UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommended Reading Access 97    

ghubbell
post Jun 5 2003, 08:14 PM
Post#1

UA Administrator

Access 97 Developers Handbook:
Here's the book the Access community relies on! Packed with tips, tricks, secrets, undocumented features, and tons of reusable source code, this indispensable guide is your ticket to developing bulletproof applications. Learn how to build more efficient databases, design better user interfaces, develop client/server applications, and plan for interoperability. The companion CD includes all examples from the book, a library of reusable code, ready-to-use subroutines and user-interface objects, and great freeware and shareware utilities.

New Perspectives on Microsoft Access 97 Comprehensive -- Enhanced:
Part of the New Perspectives series, this text offers a case-based, problem-solving approach for learning basic to more advanced features of Microsoft Access 97.

Please feel free to post your reviews of any of the mentioned reading and please recommend any other material you have found helpful!

From Sharad:
I have the Bible for 97. I like it a lot. Too bulky but covers all the topics in simple fashion. Maybe I will try the Developers Handbook.

From geilsc:
For completeness of the whole process from db design to ODBC connectivity and everything in between its hard to beat Stan Leszynski 's "Access 97 Expert Solutions", he really is Stan The Man. For detailed programming I love F. Scott Barker - "Access 97 Power Programming". His code is tight and very well annotated.

From ghaynes:
I also really like F. Scott Barker books. Very knowledgeable. I'll check out ghubbell picks.

From DBPro:
Access Cookbook from O'Reilly a must buy. Authors: Ken Getz, Paul Litwin and Andy Baron

Here's a great book filled with ready to use code. Formatted in a Problem/Solution/Discussion layout, you can go directly to a problem you may have encounterd and this book will give you an example of how to solve it. The preface has a synopsis of what each of the 14 chapters covers. Ch 5 is aimed directly to Access 2002 and working with the Printer Object. *sigh* Still stuck in the 90s for me.
Covers Access versions 97-2002. The CD has the solutions in Access 2000+ format, but you can go to the website and download a .ZIP file for Access 97.
Designed for all levels of users: end users, power users, and developers.

From swua
I'll second that on Stan Leszynski's Access 97 Expert Solutions - it really has a great range of material, and has intelligent discussion regarding the development life cycle, design specs, naming convetions, etc. My copy is the most dog-eared Access book I've got. This ain't no manual rehash.
.. and I'll second that on the Access Cookbook. Practical solutions for wide range of commonly encountered challenges. BTW, second edition is due out any week.
Go to the top of the page

gkaste
post Jun 18 2004, 08:48 AM
Post#2

Thank you for some reccomendations. I have been looking for a good access 97 book. The one I have is only a quick refrence book, so it doesnt do me a lot of good. Dosent even touch on coding.
just ordered the Access 97 Developers Handbook for only $7 shipped (used) on amazon.com!

Aquadevel
post Mar 30 2006, 01:38 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

gk,
With Access 12 soon to come out, wouldn't it be 'better' to spend the $$$'s on more recent version?
Just wondering here. Welp, $7 is not bad tho' frown.gif
Aqua

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 05:51 AM