UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Issue With Graphing Object Running On Office Click-to-run?, Access 2016    

cocoflipper
post Mar 4 2018, 02:59 PM
Post#1

Hi all,

I have a client who installed Office 365 Click to Run, Access 2016 (specifically, version 1802, Build 9029.2167). They are running Windows 7, SP1. Now the graphing in the app that I created for them does not work. The code fails when on code part using SeriesCollection of the chart object that I reference on a form:

CODE
Set chtObj = Me!UC_Chart.Object.Application.Chart
chtObj.SeriesCollection(1).DataLabels.NumberFormat = "#,##0.0"

When the program hits this second line, I get an error 1004 - "Unable to get the SeriesCollection property of the Chart class."

OK - how is this.... This code has been working in many environments (Windows 7/Access 2010-2016, Windows 10/Access 2010-2016). Now, it fails- ???!!!

To date, I applied every update, tried repairing their Office install, even tried moving a working Graph.exe over to the referenced folder location as a last resort - none has worked. If it is Click to Run, do they have another option (installing a non click-to-run version of Access 2016)?

Anyone out there have any suggestions or insight into this wonderful new issue for me and my client?

Many thanks for any direction or advice!

--------------------
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."
- Napolean Hill, author
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Mar 4 2018, 03:58 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

What about rolling back an update or update(s) to see if it is a recent update that broke things?

http://www.devhut.net/2017/10/04/microsoft...tall-an-update/

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

cocoflipper
post Mar 8 2018, 12:57 AM
Post#3

Hi Daniel, I don't think that's an option at the moment, as the client has just gone to a full-on Office 365 mode.

This code has been working in many environments (Windows 7/Access 2010-2016, Windows 10/Access 2010-2016). Other clients also have Office 365, and have this same app running.

So, further troubleshooting....

As I've mentioned, the code it fails on is :

CODE
Set chtObj = Me!UC_Chart.Object.Application.Chart
chtObj.SeriesCollection(1).DataLabels.NumberFormat = "#,##0.0"

One thing I substituted for simplicity sake in the initial post is that the SeriesCollection in this code is dynamic, meaning it actually looks more like this in code:

CODE
chtObj.SeriesCollection(passedInLng).DataLabels.NumberFormat = "#,##0.0"

The "passedInLng" is a number that relates to a series that needs the number format edited. This number is the series I am trying to edit, so it could be series 1,2,3, etc., all based upon the base query of the chart. The passedInLng var will be limited to the number of items in the base query of the chart. For example, if the query has three fields (excluding the header column), then I should have SeriesCollection values of SeriesCollection(1),SeriesCollection(2) and SeriesCollection(3) that I can manipulate. Sometimes the query will have 1 value, sometimes, 2, but the SeriesCollection has always been dynamic and matches the number of column in the base query.

Here's the problem, and I've confirmed this by testing the accdb version on the client site - the chart object in this version does not seem to be dynamic, the SeriesCollection does not increase or decrease based upon the base query column count. When I run a report, the series count does not change, even when the base query changes from 1 to 2, or to 3 values. This is different behavior than my development environment, other client environments? ??

Why is the SeriesCollection not changing with the underlying query? Does this point to an issue with the install, when objects don't work like they do everywhere else?

Any help with this is appreciated!

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

DanielPineault
post Mar 8 2018, 06:00 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Why can't you try reverting to another build no and see if the issue is with the latest build? Sorry, but I just don't follow. There have been a whole slew of issues with the Office365 updates and there is, once again, at least one major issue with the most recent update, so reverting has become a regular necessity to get out of trouble.

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

cocoflipper
post Mar 8 2018, 09:52 AM
Post#5

Hi Dan,

You make it sound simple, like choosing a Samsung 8 phone instead of the new 9. Can one choose builds the same way? This is a new install done by an IT contractor, so I do not have control over this network. Since I don't do that as my main job, either (I make Access apps), I don't know how easy it is to pick a version of the Office install and say - "that is the build that I will use". If this is the first install of the Office 365 software, how can they revert back to a prior version?

Any insight into selecting a particular build would be helpful. Thanks!

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

DanielPineault
post Mar 8 2018, 10:28 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

That's all in the article I provided a link to.

You need to run a command line statement

CODE
officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.xxxx.yyyy

In which you simply replace 16.0.xxxx.yyyy with the build you wish to implement. Once you run the command, don't forget to turn off automatic updates or MS will automatically update you again to a new build if/when one is available. The same command can be used to upgrade to a specific build. Its just a pain that there is no interface and you need to figure out your current build, what build you want, ... MS sure didn't make configuring Office365 easy!

--------------------

cocoflipper
post Mar 8 2018, 11:07 AM
Post#7

Hi Dan,

Let me get this straight. ...you are telling me that I simply have to reinstall Office with one of these builds:

Version and Build Number - Office 365 Pro Plus

There is no information on which one would work, so which one would you pick?

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

DanielPineault
post Mar 8 2018, 11:27 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

You don't need to uninstall/reinstall anything (assuming you currently have Office365/2016 installed), you need only tell your current installation to switch builds by running a DOS command. That's it.

