UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Function Get Previousvalue Of Record Not Working, Access 2016    

shwan
post Mar 3 2018, 04:20 AM
Post#1

Hello,
So I have this function in a standard module
Public Function GetPreviousValue(frm As Form, strField As String) As Variant
On Error GoTo Err_Handler
'Purpose: Return the value from the previous row of the form.
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Set rs = frm.RecordsetClone
rs.Bookmark = frm.Bookmark
rs.MovePrevious
GetPreviousValue = rs(strField)

Set rs = Nothing

Exit_Handler:
Exit Function

Err_Handler:
If Err.Number <> 3021& Then 'No current record
Debug.Print Err.Number, Err.Description
End If
GetPreviousValue = Null
Resume Exit_Handler
End Function

When I put this: =GetPreviousValue([Forms]![frmweeklyappointments]![saturdaysubform].[Form], "patientname")
as a data source for a textbox in my subform, it works fine, but when I call the same function in the Current Event of my subform, it returns null value! why is this?? Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

zaxbat
post Mar 3 2018, 05:59 AM
Post#2

I have this same type of problem a lot. I think it involves referencing and scope. When you call from one main form....the textbox may be referenced differently than it is from another form (like subform). I sometimes have to toy with the reference for hours before i get it right. But you are using a Global function called from.....oh a subform.

[Forms]![frmweeklyappointments]![saturdaysubform].[Form]

looks like you are referencing a textbox called patientname that is located on subform saturdaysubform that is located on form frmweeklyappointments

I find that the brackets are generally not needed unless the name has spaces or special characters (which should be avoided in names since that practice can create many wild goose chases).

The bang (!) versus the dot(.) dilemma. Honestly, I find no hard and fast rule about these...sometimes they seem interchangeable and sometimes not. So, I'm no help there (I don't think anybody knows that answer).

One tool that is use is a break in the function and then I addwatch to the parameters passed in......the way you reference that value when you add the watch will tell you how you need to reference it from the code. If add watch can't find it then adjust the reference till you get it.
This post has been edited by zaxbat: Mar 3 2018, 06:05 AM

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 3 2018, 08:39 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

When presented with an unexpected result like this, one very useful debug tool is to set a break point in the code and step through it, watching the values of different variables at each step. See where it goes off the track for you.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th September 2018 - 09:39 AM