UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommended Reading Access 2000    

ghubbell
post Jun 5 2003, 07:50 PM
Post#1

UA Administrator

Microsoft Access 2000 Bible:
They say information wants to be free, and you can be its liberator by using the Microsoft Access 2000 Bible. Written to bring all levels of users up to the first steps of advanced use, it's as clear as a tutorial and as comprehensive as a reference can be. It even includes a 32-page "Quick Start" guide for newbies who want to get up and running quickly.

Access 2000 Developer:
Provides a two volume set designed to offer solutions to real-world challenges. Provides expert instruction, focusing on advanced access techniques.

Mastering Access 2000 Development:
Alison Balter's Mastering Access 2000 Development is a well-written, well-paced, and comprehensive tutorial on virtually every aspect of the new Access 2000, written for any beginning or intermediate developer. With its notable clarity, this book can put basic Access development within reach of many users.

From DB2ME
Have you ever seen/used the "Using Access 2000"? If you have, would you recommend it?
Thanks.

From ghubbell
Don't think I have so I don't think I can ! Anyone? Anyone?
Gord

From khaos:
It's an ok if you don't know a lot of Access, but it doesn't have a lot of the more intense subject matter. It's similar to the type of books Learn something in 21 days. So pick it up if you're new or if it's cheap and you need reference material.

From Copper_Kettle:
I'd recommend "An introduction to Database Systems" by C.J.Date.
I have the seventh edition.
Helluva book.

From gotfalls:
Do you know of any books useful for a beginner? Say a step-by-step sort of book. A guidebook, if you will. I'm kinda impatient with all the jibberish that they talk about in the beginning of the Bible, and they use only their own examples to explain things. I need hands on training here!

From fquan59:
Take a look at Inside Relational Databases by Mark Whitehorn. Very easy to understand.

From argeedblu:
Good choices all, Gord. The 2002 versions are equally good.

From wjholtjr:
CAn excellent addition to your list is Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server by Mary Chipman and Andy Baron. My local Books-A-Million did not carry it in stock but it only took 1 day to have shipped. Very good and useful code samples. On par with the Access 2000 Developer's Handbook Set.

From Roger Carlson:
I recommend "Access Cookbook" by Ken Getz, Paul Litwin, and Andy Baron; Published by O'Reilly
It is an updated version of Getz "Access 2.0 How-to CD". It contains a comprehensive collection of problems, solutions,and practical examples for the Access power user or programmer who is running up against some of the apparent limits of the Access user interface or of Access application development.

From magconpres:
I have Balter's Mastering Access 97 Development book. Still use it as a reference. Great book.. i expect the 2002 version is just as good.
For beginner developers, I think it is a good book as well. However, yous hould be fairly familiar with the normal Access wizards, etc before jumping into vb.

From cs51:
Access 2000 Bible by Cary N. Prague et al is one of the best book for an intermediate user .For VBA you can refer to Access 2000 power programming by F. Scott Barker , Tech media publications

From StuckInDBhell:
Access 2000 - The Complete Reference by Virginia Andersen has proven very helpful to start me on my way - covers everything from the beginner user to developing as an end-user application. Brought me from opening Access for the first time to intermediate in no time.

From LittleViews:
I've gone from 0 knowledge of Access to building a fairly sophisticated application within 2 months by reading everything I could get my hands on and copying whatever I found. Access sure is not for dummies . . .
Book 1: Microsoft Access 2002 Visual Basic for applications step by step: Hard to read and hard to follow BUT will get you where you want to go if you need to get there quickly. Must be read symultaneously with other books or you won't understand a word BUT it does have some good highly necessary routines that are presented with clarity.
Book 2: Access 200 VBA by Sussman & Smith: Excellent reference also loaded with code to get a NewBee off the ground. It is not for dummies and it is writen IMHO at a high level, but not so high that it kills. Sussman & Smith are Saints.
Book 3: Access 2000 Programming Weekend Crash Course: You will have to tough this one out. It is written for someone who must be somewhat familiar with whatever the heck Access is all about. When read with other books, makes sense. Has some things that can be lifted for your own application.
Book 4: Access 2000 Vol 1: Desktop Edition - Developer's Handbook: Not for the faint of heart BUT required reference for all other books (and visa versa). I usually look for solutions for problems listed in 3 or 4 different ways which is why I own so many books. This one came highly recommended and contains really good stuff. It is not something you'd read for the pleasure of reading. You need what you need to know then be prepared to spend time pondering.
Book 5: Mastering Microsoft Access 2000 Development by Alison Balter: I just bought this as it explains underlying principles. I do not recommend it as one's first read, but after you've delved in Books 1 through 4, you'll be able to approach and understand it. BTW, anyone who uses the Query Generator has got to be nuts as SQL is sooooooo much easier. The way Access puts together queries is pure [censored] to read. I do everything to defeat it and spend most of my time writing queries in Notepad.
I've written a lot of "how to" manuals for industry and two for Trade. The last one was as part of the team that put Wrox Professional ColdFusion 5.0 together. While this is neither here nor there, I have not found one book that explains what one needs to know (although Book 2 comes the closest). None of the books provide simple reference material. I do have a quick reference guide that uses nomenclature that is incomprehensible. As for Access' help, forgetaboutit.
The bottom line? If you need to learn Access on your own, be prepared to buy a lot of books.

