UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac Users?    

doctor9
post Jan 3 2018, 10:36 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess Editor

So, my new year's resolution is to try to learn how to create apps for the iPad/iPhone. This requires me to do something I've never done before... buy a Mac. <shudder>

I don't have a huge budget (~$700-$800), and I'm really just testing the waters, so I'm thinking of going with the mid-range Mac Mini as my purchase. I believe that should give me enough computing power without costing a ton. If raising my budget to $1,200 would give me a significant leap in computing power, my wife would be willing to help me out to the tune of $400 in exchange for installing Photoshop on the new Mac so she can use it to edit photos. (She's a professional photographer, and she used to use an iMac G4 back in the early 2000's, and she loved it for photo editing before it just got too old.)

I'm curious if there are any Mac users here that have opinions on this.

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions
Go to the top of the page

tbs
post Jan 4 2018, 09:12 AM
Post#2

Get yourself a nice iMac. You'll probably need to spend about $1300 or so. You'll have enough power not only for yourself, but for your wife's photo editing jobs.

If you want to save some money, you might find some deals on a mac-minis (or even iMacs) from Apple's refurnished/clearance shelf: click here.

TBS

cheekybuddha
post Jan 4 2018, 10:44 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I'd hold off new hardware for a bit until new chips come out which mitigate Meltdown and Spectre.

In the meanwhile save up those pennies and get the best spec'd mac you can afford. They are lovely bits of hardware but the Apple premium always means you will be getting less capability than with other kit at a similar price point.

Perhaps look to replace your current laptop at the same time and invest that Monday together. You can always run Windows in Parallels or Virtual box. You can use the 2 OS'es seamlessly

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

doctor9
post Jan 4 2018, 11:03 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

For the record, I don't like laptops. I know, I'm weird.

The closest I got was when my Win7 machine died and I needed an immediate replacement when my bank account was nearly empty. I went to Sam's Club and got a $350 Win10 tower. When I later took that tower to a computer shop to try to upgrade the graphics card and the memory, I discovered that inside the tower case was a laptop motherboard hot-glued to the wall. Ugh. Anyway, since a laptop screen is so small, and the keyboard is attached to the screen, that means I'm always either looking down at the screen or reaching up to the keyboard, which I don't like when I'm working. Meanwhile, I already have a nice big VGA monitor or my TV set which I can use with the Mini, and USB keyboards and mice that are still in their boxes.

But here's the clincher... I'm looking at the specs, and it looks like the $700 mid-range Mac Mini has a 2.6Ghz CPU, which is faster than any other Mac priced under $1100. The iMac 2.8Ghz is about $1200, which isn't a significant boost as far as I can tell. I don't want to spend THAT much more to get that small boost, even if it does come with a screen, keyboard and mouse. Just doesn't seem to be a good tradeoff. If I feel like I need to upgrade to the Apple keyboard or the "magic" mouse, I'm thinking I can do that later on.

I will admit that there's a temptation to wait at least until spring, just to see if a new Mini is released, which would both drive down the price of the existing ones, as well as offer better processing power per dollar. But heck, you can use that argument to wait forever. I've been thinking about taking this leap for over a year, and I just think it's time.

If I'm missing something, please let me know, though. That's why I wanted to discuss this before getting it. thumbup.gif

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd April 2018 - 07:32 AM