UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dev. Environment Overridden, Access 2016    

OCM
post Jan 24 2018, 11:19 AM
Post#21

Thank you both for your reply post.

Joe,
Exactly how I envisioned I should be able to recover the two tables I modified. And, when you outlined it step by step it makes more sense.
1. Move the BE in the Dev folder to the Sample folder.

I did so by relinking them from to their new location. Correct?
I now have a functioning sampleDB set.

In your step #3, I just need to import the two tables I modified from Admin BE.
3.alt. Open the BE in the Dev folder, delete the tables you want anew from Admin, then Import the tables from the Admin BE.

For the import process: I just need to open the BE in Dev folder go to external data > from databases > access… browse to Admin BE and double click the two tables etc.
Since the FE in Dev. is linked to the BE in the same location I do not need to do anything else, correct?

TIA

Regards

Go to the top of the page

RJD
post Jan 24 2018, 11:34 AM
Post#22

UtterAccess VIP

DO NOT JUST RELINK!

You must COPY the BE from Dev folder to Sample folder (given that you will import the two tables, rather than copying the Admin BE). The BE must exist in both folders (again, since you want to import the two tables). Then relink the Sample FE to the just copied BE in the Sample folder. I hope that is what you are doing.

Then you can proceed open the BE in the Dev folder, delete the two offending tables, then importing the two tables from the Admin folder. On the ribbon, External Data, Import, Access, choose the Admin BE, choose the two tables, import. From what you are saying, I am assuming that you do not want the data in other tables in the Admin BE. Otherwise, if you want all the tables, just copy the Admin BE to the Dev folder and relink from the Dev FE.

And remember to make backups of everything before you start this ...

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

OCM
post Jan 24 2018, 11:51 AM
Post#23

Thank you both for your reply post.

Joe,
Exactly how I envisioned I should be able to recover the two tables I modified. And, when you outlined it step by step it makes more sense.
1. Move the BE in the Dev folder to the Sample folder.

I now have a functioning sampleDB set.

In your step #3, I just need to import the two tables I modified from Admin BE.
3.alt. Open the BE in the Dev folder, delete the tables you want anew from Admin, then Import the tables from the Admin BE.

For the import process: I just need to open the BE in Dev folder go to external data > from databases > access… browse to Admin BE and double click the two tables etc., since the FE in Dev. is linked to the BE in the same location I do not need to do anything else, correct?

TIA

Regards,

RJD
post Jan 24 2018, 11:56 AM
Post#24

UtterAccess VIP

Looks like you re-posted your previous post exactly as it was. Did you mean to do that? Or did you mean to respond to my last post?

Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

OCM
post Jan 24 2018, 12:51 PM
Post#25

Joe,

Yes, I did copy the BE from Dev to Sample folder and performed the relinking. I then deleted the two tables in Dev, imported them from Admin BE.
I opened the Dev FE and verified the two tables now have the data I want. I also opened the FE in Sample to make sure the data I deleted is still gone.

However, when I attempted to run existing queries, reports etc. I get nothing (blank). Am I missing any steps?

TIA
Regards,

RJD
post Jan 24 2018, 01:04 PM
Post#26

UtterAccess VIP

Hard to know what you did without seeing your db. Have you checked your queries to make sure they still look okay (SQL-wise)? With all the changes you made (such as renaming tables previously) it is possible that the queries are now incorrect.

Is it possible you could post the offending db for us to look at (FE and BE)? And tell us which objects are coming up empty.

HTH
Joe

--------------------

OCM
post Jan 24 2018, 02:20 PM
Post#27

Joe,
That was initially my intention and the problem happened along the process.
To avoid making unnecessary mistake again, what will be the safest method to remove non- relevant objects and post the db. I plan posting bott (be/fe) that I have in the Sample folder.

TIA

Regards,

RJD
post Jan 24 2018, 06:17 PM
Post#28

UtterAccess VIP

Just make copies of the FE and BE from the Dev folder, and put the in a new folder, say C:\UATest. (I'll build a new folder awaiting your files.) You can append _UA to each file for clarification purposes. Then re-link the new FE to the new BE in the new folder. Then you can simply delete any non-relevant objects and modify any sensitive data. Then compact both files and zip them into one zip file and attach here in a post. The maximum for a zip file here is 2MB.

This way we will not have to do the re-linking when we download the files.

HTH
Joe

--------------------

OCM
post Jan 26 2018, 11:27 AM
Post#29

Thank you both,
Joe, my Dev. environment is working fine now. Your step by step instruction was very helpful.

I appreciate all your help.

Regards,

RJD
post Jan 26 2018, 10:17 PM
Post#30

UtterAccess VIP

You are very welcome. Glad you got that working. We are all happy to assist. thumbup.gif

Good luck with your project.

Regards,
Joe

--------------------

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th September 2018 - 04:32 AM