UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Preserving Formatting In Excel, Access 2016    

AnthonyMA
post Feb 6 2018, 05:40 AM
Post#1

I have a rich text field in a table. If I copy and paste its contents into Excel, I lose the formatting (eg italic), where it is present. If I use Word as an interim step, copying from there, then the paste ends up in Excel as expected. Nothing to be done about that, I suppose.
Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Feb 6 2018, 09:17 AM
Post#2

Remembered

AnthonyMA,

I believe the issue may be that the "Rich Text" in Access is not truly Rich Text; it's simple HTML markup. So, if you have this in Access: "The quick brown fox" it's stored like this: "The quick <italic>brown</i> fox". When you copy it to a Word document, my guess is that Word is converting the HTML into true Rich Text, which can then be copied to Excel. This makes sense because Word is the application that is dedicated to formatting text. Excel doesn't handle HTML as well as Word does. And Access is still just dipping it's toe into the water with it's fairly new "Rich Text" capabilities.

Are you trying to do more than just manually copy and paste? For example, are you trying to export the table data while preserving the formatting?

Dennis

AnthonyMA
post Feb 6 2018, 10:55 AM
Post#3

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I'll sort out a work-around. I appreciate your help.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2018 - 02:09 PM