UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Table Using Wildcards, Access 2016    

arpirnat
post Dec 20 2017, 08:56 AM
Post#1

I have a table that simply translates very specific titles to broad titles for categorizing purposes. For example one field might be 'IC/IFC Referral Care Manage IFC to Pain' and the next field will simply be 'IFC' so all of the different titles with IFC get lumped together. Rather than having a separate record for every IFC title can I set up it to be more broad like 'IC/IFC*'?
Go to the top of the page

Jeff B.
post Dec 20 2017, 09:06 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

That sounds more like a spreadsheet than a relational database (Access). Please look into relational database design and normalization.

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

arpirnat
post Dec 20 2017, 09:10 AM
Post#3

It is a join table that links data pulled in from a data warehouse that we can't control to the data we have manually entered (we don't use the more complex naming that they use)

Jeff B.
post Dec 20 2017, 09:13 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Again, Access gives you great tools, and does NOT limit you to input data. You can create a well-normalized table structure for Access, then 'load' it using queries against your input source. This way, the features and functions in Access that expect well-normalized data can work at their best.

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 20 2017, 09:54 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

I'm not sure I understand the problem, but let me guess.

You're importing data from another source, right? And that source has only the expanded naming?

Or am I missing the point?

You can avoid the grouping problem by applying your wild card in the import process.

But what we'd really like to know, I guess, is when, where and how you'll use this.

--------------------

arpirnat
post Dec 20 2017, 10:32 AM
Post#6

You are correct.
I have not applied this type on import before but we want to keep the unique name as well as reference the 'nickname' we use.
For all intents and purposes the folks using the DB only see and use the nicknames but data is transferred back and forth between the DB and the data warehouse. The original name is needed to link properly to the warehouse which is why we need to keep this.
When manually entering information we simply wanted to keep the drop down selection limited to about 50 options instead of the 400 original names and also this was built before we had the ability to link with the warehouse so initially the names were not even a consideration. Obviously rebuilding to incorporate is best but for a quicker solution we were trying this.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 20 2017, 11:21 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

I'm still not 100% clear on the requirement. If you have 400 full descriptions, but grouped by 50 short names, that means a drop down would have to select either each individual full description, or a category based on the short names. It can't be both.

Therefore, I'd look at what is commonly called Cascading Combo boxes. They work this way. Combo Box A is based on the 50 short names. Selecting any one of them filters the rows in a second combo box so only the full descriptions for that short name are displayed. Then your user can select from that much shorter list of full descriptions.

Would that approach be useful here?

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th April 2018 - 12:35 PM