UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Append Form, Access 2016    

tonywalker
post Dec 24 2017, 09:20 AM
Post#1

Greetings to all the members and thank you for accepting me.

I m trying to create a db to store medical laboratory results. The problem i have faced (and find a solution to your posts) was to make a friendly user interface to input the medical tests. (frmPeopleUsingUnboundCheckboxes-attachment)
-This is the most suitable form for my needs . Inside the VBA code it says that check boxes are limmited to 60, is it a generaral liimmitation or it is just for this example? The number of the tests is larger than 60 (about 80 -90)

LABDB
-The other problem that i must solve is that some tests, even though the are ordered as one include more tests with results. For ex. : If a doctor asks for a bloodcount test, this refers to 20 tests performed by the laboratory. So what i need is to input tests from tbl edapy_group, but the performed tests to be the related ones to tbl LAB_TESTS>The reference for adding(asking) for laboarotory tests is tbl edapy_group, and the performed test are the ones at tbl LAB_TESTS . I ve also made some other groups to add tests by group (for example the most common).

- Finaly tests must have results, so normaly at tbl ordered tests must have the results. But some tests have as result number, some text and some lookup fields. I ve thought the solution to add multiple results fields depending the kind of result. Do you have anything better to propose?
I think it is normalised, but i think your expert eyes could see some mistakes, so please if you have any suggestions.
Thank you for your time... and happy hollidays!!!!

ps: my VBA ... are almost zero but im trying....
This post has been edited by tonywalker: Dec 24 2017, 09:24 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  medlab.zip ( 213.36K )Number of downloads: 66

Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Jan 2 2018, 07:36 AM
Post#2

you would not create a record with 60 or more checkboxes.
instead you would create 60 sub records all belonging to the 1 test.
Then the # of sub tests(results) is now infinite.
This post has been edited by ranman256: Jan 2 2018, 07:37 AM

Jeff B.
post Jan 2 2018, 07:57 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

A potential problem with trying to use one checkbox per item on a form is ... what happens when the number of items changes? ?!You change the form, and any queries, macros, code, reports, ... that are related to it.

As has been pointed out, a design that adds a record to a 'tall, skinny' table rather than adding a column/field to a table that grows wider over time is better in keeping with the features/function of MS Access. The 'short/wide' design is more reminiscent of a spreadsheet.

In terms of form design, one option is using a subform that displays the added/appended items. Again, as pointed out, you could have a person (person info on the main form) with a theoretically infinite number of subform records (OK, OK, a really really big number, not really "infinite").

Jeff B.
post Jan 2 2018, 08:06 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

welcome2UA.gif

I just re-read/re-interpreted your description. Do you mean "modify" as in modifying records, or "modify" as in "changing the table design"?

tonywalker
post Jan 3 2018, 01:59 AM
Post#5

Dear Ramman256 thank you for the reply,
As you can see at the relations table, tbl labtests contains the tests wich are performed by the laboratory, the user when adds the tests for a person (doctor order for tests) sees the records from tbl eDapy_group. Should i change the relations?
How can i manage, when a user selects for ex bloodcount,(see tbl labtests and edapy_group) the program will add all the records related to this group.
Whatever the design, column chechboxes or checkbox form, the user to see tests as described to edapy_group, but when they are selected to add all the related records. The releted records will be the ones which the result of the test will be added.
The other thing i m trying to achieve, based on the above, is to create groups of tests (ex the most common ones) added with a click, so i can save time.
The logical path is:
- one patient has one sample number (id - think of it as a barcode numb for the patient samples), >which can have many orders with tests,> which finaly have results.

tonywalker
post Jan 3 2018, 02:06 AM
Post#6

Jeff thank you for the reply, thats why i ve searched the forum and add the example i have found. According to these examples i dont have to change forms subform etc. When a test will be added all forms are populated with the new test. The most user friendly is the one with the check boxes form which has all the tests (cities), but it says the from can have only 60 records to append. i dont know if i can change it to have for ex 100 records.

BuzyG
post Jan 3 2018, 03:34 AM
Post#7

Tony, on your limits question. A colleague once tried to place all our modifications, as tick boxes, on a single form, access would not let them. I have just checked the forms they ended up creating and each has precisely 60 tick boxes on it. They ended up using several forms. Fiddly but they made it work.

I have recently replaced their old data base and have, as recommended above, created a separate table to store link between our modifications and systems. So we now have modifications in one table. Systems in a separate table and a connecting table that links them. This has a separate record for each modification within in each system and can therefore store as many as we are ever likely to need. As it appears likely, that both your type of results and type of tests, will increase in the future, then you should consider this approach as it is far easier to expand upon.

tonywalker
post Jan 3 2018, 06:05 AM
Post#8

Thank you buzyG, i must think another way to make it user friendly... and i have to face and so many other issues... like several types of results9text lookup number), linked tests, billing groups (edapy). Anyway i wont give it up without a fight

BuzyG
post Jan 3 2018, 08:14 AM
Post#9

Tony

If it helps with your thought process. Here's the original form that used 60 checkboxes per tab to show the status of our modifications to a particular equipment system/mount number 52.

This has now been replaced with the second traffic light layout.

The way it works now the user can double click on the column, to drill down into system 52 for example. Then double click on the record line, to drill down into modification 5, for example. This way all the documentation and further links, can also be stored within the record sets and easily accessed by users. All from this one screen.

I hope that helps with your thoughts. Making it all work is another problem entirely. It's important to understand what you want, before you try and get there

This post has been edited by BuzyG: Jan 3 2018, 08:26 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Old_Mods_Form_sanitized.jpg ( 131.49K )Number of downloads: 35
Attached File  Modification_Report2.JPG ( 218.92K )Number of downloads: 42

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th October 2018 - 03:42 PM