UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Application On Portable Drive, Access 2016    

LagoDavid
post Feb 26 2018, 07:29 AM
Post#1

I have several applications using a split database and all the applications refer to a common database with most all of the tables. Some tables are local to each individual app. I would like to put all the applications on a portable drive so that I can use them and further develop them from different computers. Even though all of the databases are contained in the same folder, I have not been able to do this because the drive letter and file path change with each computer. Suggestions?

I did a search and found a thread with a sub below, but I am uncertain about how apply this.

Sub ChangeMapping(oldletter as string, newletter as string)
dim td as tabledef
for each td in currentdb.tabledefs
td.connect=replace(td.connect,oldletter,newletter)
td.refresh
next td
End Sub

Do I create a form in each database with a command button and two text boxes, such as txtOldLetter and txtNewLetter? then how do I get the values of the text boxes to the sub?

Is there a better way to do this?

Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 26 2018, 08:05 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

A more effective solution is to use the full UNC path to the folder containing the back end, not a mapped drive.

e.g. \\server\folder\subfolder\youraccdbnamegoeshere.accdb

not W:\folder\subfolder\youraccdbnamegoeshere.accdb

--------------------

LagoDavid
post Feb 26 2018, 09:53 AM
Post#3

GPG,
Sorry to further request help, but I am afraid my current skill level does not allow me to understand your advice.
1. I am working on a desktop PC in a home office environment and want to take my databases with me on a portable SSD and attach to my laptop when I travel.
2. At times if possible, when I am in a customer site where there is a LAN, I would like to connect my portable SSD to a workstation on the LAN and use the databases. This is not as important to me as #1.
3. On a laptop while not on a LAN, is there a SERVER?
4. Where do I make this change?

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 26 2018, 10:03 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

I see. I guess I didn't understand the use case.

So, you want to plug YOUR SSD into a CLIENT'S computer. At that point, I assume you'd then use that CLIENT's computer? Or would you then also plug your laptop into the CLIENT's LAN?

As long as it's attached to YOUR laptop, it should not need to be changed, should it?

So, why not plug your laptop into your client's LAN and plug the SSD into your laptop in all cases?

Or am I still missing something?

--------------------

LagoDavid
post Feb 26 2018, 11:44 AM
Post#5

my first and primary need is to use a portable drive on my laptop so I can use my databases when I travel. For now, let's just limit the question to that.

1. My databases (FE and BE) are all in the same directory on my desktop computer.
2. When I copy them to a portable drive, the links to the BE are broken because the full path is not the same when I plug the portable drive into my laptop.
3. I think You said use //ServerName/FolderPath instead of /DriveLetter/FolderPath but sorry I don't understand how to do that

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th June 2018 - 03:50 AM