UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Various Users Unable To Open Forms Via Button, Access 2016    

Sean-AUS-WA
post Dec 20 2017, 03:41 AM
Post#1

Good Morning everyone,

I haven't had a chance to post here for quite awhile and for this particular issue, I am not even sure if it is Access base or Win10 in general.

A colleague of mine have created a split database that users can interact with through a front end module. She recently emailed the same copy of the front end module to 2 other colleagues (A & B)

While A is able to fully interact with the database, B is only able to open the Access file and see the initial form, after which B can not interact with anything on THAT particular form.

Apparently both party have the same windows settings, with A having full control and B with possible read only access USING the same File.

This has me stumped pullhair.gif and I have tried looking for answers online without much luck. (possibly because I don't know the correct terminology/syntax to use)

If anyone else have encountered something similar and can offer any suggestions at all, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

Sean

Go to the top of the page

BuzyG
post Dec 20 2017, 04:17 AM
Post#2

I will have to make assumptions here that may be incorrect. However, if user B only has read access, to the folder where the backend data sits and if the button being pressed generates a data transfer that requires data to be written, such as a search, then it won't work. We had a similar problem to that here when IS reset all our permissions to read only on one of the servers.

Set user B's permissions set to read write and see if it clears the problem.

Hope that helps.

BruceM
post Dec 20 2017, 08:26 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Are A and B both working on the same LAN, or is one or the other (or both) a remote user?

Assuming an Access back end (as opposed to SQL Server, etc.), all users need read/write permissions to the folders where the front end and back end files reside. Access has to create a lock file when starting a database, in the same folder as the database file. If a user does not have write access to both locations there will likely be problems. It may not be a problem, or at least it may be a different problem, if another user has already opened the database, in which case there is already a lock file for the back end.

Another issue is trusted locations and macro security. It could be that B has macro security that is too restrictive to run code, so the buttons don't work. I rarely use macros, so I'm not sure if this is the same problem with VBA procedures, but I do know that trusted locations and macro security need to be considered.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 20 2017, 08:34 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Yup, Trusted Locations and enabling macros affect both VBA and macros.

Attached File  TrustedLocations.png ( 59.27K )Number of downloads: 4

Attached File  EnableMacros.jpg ( 68.62K )Number of downloads: 4

Sean-AUS-WA
post Dec 20 2017, 11:42 PM
Post#5

Good afternoon All,

Firstly thank you very much for all your advice so far, I have checked the system settings etc and this is my finding:

BuzyG:
Thanks for the post, but both User A and B have read/write access to the network folder. I was not very clear in my description. Apologies

BruceM:
With the lock file issue, each users are using a compiled Access Accde file on their individual network desktop therefore this being the cause is slim.

With Trusted Locations and macro security: This is set by our network operations team and all of the options are locked and greyed out. I am unable to change anything. However with both users having the same read/write access, windows settings (as far as I know) and the exact same file from the same email that I dispatched. User A is able to fully utilised the form and all its buttons/automations/macros, where as user B is unable to open forms via button using VBA/macro.

And again this might be something that is totally outside the scope of access functions but I really appreciate everyone's input in helping me solve this. My colleague is also very grateful.

We are continuing our investigation pullhair.gif !! however if you are able to think of any other causes, please feel free to share!! thanks much!

Sean

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2018 - 06:35 AM