UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keeping Application Current, Access 2010    

Alexander
post Dec 29 2017, 03:24 PM
Post#1

Seasons Greetings to all on UA and appreciate all the help so freely given over the year.

Not quite sure how to word this but I will try to make it simple.

All computers on the internet and running A2010 and W10.

One desktop computer in Town X running the main application which is not split.

One desktop computer in Town Y and one Laptop in Town Y need to view the data and print reports etc BUT do not add/delete any data...only view it.

Currently we are transferring these via a file transfer system at the end each day so the data is live and that is good enough for the next 24 hours.

Does anyone have a better idea and can anyone please suggest a simpler solution or even introduce a form of automation?

Thanks
This post has been edited by Alexander: Dec 29 2017, 03:28 PM

--------------------
Alexander
Keep using the sunscreen!
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 29 2017, 03:30 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Alexander,

If you need to share data across the Internet, then one approach is to host the data on a server accessible via the Internet. For example, you can use a hosted SQL Server instance and then link all the Access Front Ends to the data on the server. With SQL Server, you can control the users' permissions to identify which ones can make changes to the data and who can just look at them.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Alexander
post Dec 29 2017, 03:52 PM
Post#3

Nice picture DBguy

That set of words "SQL Server" makes me run away as I always feel it is beyond my understanding and also concerned on the speed of application if data is not local.

Thanks and time to read up on SQL Server to see if I can make sense of it.

--------------------
Alexander

theDBguy
post Dec 29 2017, 03:56 PM
Post#4

Hi,

It can definitely become a trade off between being able to share the data with multiple users across the Internet and having a decent speed accessing the information. The best you can do is find a happy medium between the two to try and keep every one happy.

Cheers!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

Alexander
post Dec 29 2017, 06:47 PM
Post#5

Many thanks DBguy

Total size is around 50MB so will consider the best option after my research into SQL server and other file transfer such as icloud, one drive etc.

--------------------
Alexander

theDBguy
post Dec 29 2017, 09:00 PM
Post#6

50MB is not that big. Access can go up to 2GB, and SQL Server can go to 10GB or more.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 30 2017, 07:19 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

A few more thoughts.

50MB is, indeed, pretty small, especially considering you haven't split this database. That would include both interface objects AND data. Once you split it, the data will be somewhat smaller. And this is probably not the first time you've heard this: splitting ANY Access database application is important. You need to do that. You really do.

If the remote user is going to need read-only access to the data, a remotely hosted SQL Server--or other database engine such as MySQL--isn't a problem. Most of the data can be retrieved using views and stored procedures which run on the server, not locally in Access. And that means the data retrieval will be reasonably efficient.

--------------------

Alexander
post Dec 30 2017, 12:34 PM
Post#8

Many thanks George for your additional comments

I have split many of my applications following advice from yourself and the DBguy but this is one of my older applications and my users find it easier to transfer the complete application and it has worked just fine.

With in increase of free storage space eg One Drive, Dropbox, BT etc I was hoping to use this option here in the UK.

I was thinking at the end of the day the main user simply uploaded to the Cloud (researching automatic upload) and other users the next day can download and use as required as they only view the queries and reports.

For those with a split FE/BE I will continue to read up on servers and options for the future.

Thanks again.

--------------------
Alexander

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 30 2017, 03:09 PM
Post#9

UA Admin

You can continue to copy files back and forth.

Or, you can move the data to a single location where any of your users can reach it, give them an accdb connected to that data, and not have to copy files back and forth any longer.

--------------------

Alexander
post Dec 31 2017, 05:40 AM
Post#10

Thanks George ...

Yes .. I can split the application and host the data (BE) on one drive and test the speed of operation.

Many thanks

--------------------
Alexander

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 31 2017, 08:54 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

Please do NOT use OneDrive or Dropbox or any other such file sharing service. The file sharing technology in Access makes them unsuitable for that.

--------------------

Alexander
post Dec 31 2017, 11:23 AM
Post#12

Thanks George for the warning and the link.

--------------------
Alexander

ForestByte
post Jan 15 2018, 01:03 PM
Post#13

Hi Alexander,

I think splitting your database would be very wise as recommended by the others. As for creating a read only copy please free to download my free tool called FBA Fuze from forestbyte.com, it will do exactly what you need (it is the opposite of the built-in Access splitter as it combines the front-end interface with the latest back-end data into a single Access file).

Cheers,
Vlad

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th April 2018 - 06:55 PM