UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Split Database - Subform Not Populating New Records Entered From Another Pc (fe), Access 2010    

dzoker
post Dec 7 2017, 12:07 PM
Post#1

Hi all,

I'm sure there will be questions for clarification but here is my problem. I have a split database. On my main form I have combobox that serves as a Link master field for my subform that is linkChild field. The subform record source is a simple query. The problem arises when the database FE is open on two places and the 2nd user (or vice versa) enters new record in the subform and the 1st user have the form/subform already opened on the same record (combobox) the 1st user do not see the record that was entered by the 2nd user (I have simple previous and next button on the subform). If I deselect the same record in the combobox, of course the subform refreshes and is there. What am I doing wrong. Please ask questions if needed.
Just for the record I'm fairly new in Access!

Thank you for your help!
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 7 2017, 12:12 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

There is a default refresh rate in Access. I wonder if yours is set differently. If you wait "long" enough, do you still not see the new data? If so, I also wonder if "new" records are not "refreshed" automatically.

Hmm...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

dzoker
post Dec 7 2017, 12:22 PM
Post#3

TheDBguy

There is a default refresh rate in Access. I wonder if yours is set differently. If you wait "long" enough, do you still not see the new data? If so, I also wonder if "new" records are not "refreshed" automatically.

I waited for 5+min and nothing. The refresh rate in the /Options Client Settings is set to 60sec. (if that is the refresh rate. also ODBC refresh rate is 1500sec)

theDBguy
post Dec 7 2017, 12:26 PM
Post#4

Hi,

Thanks. Just as a quick test, try editing or changing an existing record and see if the change shows up. Also, try deleting a record just to see if the record goes away. If so, then it tells me Access only does a "Refresh" and not a "Requery."

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

dzoker
post Dec 7 2017, 12:29 PM
Post#5

theDBguy
Just as a quick test, try editing or changing an existing record and see if the change shows up. Also, try deleting a record just to see if the record goes away. If so, then it tells me Access only does a "Refresh" and not a "Requery."

It does changes the existing record!?!
This post has been edited by dzoker: Dec 7 2017, 12:29 PM

theDBguy
post Dec 7 2017, 12:33 PM
Post#6

Okay, this might mean new records are not part of the refresh. I'm not sure if it's a bug or a design feature. You might go over to the UserVoice website and see if you could request for this to be added.

--------------------

dzoker
post Dec 7 2017, 12:34 PM
Post#7

I was thinking of putting Forms!mainform!subform.Form.Refresh in my previous and next button. MAYBE THAT WOULD HELP?

theDBguy
post Dec 7 2017, 12:35 PM
Post#8

Unfortunately, "Refresh" does not include new records. You probably want "Requery."

--------------------

dzoker
post Dec 7 2017, 12:38 PM
Post#9

theDBguy,

Unfortunately, "Refresh" does not include new records. You probably want "Requery."

Well something is not right here, I just added refresh on my next/previous buttons and I can see the new record after clicking on one of them?

theDBguy
post Dec 7 2017, 12:51 PM
Post#10

Hi,

If it works for you, I wouldn't complain. Cheers!

--------------------

dzoker
post Dec 7 2017, 12:54 PM
Post#11

theDBguy,
If it works for you, I wouldn't complain. Cheers!

Thank you, I just want to say BIG thank you again, I've learned so much from you on this forum as well as everyone else.. cheers.gif uarulez2.gif

theDBguy
post Dec 7 2017, 01:04 PM
Post#12

Hi,

You're welcome. It's our pleasure. Good luck with your project.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 01:35 PM
Post#13

UA Admin

FYI:

"Refresh or requery data

Applies To: Access 2007

If you are sharing a database over a network, other users could be changing data while you are viewing the same data in a datasheet or form. Microsoft Office Access updates the data that you see at set intervals. However, you can immediately display the most current data by refreshing the records. You can also perform a more thorough update by requerying the data.

Refreshing records only updates the data that already exists in your datasheet or form. It does not reorder records, display new records, or remove deleted records and records that no longer meet specified criteria. To perform those tasks, you can requery the records. You can requery data manually, by using a macro, or by using code."

--------------------

dzoker
post Dec 7 2017, 01:51 PM
Post#14

GroverParkGeorge,

Thank you for the in depth explanation, that is why I said that something is not right there in my previous post. According to what you wrote, the Requery "pulls" any new records where refresh updates what is already in the form. But why is it then when I do Refresh (talking about my issue here) the new record shows?

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 7 2017, 01:58 PM
Post#15

UA Admin

That's a good question. According to the documentation--which is where I pulled that from--a manual refresh would not drop deleted records nor show newly added records. It calls for further research.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 05:35 AM