UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Importing Rich Text And Hyperlinks From Excel To Access, Access 2013    

Leah
post Jan 19 2018, 10:36 AM
Post#1

I checked the web first but cannot make sense of it. Is there a way of importing Rich text from Excel to Access? Is there a way of importing fields with hypertext? I tried setting up the table first with one field as rich text and the other as hyperlink but it does not seem to work.

Pleas advise.

Thanks

Leah
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2018, 10:38 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Hi. Often it is helpful to know what it means to say, "...it does not work." Errors? Nothing? Wrong data? Incomplete fields? or something else?

Leah
post Jan 19 2018, 10:52 AM
Post#3

All the formatting was lost for both rich text when imported into a rich text field and the hyperlinks were no longer hyperlinks when they imported into a field with the hyperlink property.

Also even stranger, this morning my hyperlink property of the field in Access turned into Long Text overnight which is even worse. I think I am in the Twilight Zone for those who remember that show which was on when I was a kid.

This is the first time I worked with hyperlinks so I am not that familiar with them, but still the property should not have changed overnight.

Leah

Leah
post Jan 19 2018, 10:55 AM
Post#4

Just wanted to add, that I just changed the property back to hyperlink and now all the hyperlinks are hyperlinks again. Still need to know how to import them and what might have cased the property to change as I have never seen such a thing.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2018, 11:04 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

Both of these are custom formatting, so it's not at all surprising to hear that importing data from one file format to another might not handle it all as you anticipate it should.

So, in the destination table, how are the fields defined?

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 19 2018, 11:07 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Oops. I see that you addressed that in the original question.

Perhaps the problem is in the way you are trying to do the import. How are you trying to do the import?

Leah
post Jan 19 2018, 12:35 PM
Post#7

First I went to external data Excel and imported, but Access saw both the fields with Rich Text and Hyperlinks as text.

I tried linking and then appending to an empty table that was formatted with rich text and hyperlink respectively and that did not work either.

Leah

kswaringen
post Mar 2 2018, 11:40 AM
Post#8

I'm having a similar problem. I need to import an Excel file into Access 2016. My last two columns contain rich text (line breaks, bullet points, etc.). If I try an import that appends the Excel records to a table where I've set the Text Format property of the last two fields (both Long Text) to Rich Text, the rich text formatting IS NOT retained.

I have determined that if I (1) import the data into a new temporary table; (2) change the Text Format property of the two Long Text fields in that temporary table to Rich Text; and (3) append the data from the temporary table to my existing table, the rich text formatting IS retained.

I was just able to test this. Now I'm going to try and see if I can translate the steps into VBA (I can handle 1 and 3, but I need to work out 2).

Kristen

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th September 2018 - 04:42 PM