UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inventory Template: How Can I Display Photo Attachment In Report?, Access 2016    

access-newbie
post Feb 27 2018, 01:53 PM
Post#1

I am a total newbie to Access. I tried making the inventory for my furnished rental house in Microsoft Excel, but I wanted to be able to display photos of each item, and it was such a pain trying to get the photos to stay in the cells, and having to size the rows to be crazy huge to accommodate the pictures. Plus, I want to be able to easily generate different reports for Bedroom, Living Room, etc, or for different categories such as Linens, Housewares, Furniture, etc. After struggling with Excel for a few days, suddenly it hit me ... I need a DATABASE! And then I remembered I had Microsoft Access.

So I opened up Access 2016, and first thing I saw, they had pre-made templates ... one of them was for a database called "Assets Tracking," which is almost exactly what I needed. It's already set up with appropriate fields, and I saw the Reports menu allows me to generate nice clear reports with headings (no more fiddling with Excel columns and row sizes), and it quickly generates the report for any category breakdown that I want. Fantastic!

But I'm a total newbie, and I don't know how to do even the most rudimentary things. Like I'd like to change the names of some of the fields, and I don't know how. I did some searches online, and the videos don't seem to match up with what I'm seeing on my screen.

I can live with the field names as they are, but the most important thing is that I'd like to be able to display those attachments in the report. At least one attachment PHOTO per Inventory item. Right now, none of the ready-made Reports are showing the attachment pics. Do you know how to add the attachments pics to the Report? I have read online, some people are saying that it only shows the 1st picture and they want to know how have it display the other attachments. I guess that's a more advanced thing, and I, too, would like the Report to show multiple attachments (ideally) ... HOWEVER, just as a start, if I could do the easier thing of having the REPORT display the first picture, that would be fine, for now.

I've also seen some videos online about how people are putting links to the file location (where the photo is stored), and then they are creating fields (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology; I don't know if it's called a "FIELD" in Access) that link to that photo. Then somehow they have another place where that photo link is referenced, and so it displays in the report. This way, you could have a bunch of photos in your report without creating an enormous Access file (which is what happens if you use Attachments). I am interested in that method, too. I watched the video, and it's cool ... however, I went into Design and Layout view, and I couldn't figure out how to get anything like the screens that he was showing for that.

So .. Yes, eventually I would like to do the photos as shown by the video I saw (do you want me to post a link to that? I'm not sure if it's allowed by the rules), but for right now, I'm using low-resolution pics. Each one is only 500kb or less, so even if I have 200 pictures, that will only be 200 MB, which I suppose isn't that terribly huge. The thing is, I'm trying to get something "quick and dirty" done right now so that I can give this inventory sheet as a print-out to the new renter coming this week. I can print it without any pictures, but the pictures would help so much! If I can find a quick way to get at least one pic per inventory item, that would be awesome. Can you guys help with that? I can figure out how to do more advanced stuff later.

I would like to attach the database here, but I was surprised that it was already 3 MB, more than the 2 MB limit! So I tried re-downloading the "Assets Tracking" template, and keeping it empty. Guess what ... the empty template is 2.12 MB! Yikes. I thought it might be close enough and still allow upload, but no dice. frown.gif Oh well!

Anyway ... this my first post. Thank you for your help! I know this is all volunteer, and I truly appreciate it. Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

access-newbie
post Feb 27 2018, 01:54 PM
Post#2

I'm sorry, the title says "Inventory Template," but the actual name of the template I'm using is "Assets Tracking."
Thank you!

zaxbat
post Mar 2 2018, 05:31 PM
Post#3

I have never worked with this....but there is a control in the report design menu (see pic).
It allows you to put pics into your report. You can imbed them or just link to them (presumably they will pull in and print out at print time).
Sorry I do not know more about it...but have never used it.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  reportpics.jpg ( 352.96K )Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  reportpics.jpg ( 352.96K )Number of downloads: 1

zaxbat
post Mar 2 2018, 05:32 PM
Post#4

I have never worked with this....but there is a control in the report design menu (see pic).
It allows you to put pics into your report. You can imbed them or just link to them (presumably they will pull in and print out at print time).
Sorry I do not know more about it...but have never used it.

zaxbat
post Mar 2 2018, 06:46 PM
Post#5

sorry....was having problems with network when posting...was trying to attach this pic...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  reportpics.jpg ( 352.96K )Number of downloads: 0

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2018 - 10:52 AM