UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help With Entering Text On A Form, Any Version    

Surico
post Mar 1 2018, 11:42 AM
Post#1

Hi,

I'm just wondering if someone can explain what is happening to my archive database, basically when I adding a new file I click on "files", "Add new file" and fill out the relevant fields, and when I need to I fill out the "Further Details" field with extra information, and I thought I had designed it so that it could take up to 4000 characters but for some reason it't not letting me enter no where near half of what I want to add. I've word counted it and its well within my character limit so I'm quite confused.

Could someone have a look and see if they can see a reason as to why it is doing this?

I've also attached the information I wanted added so that you can copy and paste and see for yourselves what is going on.

Any help given is so much appreciated guys

Thanks
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Archive_System_Rev2.zip ( 511.34K )Number of downloads: 6

Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Mar 1 2018, 12:14 PM
Post#2

the field in DEEDs table: is long text, but remove the FORMAT setting. It doesnt need one. Long text can store gigabyte of text.

the field in WILLs table: is short text. Do you want it to be LONG TEXT?

Surico
post Mar 1 2018, 12:24 PM
Post#3

what does the "FORMAT" setting do?

What about the field in the files table as that is the one I have noticed the issue with?

LPurvis
post Mar 1 2018, 12:25 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Hi

Ah, a solicitor's Wills and Deeds database. I did one of those about two thousand years ago (or about the year 2000, I forget which). (To be fair, I did a lot of solicitor's databases so it's to be expected.)

Firstly, the spaces in all your object names will do you no favours down the road. Camel case works well.

Secondly, following your directions, I end up at the last record in the Files table (actually called "Add New File" - a temporary name? If you want files to be pending before being added, another field can determine their status, you shouldn't need another table.)
If I then click the next Add New File button, I am taken to a new record (not the "last" record in the table) and can enter details, into the thousands of characters. (I entered 49,000 characters just to be sure.)

You can't edit the record at all when you first open the table due to the AllowEdits property which is switched off when you click Add New File again.

Cheers

--------------------

RJD
post Mar 1 2018, 12:34 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: When I remove the /4000 format from the table and control, the entire text can be copied to the memo control/field. I am not familiar with the /4000 custom format, and do not find it in any documentation I just looked at. That does not mean it isn't there somewhere, just that this one is out of my experience and searching.

If you want to limit the entry to 4000 characters in the memo field, you might want to try using an After Update event procedure to re-set the length to your 4000 character limit with VBA, and give a warning to the user.

Or perhaps someone else knows how to set the format to limit the size of the memo field input.

HTH
Joe.

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

Surico
post Mar 2 2018, 05:14 AM
Post#6

Hi,

RJD: I used the /4000 because I thought it would allow me to enter more characters, I took it off and the same problem persists.

LPurvis: It allows me to enter all the characters but when I click away into another field and then click back 90% of what I have written is gone, could you try that and see if the same happens to you with the text I attached?

It's really confusing because I have entered big texts before without there being any issues like this so I have no idea what's gone on.

LPurvis
post Mar 2 2018, 07:28 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Hi

I think I understand the source of your misconception.
It's not that you can't enter the values, but when you leave the control, then the formatting applies, you re-enter and attempt to edit it and in the process abbreviate it (as the subsequent characters are not displayed).
It's showing you only the leading 256 characters.
The format you have applied simply makes it appear that there are fewer characters in that control that the field can hold.

You need to remove the Format property from the Form control, not just the field in the table.
But the data was being entered (that 49,000 characters were entered in my test), it's just in attempting to edit, you abbreviated it again.

Cheers

--------------------

RJD
post Mar 2 2018, 12:48 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: Leigh has given you the analysis and possible solution to your issue. What I did was get rid of the format in the table and control and add a button "Edit this File" that turns on the edit (and other things), and clicking this allows you to add text to the field in question. And the new text stays there.

See the revision to your db. Does this help at all?

HTH
Joe
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Archive_System_Rev4.zip ( 142.71K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th June 2018 - 07:15 AM