UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Do You Use Microsoft Access For?    

ghubbell
post Jan 29 2004, 10:49 AM
Post#1

UA Administrator

If you could, please let me know here, what you do with Microsoft Access.
Perhaps the version and the number of users? I'm curious to know how many of you are using say, the XML or 'data access pages', 'Macros', and so on.
Is Access for a business or for fun or ???
How do you see Access and its evolution - where it has come from and where it's going?
No real, real specifics please, unless you feel what you write is not sensitive to you & or your employer.
Thanks a bunch,
Gord Hubbell
Webmaster, www.UtterAccess.com
This is by no means a scientific survey or would it be treated as such - I'm just trying to come to grips with these current issues with the 2003 version, and how it may benefit / detriment you and I here at UtterAccess.
Go to the top of the page

BrianS
post Jan 29 2004, 11:17 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Use - I develop small to mid level applications for intra-departmental use
Version(s) - 97, XP
Users - I manage approx 5 systems with combined user base of around 50
Functionality I Use - Basic toolset, Basic Objects, nothing fancy
Access Evolution - Access has come from a small desktop relational database to a near client/server development environment. I see MS keeping it around for the years to come depending on the success of 2003. I see MS already trying to de-emphasize it use and importance in efforts for people to jump on board with SQL Server and VS.Net.

erlybird
post Jan 29 2004, 11:18 AM
Post#3

I have been in a love/hate relationship with Access for many years. I think that needs no explanation. The long and the short of it is that I would not have a career were it not for MS Access. It has led me to all other aspects of my techical career. I have been a trainer and developer. Sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both. I have lost hours of work due to "glitches" and I have seen its true glory. I have struggled with normalization and I have created my own ActiveX controls. But when you get right down to it MS Access changed the world. I am living proof.
ome good insight on a possible future for Access can be read here: Ken Getz Article

LeeD
post Jan 29 2004, 11:35 AM
Post#4

My company uses Access to process data for variable data driven direct mail. Baically we get a mail list and a list of goodies for different groups in the mail list. We utilize Access queries to update who gets what.

Andromeda
post Jan 29 2004, 11:37 AM
Post#5

I use access for business purposes... mostly creating intermediary databases for the gray areas between two other software programs (which two depends on what department in my company we're talking about). I tend to stick to the basics when it comes to tools and objects, but I am attempting to dabble a bit in data access pages which I'm hoping will make it much easier to update my company's intranet. (Key word being "hope" tongue.gif )
bought a new computer yesterday (due to accidentally setting my old one on fire tuesday night... crazy.gif ) and it came with a trial version of office 2003. It actually has quite a fantastic layout, but surprisingly there was no Access included. Now, I understand it was a trial and all, but usually when they include a trial of ms office on a new computer, they put all progs on it so you can test everything and buy more. I've heard people speak of the "de-emphasis" (to quote uno) and never really gave it much thought, but now I can't help but wonder if that's why they left it out.

Scomac
post Jan 29 2004, 12:20 PM
Post#6

I have used Access as an MIS reporting front end to an oracle db - to store absence turnover adhoc reporting-and to run various monthly reports, for example the Oracle Discoverer (Frontend tool for Oracledb) application took 1 hour to run the complete month absence for a particular month where as a direct connection to the oracle tables from access was instant.
nother Db produced upto 200 daily statistical reports on the Mortgage Book of a financial company i worked for providing Daily Performance Statistics for upto 400 mortgage advisors.
a backend for a phonebook contact list utilising ASP on our Intranet Site
another absence recording DB in the current job
Oalso have my (gaming)Clan Forums and Clan data running with access and asp on the web(as its small i would post the link but seeing as its my own web sevrer i dont want joe public to find it unless necesary tongue.gif )
But my main period of using it was when i was connecting to Oracle and that was a couple of years ago :((

AAARGH
post Jan 29 2004, 12:25 PM
Post#7

Utterly Centered !

Business purposes.
He use it here because our central IT folks are too slow and costly. For our division to get anything done quickly, we use Access.
Odon't see Access ever being an enterprise database (back end). That is, I wouldn't use it for apps with over 10 simultaneous users. It's just not that robust. Yes it has improved greatly, but it's still no match for Oracle, etc...
I'm not too familiar with the newer versions and how they act as a front end, so I can't speak to that.
For the lower end of the database spectrum, it's awesome. Anyone with programming skills (or aptitude) can become proficient pretty quickly, and 'professional' in a matter of months.

command_Z
post Jan 29 2004, 12:30 PM
Post#8

Tracking production cycle times thru barcode scanning. Creating production schedules based on the barcode times. Enables company wide, real time, production status of current work in progress. All told, around 150 users.

AJS
post Jan 29 2004, 12:42 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Business. I work for an insurance company. We use Access to process and analyze information on a broad level. Most of my databases have little to no data input from users, as we download and import all our data from the mainframe.
any of our databases are pushing the envelope of what Access can handle in terms of size -- nearing the 2 Gig limit and with hundreds of thousands of records. Four or five simultaneous users is about the most we see.
Macros are evil, we have no use for Data Access Pages, and XML is just letters to me -- I haven't taken the time to learn anything about it.
I'd like to see a better query design interface -- like the one in SQL server. We've found the improved PivotChart support useful, though.

zaneberry
post Jan 29 2004, 01:02 PM
Post#10

All of the databases that I have developed for my company are used in the QA process. Calibration, training, Lab, etc... Being a pharmaceutical company we have to have good security and audit trails to keep everything in compliance. We don't use any macros, as I feel that they are too difficult to validate. Oh, and everything is done in A2K. We will soon be converting all of this to an SQL Server backend and possibly VB.NET frontends.
I have recently started using Access at home to develop a Home Inventory DB for insurance purposes. Have to have a record of everything that I lose in a fire/theft/etc. Figure a DB and digital pictures are the best way to go.
Zane

tiggerjohnson
post Jan 29 2004, 01:18 PM
Post#11

I use Access 2000 to Data where house, automatically collect data, automatically distribute front end forms which users can use to get their own reports from the data, and on occasion use that data to create short term custom reports on a case by case basis.
Also, used for customer contact tracking, automatic mailer printings, and inventory tracking.

tiggerjohnson
post Jan 29 2004, 01:30 PM
Post#12

Hey...I would like to see that one day if it is no trouble.
ounds like a great idea!

