UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  (Go to first unread post)
   Closed TopicStart new topic
> What do you use Microsoft Access for?    

hokie1
post Jul 15 2010, 02:56 PM
Post#141

I work for a government agency. Have worked with ACCESS here for over 10 years. Other places, added to that elapsed time.
My applications here are:
HAs a front-end tool to access PeopleSoft data for highly customized reporting.
To serve as a conduit between my agency and FEMA during the Application-to-FEMA process for disaster recovery funds after Hurricane IKE.
To be the back-end data base data collector for several FrontPage-based web sites.
There are others but these are the most interesting ones.
Go to the top of the page

skonchady
post Aug 8 2010, 07:46 AM
Post#142

HAZOP database management and reports for process plants
I use Microsoft Access for HAZOP reviews of process plants. It has been very useful in identifying safety and operator issues which need to be addressed.
CAn actionable points report can be generated to facilitate action as well as make updates as actions are completed.
Sadananda Konchady

Cwittmaack
post Nov 23 2010, 03:58 PM
Post#143

I started out using Dbase III and have started using Access 2003 to build some databases for my work
I have a database that keeps track of accounts, customers, which in turn calcluates daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly reports as well as keeping track of YTD on each report for each customer.
2nd database is used to preform the calculationd for out sale's department for each quarter.
3rd database that tracks all the movement of our accounts.
I am now just starting to look and play with access 2010, which is i think is access 2007 still i have been told. I hope to learn as musch as possable about it.

likajoho
post Jan 15 2011, 10:23 AM
Post#144

This keeps popping up under "My Discussions" even though I've never "discussed" it. So I thought I would answer it, even though it's an old discussion.
I am constantly thinking of things to use a database for, even though I don't always follow through for lack of time. Actually, just about any time I make a worksheet of more than a few simple lines and formulas I question whether or not it would be better done in a database. If I had a simpler database like Q&A (created by Symantec and then dropped--which probably none of you ever heard about) I would do more things in a database, as it makes sense to protect the data you enter and be able to view it in multiple ways without reinventing the wheel every time you use it.
THere are databases I am using right now or have recently:
Contact database for my clients
(a database allows me to record mutiple addresses, email, phones, notes, receipts, contacts, correspondence, etc.)
(use for producing invoices, receipts, mailing lists, reports, info request letters, and Ethics reporting)
Work log (tracking hours and work done for each client for billing)
Auto Log (tracking miles driven for work, medical, charity for tax returns)
Contact database for our family
Remember (a list of things I want to remember, such as gift ideas, shopping ideas, little bits of info people tell me that I might want to know later)
Indexing (I use for indexing historical documents or other sources for family research and posting on family research sites)
(I have indexed cemetery records and markers, courthouse records, books, and short works)
Stuff (inventorying and explaining possessions--especially family heirlooms)
Things I have taken a stab at or thought about developing into a database recently, if it weren't so time-consuming, tedious, or downright complicated:
Tax Workbook (currently in Excel with multiple worksheets interlinked)
Citing Helper (currently using Excel to produce Footnotes, shortened footnotes, and Bibliographies for citing family research sources)
Contact list for our church (they currently have it in tables in a text document)
Calendar for a non-profit (to more easily produce lists and different types of calendars showing different groups of events--meetings, classes, workshops, social events--without re-entering by hand)
Gardening (track where and when stuff is planted and results--such as whether or not a plant was what I wanted or would want to plant again in the future)
Finances (I am frustrated with my current software's lack of options and need for a separate contact database as well as disgusted with the cost of upgrading every year or so)
Things I used a database for in the past:
Library
Working Contact/Financial database (used data periodically refreshed from another database that was not flexible enough to do what I wanted to do to create lists and audit data)
Auditing database (linked to a copy of an online database to more easily filter and sort records for auditing in preparation for preparing Ethics reports and reconciling)
Matching Funds Editing Database (linked to a copy of an online database to check for compliant and non-compliant reporting information and to modify as needed)
Matching Funds Correspondence Database
(linked to a copy of an online database for the purpose of producing various letters to address non-compliance issues regarding matching funds for a presidential campaign)
Mailing Lists
Compliance Dates (tracking various dates related to compliance by various regulatory agencies for various types of clients)
(at one time I had 7 clients that were each a different type of committee and each with different reporting requirements)
Termination Database (for analyzing and reporting on specific receipts, disbursements, receivables, and payables and printing on preprinted forms in compliance with FEC termination regulations)
Personnel Database (for tracking, analying and espcially reporting on payment to employees and contractors)
Oalso at times create a temporary database for manipulating data, standardizing data, etc. for another database or list.

Teatime
post May 18 2011, 05:51 PM
Post#145

Reading all this I really feel like the odd duck in the pond (but I didn't expect otherwise) since I use Access only privately.
It started quite a number of years ago in an attempt to keep track of my growing collections of movies, CDs and comics that I started dabbling with databases. After some babysteps in Works (yeah, let's not talk about that) I moved to Access. And over time building and evolving databases for my hobbies has become kind of a hobby for itself <
Since I'm self-taught (via a few books and a lot of consulting sites like these, or the good old ms newsgroups) my knowledge is all over the place and highly uneven; also since I don't work on databases constantly I tend to forget things and have to relearn them. Not too rare that I stumble upon some piece of code and wonder "what the [censored] have I done here?".
But for an amateur I'm quite proud of some of my work, though I'm quite sure that you professionals would probably just laugh on my crappy coding (or throw you hands up in terror <).
(And I always in awe - also sometimes terrified - reading many of the posts realizing how little I really know and how patchy my knowledge is)
Still, a lot of what little I know I owe to people like you here who offer a lot of advice, help and information to others. For that I thank you!
Thomas