From petercowan:
I'm using "Running Microsoft Access 2000" by John Viescas and published by Microsoft, and find the level quite good - because it contains the basics as well as some of the advanced stuff.

Quite expensive, though at £32.99.

What I really need is a reference book that shows the syntax of each Visual Basic command - what order the parameters come in, how many commas to insert etc. It's good that the VBasic editor at least prompts you with this kind of info - otherwise it's hard to find.

This Website, however, seems to be the total answer!!
Go to the top of the page

arivr
post Jul 13 2004, 06:45 AM
Post#2

I have read Alison Blter's Mastering Access 97 Development. Second Edition.
Found it Very Useful.

genesis
post Nov 10 2004, 07:43 AM
Post#3

Access Bible 2000 very good
Orecommended AAA+++
arlos

MrSiezen
post Mar 17 2005, 04:21 AM
Post#4

Okay,
just got permission to buy one of these guides for Access. I'm quite good with the interface of Access, and can do pretty much with it. Made a CRM, and a database system for a 6 person call center. Not highly sophisticated, but it does what it has to do. All build wothout using any VBA-coding.

Now I'm experiencing more and more problems because of my puny VBA-knowledge. So I want to buy a book which helps me with this, in an access-orientated way of course...

Which book suits the best for me? I thinking of the Access 2000 Bible...

khaos
post Mar 17 2005, 09:28 AM
Post#5

Retired Moderator

If you want to learn more vba as it relates to Access I recommend this one'
ccess 2000 Developer:
Provides a two volume set designed to offer solutions to real-world challenges. Provides expert instruction, focusing on advanced access techniques.
over the Access Bible. The Acc Bible is a good book but may not be what you want. The Access Developer books are written by top experts in the field of Access and are very good books. If you can't find the 2000 version just buy the 2002. There were very few additions to 2002. In general most access vb applies to any version 97 or newer. And the big changes from 97 to 2000 will still be in this book.
HTH
Ken

Humpty
post Mar 17 2005, 10:40 AM
Post#6

I'd recommend the Access 2000 Developer as well. If you are new to programming then I would also recommend Access 2000 VBA by Sussman and Smith as this gives a superb intro to access VBA.

_pace_
post Jul 18 2005, 10:26 PM
Post#7

one word here... Sybex laugh.gif

bakersburg9
post Jan 3 2006, 11:07 AM
Post#8

pace,
id you mean Sybase or Sybex (empires,etc.)
????

caprideveloper
post Apr 30 2006, 01:10 PM
Post#9

Hi there
This web site is good for learning vba http://www.functionx.com/vbaccess/index.htm good , it gives the basic foundation also Microsoft VBA professional projects by Taruna Goel and Rachna Chaudhary is a good reference book....
Many Thanks
capri

Nurieko101
post May 16 2006, 04:11 AM
Post#10

Hi there
recommend the Access Developer 2000. you can also have more reading material and sample cdes from the help in the Ms Access

CharlieTNH
post Mar 10 2008, 03:14 PM
Post#11

First off, I'd suggest you focus on learning the Basic language (Visual basic or even plain ol Basic) because most of what we do - the tips & tricks of programming in VBA - are drawn from solid experience in general programming. Studying how to accomplish specific things in VBA will be quite difficult if you don't have general programming background. If you do - working with VBA will be quite straightforward. A lot of what we do are If-Then - Do While (IIF.....) type stuff - common to most high level languages. String functions, data type conversions etc are a big part of what you have to do in code.

ben2203
post Jan 29 2010, 06:56 AM
Post#12

I've got the 2003 addition (developers), pretty good but a hefty read

gemmathehusky
post May 18 2011, 08:11 AM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

Alison Balter is my favourite general purpose manual
My favorite book is without doubt Access Cookbook (O'Reilly) - Getz/Litwin/Baron
Invaluable.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 12:33 PM