UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Urgently Required, Access 2016    

DaveG1967
post Dec 24 2017, 05:38 PM
Post#1

Hi, I'm trying to come up with a way to recreate the Seek Categories ( if possible ) www.seek.com.au. When you visit the site you are able to choose a Category so for example Accountant and along side of that is a total number of accountants and a check box, when you check the box it then comes up with sub categories such accounts payable and then number of people under accounts payable.
I would then like to be able to have cells maybe 4 off where extra info could be entered, is this possible. Please be gentle on the level of difficulty I'm a very basic user with to big a ideas.
Any step by step help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks you
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 24 2017, 06:13 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Welcome to UtterAccess.

Assuming that you have already created your tables, the technique you are looking for is referred to as Cascading Combo Boxes. You can read about it here and here.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 24 2017, 06:14 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

If you are really just getting started with relational databases--which is what Access is--you'll probably want to start by investing some time into learning more about good table design.

--------------------

DaveG1967
post Dec 24 2017, 06:22 PM
Post#4

Hi and thank you, no I have not created the tables as yet, could you help me configure them properly please ?

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 24 2017, 06:52 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Unfortunately, I don't really know what you are tracking here. Your post mentions accountants and accounts payable. I assume that means you are trying to do something with an accounting process?

Start by studying the materials in the Newcomers Reading List to which I linked. Create one table for each entity you wish to track.

BTW. it's Christmas Eve and I'm not going to be on-line starting very soon. Hopefully someone will be dropping in who's not celebrating Christmas and who will, therefore, be willing and able to help you figure out what your tables need to look like.

--------------------

DaveG1967
post Dec 24 2017, 08:08 PM
Post#6

Hi, I'm trying to add skills under accounts / accounts payable so I can track who of my employees have what skills under each sub category. Can you assist with the correct building of the tables

projecttoday
post Dec 25 2017, 02:42 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Give some real examples of the data and how you want the program to use them/what you want the program to do.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

DaveG1967
post Dec 25 2017, 03:03 AM
Post#8

I would like to be able to select the category, for example accounting and then sub categories of accounting such as accounts payable then from there enter the Skills a person has in regards to accounts payable.
The categories I need to be able to add new categories and along with the new categories new sub categories to match.
If you go to https://www.seek.com.au and select categories then sub catering you will get a feel for what I’m after but I simply need to enter Skills for each sub category
I hope this is off some help and thank you so much

projecttoday
post Dec 25 2017, 03:37 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Yes, cascading combo boxes. You've been given a link for that.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

mike60smart
post Dec 25 2017, 12:03 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Hi

You have mention Accounting, AccountingSubCategories and SubCategorySkills

These would be the first 3 tables you would need to create in order to setup Cascading Combobox's

These 3 tables would be structured as follows:-

tblAccounting
-AccountingID - PK - Autonumber
-Accounting

tblAccountingSubCategories
-AccountingSubCategoryID - PK - Autonumber
-SubCategoryID - Long Integer - FK - (Linked to PK from tblAccounting)
-SubCategory

tblSubCategorySkill
-SubCategorySkillID - PK - Autonumber
-AccountingSubCategoryID - Long Integer - FK - (Linked to PK from tblAccountingSubCategories)
-CategorySkill

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

DaveG1967
post Dec 25 2017, 04:11 PM
Post#11

Hi Mike and thank you so much for that. Do you do work for people such as myself and if so how much is your hourly rate.

I have to go away and back on the 31st, hopefully we can talk again then. Did you have a look at the seek web site ?

Once again thank you.

John Vinson
post Dec 26 2017, 11:04 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

If you are looking to set up a website, be aware that Access is not the best choice. It does not work well except on a fast, stable LAN or as a front end to a SQL Server or other client server database.

--------------------
John W. Vinson
Wysard of Information

DaveG1967
post Dec 31 2017, 07:22 PM
Post#13

Thanks John,

yes a web application is the end result but I was hoping to do something in access to show developers what I'm trying to achieve which is replicating the way Seek allows people to search for the given profession or professions and then ad there related skills for that area.
Maybe a little out of my level in access so I was hoping to get as much help as in a step by step guide from someone in here.

Regards - Dave

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 1 2018, 12:36 AM
Post#14

UA Admin

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but those of us who do this kind of work for a living tend to think of it as a profession and do it in expectation of being compensated for the work.

When seen in that light, asking "to get as much help as in a step by step guide from someone" is, perhaps, a bit more than someone might be able to comfortably devote to the effort. Do you see what I mean?

Your first step would be to invest the time and effort into studying the basics of designing and creating a relational database. Then, try your hand at setting up those tables you need. When you get that done, you can solicit feedback, which many people will be happy to provide.

Best of luck in accomplishing that first task.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th April 2018 - 07:54 PM