UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unbound Search Combobox Won't Move To Record (short Text Field), Access 2016    

KristaC
post Dec 4 2017, 12:14 PM
Post#1

All the tutorials show to use the wizard, but when I try to use the wizard, it doesn't give me the "third" option to find a record on my form. So, I'm trying to manually code a combobox that will search for a record on a continuous form, and jump down to that record.

It's pretty much doing nothing right now. If I type in it, it doesn't autoexpand. If I click the drop arrow, I do see the entity name and the abbrev. But, if I select an item, it does nothing. It highlights it but it won't even let me click -- the dropdown just hangs.

Here's what I have so far:

-- Unbound combobox in header cboFindAnEntity
-- cbo is based on a rowsource query. Has 3 columns (entmergeID, entityname, and an abbreviated field for the entity name).
-- I set the columns to 3 and made the first column have "0" to hide the ID
-- I tried to build an AfterUpdate event and keep in mind that I'm searching for a text value, not the ID

Pictures attached for the rest. If I'm leaving out any info, let me know! My code for the AfterUpdate event is in the picture.

Thanks so much!!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2017_12_04_at_11.26.50_AM.png ( 129.66K )Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2017_12_04_at_12.01.20_PM.png ( 38.6K )Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2017_12_04_at_12.01.41_PM.png ( 53.45K )Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 4 2017, 12:23 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Krista,

The Wizard is the simplest way to "find a record" on your form. If you're not getting the "third" option, then your form is not bound to a table of records, which means there's nothing to find.

Are you using a bound form with records you can navigate?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

KristaC
post Dec 4 2017, 02:19 PM
Post#3

Hiiiiiii. The form is based on a recordsource query / continuous form...

I'm thinking that because the first field of the cbo is the entity id (even though it's not visible), what if I move the entityname field to the first column in the query for the combobox. Will that fix it?

Thanks!!

theDBguy
post Dec 4 2017, 03:17 PM
Post#4

Hi Krista,

If your form is bound to a query, then you should get the third option when you use the Wizard. Can you try again and confirm it's not available as an option?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

missinglinq
post Dec 4 2017, 10:12 PM
Post#5

There's a wise old man who has an article on his blog about this very problem...where the Form can, in fact, be Bound, and the 'third option' still doesn't appear:

http://thedbguy.blogspot.com/2016/02/combobox-wizard.html

Linq ;0)>

--------------------
Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

theDBguy
post Dec 4 2017, 10:41 PM
Post#6

Hi Linq,

Surely, you can't expect me to remember an article that old.

Just kidding... thanks for the reminder.

Cheers! thumbup.gif

--------------------

KristaC
post Dec 5 2017, 01:14 PM
Post#7

Bless your memory!!!!

KristaC
post Dec 5 2017, 01:14 PM
Post#8

....and thanks for your old posts!!!!!!!!!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 10:00 AM