UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Update Query Adds A Certificate Number To Another Unrelated Table, Access 2016    

Oblio
post Feb 26 2018, 11:48 AM
Post#1

I have two tables. t_MCRs ( is a scanned form ) and t_Certificates ( a set of alpha-numeric certificate numbers )

t_Certificates:

Certificates_ID, autonumber, Long integer
MCRs_DE_ID, Short Text ( This is the certificate field I want to add to t_MCRS, in the empty field named MCRS_DE_ID )
Certificate_Assigned, Boolean, Yes/No, ( I want this to be updated to Yes once a certificate has been assigned to t_MCRs )

t_MCRs

MCRs_ID, number, integer
MCRs_DE_ID, short text

In the update query, am I able to update t_MCRs where MCRs_DE_I'D in t_MCRs is Null....

So, if t_MCRs has 5 records where MCRs_DE_ID is empty, can the update query apply the next set of 5 unused certificates, and then mark those as used?

Thanks,

BIll

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Feb 26 2018, 11:50 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,

I believe an UPDATE query can only update one table at a time, but I could be wrong since I haven't tried it before.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 26 2018, 01:52 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

I concur.

This might take a Function or Sub in VBA that runs each of your update queries in turn.

--------------------

Oblio
post Feb 26 2018, 01:52 PM
Post#4

OK, thanks DBGUY. .. any ideas on how you might accomplish this.....using VBA for instance ?

Thanks,

Bill

zaxbat
post Feb 26 2018, 02:31 PM
Post#5

Are you basically just trying to earmark these certificates and reserve them for use with said records? If so, you might put a status field in for the certificate to mark it as available reserved used etc. and when choosing next available certificate number take the first one with 'available' status. Just an idea....

--------------------
Kindest regards, and Cheers!
ZAX

A picture is worth a thousand words and a zipped DB is worth a thousand pictures.
Oh, and....please don't disappear into the Twilight Zone.... Holler back with your results!

Oblio
post Feb 27 2018, 10:01 AM
Post#6

Yes, we need to add a certificate number which is used by a partner company as their reference...

I just am not sure how to apply something that is not related in a meaningful way...

SELECT * FROM t_Certificates WHERE certificate_Assigned = No and t_MCRs!MCRs_DE_ID is Null is sort of what is going around in my head but I really do not know how to write the function...any samples or guidance you can provide would be very helpful...

It's a rush job...I have a week to work it out... so any help would be great !!!

Thanks,

Bill

Oblio
post Feb 27 2018, 10:28 AM
Post#7

Hi GroverParkGeorge,

Are you aware of anything out there resembling this type of scenario ?

Oblio
post Feb 27 2018, 02:52 PM
Post#8

I have tried the following SQL in an update query, however, it only copies the first certificate to each of the records in t_MCRs...any idea on doing this in an update query so that each record in t_MCRs gets a unique certificate number?

Here is the update query:

UPDATE t_Certificates, t_MCRs SET t_MCRs.MCRs_DE_ID = [t_Certificates]![MCRs_DE_ID]
WHERE (((t_MCRs.FName) Like "01.pdf"));

The "Like 01.pdf" limits the number of certificates required to the number of empty certificates in t_MCRs.

But, it only copies the very first Certificate to each record in t_MCRs...

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th June 2018 - 02:23 AM