UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subform Record Selectors, Access 2010    

BobDarlington
post Dec 7 2017, 01:34 AM
Post#1

I have a continuous subform with record selectors to the left of each record.
When a user clicks on the grey selector button and presses arrow down, the selector moves down but skips one record each time.
If they click into a field in the record, then the down arrow works as expected.
Similarly, if the vertical scroll bar is slid to the bottom of the list, it won't display the final record in that list. You need to select the down arrow at the bottom of the scroll bar to display that record.
Any help appreciated as always.
Bob D
Go to the top of the page

Art_Of_War
post Dec 7 2017, 04:00 AM
Post#2

During my last semester of database design studies in my IT course, we were advised NOT to use record selectors or the navigation bar on forms, or for that matter, subforms.

Instead, we added buttons, i.e. "Add Record," "Open Form," "Save and Close," etc. etc. I can show you an example if you like:

Attached File  frmOrder.JPG ( 60.96K )Number of downloads: 4

It's a lot cleaner and more user-friendly if you get rid of the extra properties and customise the form. It just looks more professional.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 07:33 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

What you describe seems to be out of the ordinary for form behavior, but there's more going on than one can surmise from this description, unfortunately. In trouble-shooting, we might start with the most obvious things first, and then move on to the less obvious if needed.

What do you have set for the cycle property of this subform?
Attached File  cycleallrecords.png ( 10.1K )Number of downloads: 0

Are there any controls on this subform which have some sort of tabbing behavior set for them? How about the controls themselves? When you enter a new record, which control gets focus first? Which one gets focus last?

I am assuming that your subform is editable, but that's also something to account for.

--------------------

BruceM
post Dec 7 2017, 08:16 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

During my last semester of database design studies in my IT course, we were advised NOT to use record selectors or the navigation bar on forms, or for that matter, subforms.

Out of curiosity, how did they suggest you navigate the records?

River59
post Dec 7 2017, 08:39 AM
Post#5

You can add buttons for first, next, previous and last, Bruce.

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 08:46 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

I have, from time to time, replaced the built-in navigation buttons with custom buttons. Sometimes a busy form with multiple subforms can be a bit confusing when it's not clear which set of navigation buttons control what.

That said, the question here is not about navigation buttons, but about record selectors, if I'm reading the OP correctly.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 08:47 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

hm. I note that you have a subform in this screenshot, and that the subform would appear to have a record selector. Isn't that going to be the case for forms in datasheet view?

--------------------

BruceM
post Dec 7 2017, 09:36 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

I note that you have a subform in this screenshot

George, I think that was posted in a response. I don't see that Bob D (the OP) posted a screen shot.

You can add buttons for first, next, previous and last

Yes, I know that. I do it often. I was just curious as to what they suggested in the class.

But I agree with George, the question was about record selectors. I should not have taken the detour.

I have experimented with various settings on the Property Sheet, but cannot replicate the problem. To Bob D, you could try creating a new form, and copying the controls from the old form to the new one. Other than that all I can suggest is to post a stripped down copy of the database, with any personal or sensitive information removed. Maybe somebody here can spot something.

missinglinq
post Dec 7 2017, 09:39 AM
Post#9

QUOTE (GroverParkGeorge)
...What you describe seems to be out of the ordinary for form behavior...

I think that this really pins down the issue, here! The behavior described isn't normal, whether you're talking about a Continuous View or Datasheet View Form, with the Cycle Property set to All Records or Current Record.

What this describes, in essence, is what I call Strange, Odd and Curious Behavior, which usually translates into corruption of the Database, in one form or another. Barring some custom modification of navigation behavior, by the developer (and I would assume that the developer would know if such modification was in place) I think you pretty much have to go with this assumption.

The standard approach, for this type of thing, is to create a new, blank file and import everything into it. Only takes a minute or two to create and check out, and if it doesn't work you haven't really lost anything! And, amazingly, it does frequently work!

Linq ;0)>

Sorry...got distracted by dog needing to go out and missed Bruce's last post, which is pretty much duplicated by mine! ohyeah.gif
This post has been edited by missinglinq: Dec 7 2017, 09:42 AM

--------------------
Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 09:51 AM
Post#10

UA Admin

Correct it was in a response, not the OP's post and it was intended to point out that even when one DOES eliminate navigation from some displays, it's not possible to do it everywhere.

--------------------

BruceM
post Dec 7 2017, 10:14 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Bruce's last post, which is pretty much duplicated by mine!

Not really. I only suggested remaking the form. Importing everything into a new, blank database may be a better place to start, and is actually simpler in most cases than re-creating a form. If the problem still persists after that, re-creating the form could be the next choice.

BobDarlington
post Dec 7 2017, 05:48 PM
Post#12

Thanks to all for your responses.
It turns out that I had a KeyDown routine which caused the problem to occur.
Now all I have to do is work out why I added that routine in the first place :-)
My own documentation leaves something to be desired.
Thanks again
Bob D
This post has been edited by BobDarlington: Dec 7 2017, 05:49 PM

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 06:23 PM
Post#13

UA Admin

Congratulations on solving the mystery.

Continued success with the project.

--------------------

BobDarlington
post Dec 7 2017, 08:59 PM
Post#14

Thanks George.
The KeyDown event caused the Record Selector problem, but the vertical scroll bar issue was resolved by resizing the height of controls in the continuous subform.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 11:27 PM