UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cannot Open Database Error, Access 2013    

rbush
post Jan 18 2018, 09:16 AM
Post#1

Good Morning,

I have a department who inherited a database that was created in 2003, but is now "converted" to 2013. It has been working fine and now they get the following error message when they try to add an attachment to their attachment field via a Form. "Cannot open database ". It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt" They are able to enter records without problem, but just can't use the attachment field. I'm not too well versed in troubleshooting, and this is a .mdb database with linked tables to a Backend. That's all I know about it. Can someone offer some help or suggestions? I'm terrified to work on it! Thanks for the help - Rita
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Jan 18 2018, 09:31 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

What is the Back-End? Access, SQL Server, ?

How are you storing the attachments? as strings, OLE, attachments

It is going to be hard to help you without seeing the code.

Have you compacted the databases (both FE and BE) recently?

Can the problem be reproduced? Does it always happen to the same user? Same step?

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 18 2018, 09:40 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

First, make a copy to work on.

Work only on that copy until you know for sure what the problem is and how to resolve it.

Is this error coming from the Front End? If so, why not replace it with the most recent back up of that Front End?

rbush
post Jan 18 2018, 02:18 PM
Post#4

Thank you for your reply. The database and backend have been compacted. The backend is Access, we don't have SQL server. They say the attachments are stored within the database. The error happens no matter who logs in and uses the database. I'm "chicken" to make a copy to work on as I'm a bit unsure of unlinking the tables from the backend so I'm not troubleshooting with their current copy. This is a bit over my expertise of Access 101. Thanks.

DanielPineault
post Jan 18 2018, 02:23 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

What is the file size of the database files (FE and BE)?

Does the error occur if only one user is using the database vs. when multiple users are logged in?

As George mentioned, be sure to make backup copies of all your database files to have in case something ever goes wrong while trying to fix this issue.

If the database information isn't of a sensitive nature, and the file sizes permit it, perhaps you could post a copy of your database for us to review? Even blank out the tables, and send that to us, we really don't need your data?

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2018, 09:16 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Sorry, I wasn't focusing too well.

This is an attachment field? And the attachments are stored internally? Bad juju. That bloats accdbs dramatically.

As Daniel asks, how big is that BE? It could just be you've exceeded the size of an accdb and are now going to have to change directions.

DanielPineault
post Jan 19 2018, 09:30 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Bad juju

I'm going to have to quote you on that one George! hat_tip.gif

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2018, 09:44 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

It's my favorite new "technical term" ohyeah.gif It covers a lot of sins, errors, bugs and bad ideas. It applies, unfortunately, to way too many of my attempts at being creative in Access.

rbush
post Jan 24 2018, 01:25 PM
Post#9

Speaking of focusing, I've been on other projects and trying to get back to this. Here is what I found out. The Backend is 2,083,812 KB in size, so what I've read 2 GB is the max? The Frontend is 1,012 KB. This is a .mbd database and the data field type is OLE Object. What do you recommend we do from here? It looks as if they have exceeded the size limits, so when you say "change directions" I don't have a clue as to what our next step would be or how to do that. I have very basic skills with this. Yes probably lots of bad "juju" with this database, and you can't hear me but I having a lot of Darth Vader breathing going on! Arrgg....and thanks.

doctor9
post Jan 24 2018, 01:41 PM
Post#10

Remembered

rbush,

Pardon me for jumping in here, but here's my recommendation:

After you've restored a working copy of the backend from your backups...

0. Make a backup of your backend file.
1. Add a text field to the table containing the OLE field
2. Export your OLE files as actual files into a folder on your network.
3. Insert the path/filename of the file associated with the record into the new text field
4. In any form that allows the user to open a file, change it so it now opens the network file.
5. Ditto for any controls that used to allow a user to add a file to the database. Have it now copy the file to the network folder and store the path to the file instead of the file contents.

Once this is working properly, you should be able to safely remove the OLE field from your backend.

With this setup there's no risk of losing every single file when/if the backend ever gets corrupted.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

rbush
post Jan 26 2018, 03:41 PM
Post#11

Thank you so much for the detailed steps. I have forwarded this possible solution on to the department with the error and it made sense to her as to what to do. We appreciate all of you at UtterAccess as this a such a great resource for us beginners!

Our humble thanks,

Rita

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th September 2018 - 04:39 AM