DB2ME
post Jan 29 2004, 02:56 PM
Post#13

VIP Emeritus

I started using Access in May 2003 when I was hired by a company to make a database. It was my first database ever and I used Access 2k. The database was supposed to be used by roughly 100 people. However, I left the company after designing it and since then, my sources tell me that nobody there has used it. At that place, nobody really wants to learn new things and nobody wants to do data entry. Oh well. That doesn't classify as an "M.P." in my book.
Now I use Access at my current job for keeping inventory of all our computers as well as supporting some Access questions on the random databases that my users have. However, at my current place of employment, there is someone who is in charge of the database end of things so I don't have too much involvement with it here.
Oalso have been known to use Access to help some people on UA wink.gif

Cheers!
Edited by: DB2ME on 01.29.04.

mvos
post Jan 29 2004, 03:21 PM
Post#14

Utterly Certified UA VIP

Working for a printer I wrote our Management Information System when we were unable to find a suitable commercial application. Runs all aspects of the company except for Accounts.
urrently approx 40 users using A97 frontends with A97 backend.
Now due for a complete re-write, hence my post in the Project Postings forum. I envisage staying with Access front end with SQL server backend.

ALaRiva
post Jan 29 2004, 03:28 PM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

Have used it for various Business and Personal Things.
When I was in High School and was a PC Tech for the School, I created Help Desk Applications so that Teachers could type in their request and it would be processed by my 2 runners. Towards the end I also established an Automatic Response Suggestion so that it would take the Teachers complaint and run it through the system for similar complaints, match them up, and offer multiple suggestions. If suggestions were offered, then the Ticket was placed on Hold for a day to give the teachers time to try the suggestions, if no response was sent in by the teacher, then the runners would go out and take a look.
Eventually, I had to go through all Class Rooms, Storage Rooms, Etc. and create an Inventory Database because we were in the midst of trying to get an Elusive T1 installed, but had to do alot for it.
I've also used it in a Call Center where it was used as the main Management tool (in conjunction with a system that was already established for the Operator and Call Statistics) - The Application managed Attendance, Corrective Actions, Interactions with Employees, Etc. The system was fully automated to created and inform management of employees who had gone over a specific absence amount and required corrective action or termination. Daily Attendance Reports and other confidential reports were send to each individual Manager as well as the Call Center Manager.
This Application had much more, but I'm unable to comment on those.
I've also used it to create a Banking System for my wife to use to manage our finances. It tracks Bills, payments, Bank Account Totals, Etc. - I'm too cheap to buy something like Quickbooks - LOL
I've also created a Properties Management Application, as well as numerous other applications of various types.
The options are endless with Access and I will also love it for what it has done for my life. I'm 22 years old, earning a hefty wage (doing Web Development and some Access Development "Director of IT") I've been able to move easily into other development languages and owe it all to Access.
Just my little (LOL) story.
BTW - uarulez2.gif

BrianS
post Jan 29 2004, 03:43 PM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

Wow Anthony, I thought I was the youngest VIP, you got me beat by a year. I think Nate is somewhere close too.

mvos
post Jan 29 2004, 03:45 PM
Post#17

Utterly Certified UA VIP

Now that's upset me, I'm older than your ages combined :(

ALaRiva
post Jan 29 2004, 04:00 PM
Post#18

UtterAccess VIP

Shhhh . . . Ya tell them we are young and they won't listen to us
Learned that the hard way during a Week Long Training Course in which one of the students asked my age and without thought told him, He was 2.5 times my age and did not listen to a word I said after that. I had to "talk" to him 6 times before the end of the course.
MVOS - Just think of it as you have twice the knowledge of both of us!!!

JoeFabulouz
post Jan 29 2004, 04:20 PM
Post#19

A2K2 with PF3.2 (Pendragon Forms) and Palm VIIx's for mobile data gatering, wireless e-mailing of info (when needed) back to the office, transfer of data into database when synced, which is then available to other departments when needed. Process replaced data collection via paper forms & distribution via copy machine & fax.

lawmart
post Jan 29 2004, 04:34 PM
Post#20

UtterAccess VIP

I have been using Access for around three years.
The first 2 of which I used it almost exclusively for running queries
and developing reports etc. I was the sole user and did not have a need to create
a user interface of any kind. I relied heavily on macros because I could get tasks
done without knowing any code.
On the last year or so I have done much more in the way of App design and programming.
Ocannot remember the last time I used a Macro for anything.
My company makes optical interference filters and I have developed dbs to track
inventory, gather and report on quality, track turnaround of quotes, sales orders
and various other clerical and technical tasks.
I currently administer 6 ro 7 databases with about 35 users in all.
We are in the process of writing an ERP system using SQL2000 backend
and a VB6 front end.
I think that Access is a very good product in its class and I enjoy working with it
very much.

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 12:16 AM