UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2003 Db To Office 365, Access 2003    

foxtrojan
post Dec 7 2017, 11:42 AM
Post#1

I am thinking of migrating my Access 2003 DB to Office 365. Appreciate any advice, pro and cons?
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 12:42 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Office 365 is, in fact, Office 2016.

All of the usual caveats about upgrading Office apply.

For example, if you've used activeX controls, they may not function.

Newer versions of Office tend to be less tolerant of minor syntax ambiguities, so making sure all references in SQL and VBA are fully qualified is important.

The ribbon is going to require a learning curve that many find a bit onerous.

--------------------

doctor9
post Dec 7 2017, 02:05 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

foxtrojan,

Basically, what George said. smile.gif

The Ribbon is a fact of life now, and the sooner you start learning how to use it (and possibly customize it), the sooner you can get past the complaining about how it's so different from Toolbars. smile.gif Took me a good few months. Any DAO stuff where you didn't explicitly use the "DAO." prefix in your code will now require it. But this sort of syntax fixing isn't too bad. the Database Window is now a Navigation Pane.

Oh, and if your It department is going to slowly roll out Office, my advice is for the users to be first, and for you to be last. That way backwards compatibility should fix a lot of little things. But if you get Office 2016 and you have a user with Office 2003, there's no "forward compatibility" to help you.

I'd recommend taking the leap. Office 2003 is 15 years old, and a lot of new features are available now.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

foxtrojan
post Dec 8 2017, 01:04 AM
Post#4

Thank you so much George, Dennis. It is really nice to hear from the best in the "Access" business. Yes, I love Access 2003. It has been good to me all these years, make some money for me as a IT System Engineer. Yes, we have to move on, she is getting old running on 34bit and my Clients are all migrating to 64bit Windows.
Sad to part from such a fantastic tool, but have to move on. Appreciate if you could just run thru my check list and advise me if I am on the right track:
[a] Migrate straight to Access 2016, do not touch Office 365 first, until all goes well running the 2016 Pro.
[b] Hide all the Ribbons, like what I did with 2003, where the Tool Bars can "Hide and Un-Hide" with simple codes [Can this be done with 2016?]
After all the Users need not use the Ribbons to navigate.
[c] Do not convert the Tables from 2003 directly to 2016. Create similar Tables in 2016 and import the data from 2003
to avoid Table Structures and compatibilities problems
[d] Then, import all the queries, forms and Reports over to 2016.
[e] Edit all errors that will occur.
[f] OR, simply just follow the advice taken from a UA Post

How to Convert a Database to Access 2010 Format
The steps to converting an MDB file format to ACCDB Database file format are:

1. Open Microsoft Access 2010
  2. On the File menu, click Open.
  3. Select the database you want to convert and open it.
  4. On the File menu, click Save & Publish.
  5. Select Access Database from the section entitled "Database File Types."
  6. Click the Save As button.
  7. Provide a file name when prompted and click Save.
Appreciate very much if you could just spare some of your valuable time to advise me, on the above. so I can have a Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year guys.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 8 2017, 09:22 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

Good morning.

First, there is NO reason to convert to Office 64 bit. Note that 64 bit WINDOWS does not require 64 bit applications. On the other hand, 64 bit applications would need to be installed on 64 bit Windows. But the most prevalent configuration is still 32 bit Office on 64 bit Windows. Those who have migrated to 64 bit Office may have a number of different reasons for that, but each case needs to be judged on its own merits.

In other words, you should not install the 64 bit version of Office unless you have other compelling reasons to do so.

Second, "Office 365" refers to the deployment method, not the version. The current version of Office in the Office 365 offering IS Office 2016. That means there is no "skipping" O2016 in favor of O365, or anything like that.

Third, ribbons are essential, unless you provide your own menuing system to replace them. I can't imagine doing that. Users most definitely need the ribbons to do everything for which you don't create an alternative tool.

Fourth, converting an mdb to an accdb is really not that convoluted. No need to create new tables and import data--unless you want to change the table designs as well. Simply converting the mdb to an accdb is really as simple as simple as the last description in your post. Do a Save and Publish on any existing mdb and it's essentially done. There may be some cleanup, but importing queries and other objects is not required, unless you really want to do that.

Now, it's possible that there will be problems, but I suspect it's going to go much more smoothly than you might imagine.

--------------------

foxtrojan
post Dec 9 2017, 11:42 AM
Post#6

Thank you so much for your feed back.
[1] My Application has frequent "insufficient memory" error that frustrates the Users.
I was advised to use Office 64bit to resolve this error, because 64bit has better memory management [up to 8GB] Is this a fact?
[2] Fully understood the Office 365. I will work on the Office 2016 as advised.
[3] I never allow my Users to use the Toolbars [2003]. I "hide" all the Toolbars, Had very bad experience when they messed up the Application.
All functions use Touch-Screen, Menus, Icons and Navigation Labels, making it very User-friendly. If you know how to use your Mobile Phone
you can use my Application. Why force a User to learn "Ribbons" like a Programmer, why not let User focus on the Application and give him/her
simple navigation/function tools to perform their jobs?
Teaching the Users how to use the Toolbars is a very tedious process , when Users do not have a good commend of English, and never use
Database before. If I use the "Ribbons" it can be worst,[as Dennis mentioned it took months].
[This is the reason why I did not migrate to the Accdb version because I cannot "hide" the Ribbons. Now I have no choice but cross my fingers and hope
that someone out there has the codes to "hide" the "Ribbons"
[4] This is the best part, quote "converting an mdb to an accdb is really not that convoluted" and "it's going to go much more smoothly than you might imagine"
I like that, this is the kind of advice I really need. So..lets rock and roll.

Really appreciate your advice. Thanks again.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 9 2017, 12:34 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

That argument in favor of Office 64 bit is marginally relevant, if at all.

It has to do with memory on the computer--RAM.

--------------------

foxtrojan
post Dec 11 2017, 09:01 PM
Post#8

Thank you so much for your feed back. Your advice are greatly appreciated. As for the RAMs, our Terminal running 32bit Office can only utilizes 4GB. I need to run 64bit.
Thanks again and a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and all at home.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 08:01 AM