jleach
post May 19 2011, 04:20 AM
Post#146

UtterAccess Editor

My first use in Access was really just because I needed a programming language and it had an easy form design interface. I had never done any computer programming before that and didn't even know what a database really was. I stumbled across Access and had a revelation: this is cool, I can do lotsa stuff with this!.
The task was to take some machining language (called G-Code, a line by line language that tells machines what to cut and where), read each line from a file, convert the GCodes to a format readable by a different machine, and then post it back out in another file. It was an extremely fun project and a great way to learn VBA. And Access had these things called "tables" that I could use to store the info in while doing the conversion. How handy is that? (to this day, several years later, this remains one of the most effective and cost-saving applications that our company uses!).
I was pretty much hooked on Access at that point, and since then our entire software management system has been replaced and expanded using a custom Access solution. Developing a full blown manufacturing software covers a lot of areas, so over the few years it took me I was able to really stretch my horizons.
Besides the work related stuff, I use Access to track aviation data, including aircraft and airport properties, wieght and balance calculators, flight plan information, gas/time calculators, log book entries, etc. etc. Also related is weather tracking - I use Access to collect and store wx information from certain stations for analyzation.
I've also create a media handling database, but this isn't nearly as robust. Earlier version of Access at least are not really primed for this type of work. Although I was able to efficiently tag and organize various media, viewing and playback was not optimal. I suspect 2010 might provide a much nicer interface for this type of work though.
There's countless other small utilities I've created with Access, some data driven and some just to have a simple vb/forms host with no data.
Cheers,

tankerman
post May 19 2011, 01:55 PM
Post#147

I have used Access for about 4 years now, I have NO formal training on Access and had to learn everything on the fly. I started useing MS Access help site (before it changed) then went to here and Yahoo group.
The help I've gotten has been remarkable. I have found myself coming here less lately, I guess I'm starting to learn something.
I use Access to track our barge movement, tank movements as well as emp OT and warehouse movements. I did not know how much easier life could with Access but the frustractions of getting it to work.

blobbles78
post May 31 2011, 06:45 PM
Post#148

Databases.
Ha haa, sorry, couldn't resist!
I have used access for:
Recruitment
Client Management
Business readiness
Simple inventory management

BillR
post Aug 26 2011, 04:56 PM
Post#149

Contact and call management for a medical device manufacturer. I started using Access around 2003 after getting promoted to a service manager position. I was shocked to learn that my predecessor really had no system in place to analyze department metrics. However, I have to say that I use it primarily as a "place holder" for data, with little by way of calculation. Calculations are normally done by exporting the data into Excel. Overall, Access has been very useful to me. In comparison with other "canned" databases I've been forced to use in various companies, I find that I can customize Access to get exactly the data I need to track, without having to beg Management to buy additional packages. I also want to thank the people on this site for their kind help when I'm stuck!

Gawayne
post Dec 28 2011, 12:05 PM
Post#150

I received training in MS Access several years ago, but haven't used it much. At work, I am a user of several Access "front end" applications that aggregate data for us. I was referred to this site by the co-worker who has written these front ends.
It home, I aspire to develop a database to help my wife do her ordering work for the food co-op she is in. While it's been a long time, I was a programmer for a couple of years before I moved to my current employer.
Oexpect that I'll find plenty of information here.

tina t
post Dec 28 2011, 01:53 PM
Post#151

i use Access (A97, can you believe it?!) a lot in my job. i'm the dept clerk for a dept that acts as kind of a "clearinghouse" for other depts. a lot of work runs through our dept, in getting from point A to point C. which means that a lot of paper and electronic (mainly paper) data passes through my hands every day. when i was hired, much of the work for my position was performed, and records kept, on paper and in Excel. ye gods, what a mess! i've been slowly moving most of that into various Access databases. in several cases, the best way to get the paper off my desk was to stop it at the source, so i found myself writing Access applications for folks in other depts, usually with a flow through to my dept, and often onward to other depts. and i've implemented a lot of data-sharing applications, where my dept is responsible for data collection/storage, but other depts frequently request information from us. i have a common frontend in place on nearly every PC in the (small) company, with forms to front the linked tables from 20-odd different backends - providing read-only views in most instances, but data entry in some cases. access to various groups of the FE forms is controlled by a machine-driven main menu. sounds strange, probably, but many of the PCs in the company are "public", available to be used by various people who walk up to them - kind of like open kiosks, i guess. so the common fe displays a main menu that provides various options based on what PC the db is opened on, rather than being based on which particular person is opening it. and then there are a few dbs with separate FEs that are password protected, and available on only a few particular users' PCs. and then again, a few separate FEs that are available on public PCs, but can only be used by users that have their own individual passwords.
It home, i don't use Access much for my own purposes, actually. when i do, i use A2003. i wrote a simple checkbook register, so i wouldn't have to keep getting paper ones from the bank - i do a lot more paying with an atm card than with paper checks, and kept using up the paper registers long before i used up my checks! nowadays, of course, i hardly ever write a paper check - i just use bill pay to have my bank write/send it! <g> and, let's see, i wrote a book log to keep track of my books - both purchased and "wish list" - and ditto a "movies" log for my videos and dvds. that's about it.

mizutaifux
post Oct 23 2012, 02:25 PM
Post#152

I develop in ms-access since version 97 for win 311.
Normally I use MS-ACCESS to medium projects in consultancy work.
I have projects in several versions.
There is more productive tool for database that MS-ACCESS.

babikirua
post Feb 5 2013, 12:59 AM
Post#153

I use it for registering and tracking correspondence and translation work of our company.

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 07:25 PM