But you see how much confusion MS has introduced into something as simple as uninstalling an update! crazy.gif

--------------------

cocoflipper
post Mar 8 2018, 12:28 PM
Post#9

OK - I will talk with their IT contractor and see what can be done. Good god! Development problems never seem to end with MS!

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

DanielPineault
post Mar 8 2018, 12:32 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Not recently, no. It's been especially painful since Office365/2016.

--------------------

cocoflipper
post Mar 9 2018, 04:33 PM
Post#11

Thanks Dan! Moving the client down from the most recent C2R version 1802 (build 9029.2167), the Feb 28th build on the monthly channel to Version 1711 (Build 8730.2175), January 9th, corrected the issue that was showing itself, namely that the datasheet of the chart object was not updating with the seriescollection column count when the underlying base query changed to have more or less columns. There was another noticeable issue with the report, but I'm going to let their IT contractor mess around with the builds until they find one that properly utilizes the functionality.

Now, the question would be...how does Microsoft get notice that they broke their Office app? Do you know what channel I would use to ring the mothership and ask them to kindly fix their software?

Many thanks again!

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

DanielPineault
post Mar 9 2018, 05:23 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

Now that you've confirmed the source of the issue, I have forwarded the issue to them. Someone will look into this. I let you know if ever I hear anything on the subject.

--------------------

shanegroff
post Mar 9 2018, 05:53 PM
Post#13

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to make a change to the code to see if it resolves your problem?
If so, add this function to a module:

Public Sub Wait(Duration As Long)
Dim NowTick As Long
Dim EndTick As Long

EndTick = GetTickCount() + Duration
Do
NowTick = GetTickCount()
DoEvents
Loop Until NowTick >= EndTick
End Sub

Then before attempting to access a property on the chart series, add this line:

Wait 1000

Let me know if that affects the behavior.

Thanks,
Shane Groff
Microsoft Access Engineering

DanielPineault
post Mar 9 2018, 05:57 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Thanks a lot Shane for taking the time to look into this!

--------------------

cocoflipper
post Mar 9 2018, 08:12 PM
Post#15

Hi Shane,

I did something similar in some earlier versions of the code, something like this:

CODE
Do Until chtFormObj.SeriesCollection.count = CurrentDb.QueryDefs(chtFormObj.RowSource).Fields.count - 1
    DoEvents
Loop

where chtFormObj = Me!MyChart

Basically, I used this code to wait for the seriescollection to catch up to the base query columns, similar to what you suggest with the Wait procedure which will wait a bit for things to catch up. I had tested this as part of my troubleshooting earlier and found that this just got stuck in an endless loop, with the series collection never matching the base query no matter how long I set the system to wait.

The problem is that the seriescollection never catches up, because for some reason this build is not adjusting the seriescollection count to match what the underlying query of the chart is. I think my testing has confirmed that with version 1802 (build 9029.2167) the seriescollection does not update. When I changed the Office version to Version 1711 (Build 8730.2175), the seriescollection started updating again. This tells me that the current build has an issue.

Thanks for weighing in Shane - let me know if you think there is another way to test out this issue.

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

cocoflipper
post Mar 12 2018, 01:01 PM
Post#16

Hi Daniel,

Don't know if you got an update to this post, since I replied to Shane's post. Tested and replied back that his suggested fix does not fix the functionality issue with that build. Hopefully the MS Access office is humming with corrections to the latest build. Thanks for forwarding this over to them.

BTW...How to I get that kind of access? grinhalo.gif

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

DanielPineault
post Mar 12 2018, 02:12 PM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

MVPs have access to their respective Dev groups and Shane (Access Dev Team) is always listening when we forward such issues.

--------------------

cocoflipper
post Mar 14 2018, 02:29 PM
Post#18

Hi Shane at Microsoft,

Checking in to see if this issue has been addressed. I see that there is another monthly channel update (version 1802, build 9029.2253, published 3/13/18). Is this issue now corrected?

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

cocoflipper
post Mar 24 2018, 08:13 AM
Post#19

Hi Daniel,

As of yet (and with the new channel update on March 13th, Version 1802, Build 9029.2253), this has not been corrected by Microsoft. After Shane's initial suggestion, no other feedback. Is this something you can champion to Microsoft's team (Office, Access, whoever needs to fix it)? I have clients that depend on this working.

Thanks!

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

cocoflipper
post Apr 29 2018, 04:22 PM
Post#20

A note to all those who might read through these thread ... Monthly Channel, 1804, 9226.2114, April 25, 2018 , looks like it did fix this problem. That is what I tested just now. Did the prior monthly channel fix this? I don't know. I never got a notice that it was fixed in the first place.

Is there some way to get a notification of these fixes? Not that I expect someone to monitor my needs on this site, or as an Office/Access user, but with something like this where a person close to the development process weighs in, I would have thought a note to this thread would have been in order. I don't see any monthly channel fix information (i.e. - 1804 fixes include: ...) out there on the internet. Does this seem like too much of an ask --- ? --- wondering aloud, but really, service to people developing on this software should be a consideration.

There, I've vented. Now, onto fixing other issues...

--------------------
- Napolean Hill, author

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th September 2018 - 12:08 AM