize you said you don't have permissions to change registry settings, the required setting is in the HKCU hub, which seldom (if ever) is blocked.

For Access 2010, the necessary .reg file would be something like:

CODE
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location0]
"Path"="D:\\Users\\Doug\\Documents\\Database\\"
"AllowSubfolders"=dword:00000001
"Description"=""
"Date"="2016-04-13 13:53"

--------------------

theDBguy
post Dec 2 2017, 04:30 PM
Post#8

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

This is just one person's humble opinion...

For a company who seems to have a very strict IT policy, I am very surprised to hear users are allowed to modify settings in the Trust Center. I work for the government, and this option is disabled for us. So, all my users have no choice but to see the warning and click "Open" every time they use the ACCDR file I give them. We all have the full version of Access on our machines, but we can't go to the Trust Center Settings. And like you, we are not allowed to make changes in the Registry.

Besides, if you were able to change the settings to "Enable all macros" for all users, you are basically exposing your company's infrastructure to malicious macro vulnerabilities, which if anything bad were to happen because of it, they probably wouldn't be happy with you.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

dwilson
post Dec 2 2017, 04:32 PM
Post#9

I'll try the reg file approach. Won't get a chance for a few days, though.
This post has been edited by dwilson: Dec 2 2017, 04:47 PM

dwilson
post Dec 3 2017, 12:56 PM
Post#10

If the reg file idea is going to work each user would need to do it locally, which means I would need a generic field in the following line:

"Path"="D:\\Users\\%username%\\Documents\\Database\\"

Would that work? If so, I'm not sure which of several formats I've seen would be the right one: %username%, %userprofile%, [UserName], [%USERNAME], [UserLogin], etc...

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 04:59 AM