UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Automatic Generation Of Records, Access 2010    

RomiT088
post Dec 4 2017, 07:12 AM
Post#1

Hello, my name is Roman Bikar. I'm a student at college. I'm creating a huge project. Project is based on a competition. Competition is using "The Pyramid Effect"

Competition rules:
For registration to competition you(Mark) will receive - 5 points and 5 credits - Registration will generate another personal registration link, which will be used to lure another competitors.
For recruit(Anna) of first tier you(Mark) will receive additional 3 points and 5 credits - Registered recruit(Anna) will receive 5 points and 5 credits for registration, she will have personal registration link generated as well.
For recruit(Martin) of second tier you(Mark) will receive additional 2 points and 2 credits - Recruit(Anna) will receive additional 3 points and 5 credits - Recruit(Martin) will receive 5 points and 5 credits as a new competitor.
For recruit(Sam) of third tier you(Mark) will receive 1 point and 1 credit - Recruit(Anna) will receive additional 2 points and 2 credits - recruit(Martin) will receive additional 3 points and 5 credits - Recruit(Sam) will receive 5 points and 5 credits as a new competitor.

This is a little diagram of the flow.
I am including picture of a pyramid diagram.

I am using 2010 version.
I am struggling with a solution for this problem for a month now.
I am not asking you guys to solve this problem for me.
I am asking you to show me a way of solving it.

I am aware that Access can auto generate record through VBA or macros, but I can only generate " new competitor" I can't find a way of generating record for recruits and their recruits as well.
Every new competitor will get his ID and his ID will be used as his website. example: competition web - www.projectlife.com/ competitor web - www.projectlife.com/(hisID)
every transaction(points and credits) should have an ID as well.
I am not sure if two tables are enough for this.

Please help me. I am a very thankful man.
Romankobikar@gmail.com
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Pyramid_effect.png ( 15.34K )Number of downloads: 3

Go to the top of the page

Jeff B.
post Dec 4 2017, 08:08 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Are you saying that, for a competitor, it is enough to know his/her "recruiter"?

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2017, 08:19 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Welcome to UtterAccess.

This is an interesting challenge, but it seems that an important element is not clear.

WHEN and HOW OFTEN do you need to generate a new "personal registration link"? What triggers that to happen?

You should be aware that "Pyramid Schemes" have a bit of a shady reputation because of the way later "competitors" are usually exploited to make money for the earlier recruits. I hope this is really just a class project. wink.gif

--------------------

RomiT088
post Dec 4 2017, 02:20 PM
Post#4

Jeff B. and GroverParkGeorge, thank you for your interests.

Jeff, I will answer Georges questions first as the answer should make better sense after.

So George, Personal registration link is generated by hitting a submit button on a form with some not important personal data. Link should be generated after every new registration.

And yes, this is only for an IT Project Unit + Databases Unit.

Jeff, yes and no. No, because competitor doesn't need to be invited to the competition. He or she can simply register on main web page. And yes, because all they need to help their family or friend is their personal registration link.

So George, are you saying that generating tier I, II and II points and credits can be done easily, but generating a personal link will be a little bit of struggle?

Jeff B.
post Dec 5 2017, 08:28 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

If a competitor can register on a web page, does that make them the "top" of any subsequent chain?

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 5 2017, 09:44 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

I'm not suggesting one way or the other because we're still trying to understand the rules. See Jeff's question.

--------------------

mike60smart
post Dec 5 2017, 02:40 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Hi

Would help a lot if you just upload a copy of the actual Assignment for the IT Project Unit + Databases Unit.

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

Jeff B.
post Dec 5 2017, 02:42 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Your question about "... two tables..." suggests that you may want to look into relational database design principles and normalization. The number of tables depends on what you're trying to model, and how "normalized" you're making your database.

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce

RomiT088
post Dec 6 2017, 05:18 AM
Post#9

Morning gentlemen,
My tutor is a little bit "special", so since September nobody saw a Assignments Brief, he only gave out couple of research tasks. After that we went through a designing phase and now we are at a stage of developing our own projects. The database Unit is fairly simple, all we need to do is populate, normalise, create queries and reports, and implement an automatic entry point like macro or VBA code. The trick is in the scenario of the database unit. We are able to create our own scenario, as long as it will include 5 tables and the criteria I just mentioned. Database unit is not important as I can develop simple database with a simple macro function in 2 or 3 hours, the point in using same database in both units is that the deadlines for developing database and project are matching the same month. Project unit is confusing and hard to implement into our weekly schedules as we have been told we will work in groups of 3 or 4 people. Everybody had to design one project and then group would pick which one they will be developing. As I said my tutor is a little bit "special", so after we finished designing, he told us there will be no groups and we will have to develop what we designed. Now I am stuck at this main problem of my project, which is a database.

Jeff,
yes, if he register at the main page, he will be at the top of the chain. But, if his recruit will register under his registration link, he will be under the main page chain and he will receive his Registration link, which will make another chain where recruit is considered as the "top" of the chain. I am able to use Visual Basics, so if you think that little processing information system is needed to work with the database I can probably manage to implement it.
I have 6 tables of information designed, which are not directly linked with the competition system, so my criteria for Database Unit would be sorted without this system.

mike60smart
post Dec 6 2017, 07:47 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Hi

He must indeed be a very very special Tutor who does not provide written guidelines for any Project which will ultimately need to be marked against specific criteria.

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

RomiT088
post Dec 6 2017, 03:46 PM
Post#11

Mike, I don't even know how many assignments there will be, yet. He will tell us, but I don't know when.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 05:05 PM