UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   (Go to first unread post)
   Closed TopicStart new topic
> What do you use Microsoft Access for?    

aryder
post Feb 7 2004, 08:40 PM
Post#21

I originally used Access to set my mother's business up to track her clients' birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Then when I opened my own business, I set it up to track all my clients, do my billing, and keep track of my tax deductions, etc. Then I set one up to track my family tax deductions. Since then, I've had friends ask me to do different ones for them. I wrote one for an auction house and am currently writing one for a friend who sells on Ebay.
haven't done anything with data access pages. I quit using Access macros after the first one for my mother. I like to code as much as possible. One, it helps me grow and learn and, two, it lets me understand exactly what's happening at any given moment.
Angie
Go to the top of the page

Lemonstar
post Feb 11 2004, 11:42 AM
Post#22

I work for a Highway Dept and use Access for the following. I have learned databases trial and error since the early 90's with limited time for learning. I started out with Paradox (DOS version) and switched to Access/Windows environment. I realize I'm not accomplished when I see the knowledge on this board but I have learned enough to greatly improve work efficiency in many small work areas within the department compared to systems that were used previously, either on a spreadsheet, word processor or old DOS program.
Processing of FEMA Events for Disaster Damage
-Maintaining Roadway History Files
-Tracking progress of various permit requirements for building bridges
-Encroachment Permits, Emergency Authorizations, Bonds
-Research Projects
-Various Correspondence tracking/deadlines
-Citizen's Request for Assistance
-Training
-Summer Employee Records
Utter Access has increased my ability to learn much more quickly because of the quality help that I receive when I post a question which prevents me from having to dig through tons of books and help screens that may or may not lead me to the answer. Thanks to everyone of you!!!

Bucephalus
post Feb 11 2004, 02:58 PM
Post#23

I use Access in HR for everything and all are used on a local area network (LAN), some by people around the world. (Slow)
I have a training matrix DB for 800+ emps
I have Symbol# request DB to speed up the new product process and orders.
I have a retired Attendance DB, KRONOS took over.
I have a shortage DB for Buyers and Supers to communicate shortages quickly
I built a Parking lot DB for tracking license and # tags
I maintain a Six Sigma db for tracking waste %
Discipline Log
Job Bid posting DB
I use Access for everything!
Using quick-load tables for repetitive data, you can't beat Access.
I love this software, you learn something new everyday! And hats off to Utter Access, it's been an big help!

chemist
post Feb 13 2004, 11:54 AM
Post#24

I am using Microsoft Access as a front for information coming out of an AS/400 system. Currently I am working toward developing a scheduling system for a textile manufacturing plant. smirk.gif

houseofharman
post Feb 13 2004, 01:02 PM
Post#25

We use Microsoft Access to monitor workload and as a tracking system for paperwork. We generate monthly reports that are part of a balanced scorecard system which monitors effectiveness and efficiency of our office. Our accountants use it to track what reports are due when and as an invoicing system.

LakeGator
post Feb 13 2004, 01:34 PM
Post#26

UtterAccess VIP

This brings back great memories. In 1972, I worked on a team that developed a labor scheduling for a textile plant in Greenville, South Carolina. This application was in FORTRAN on an IBM 370/165.
The most exciting part of the application was handling the days when daylight savings time went into effect. People had to be scheduled for two consectutive (but different) 2 AM hours.
Have fun!!

ChristineInDC
post Feb 13 2004, 05:35 PM
Post#27

At work I manage a basic association management database (contacts, events, orders, etc.) and a fundraising database, both in Access 2000. Also, I use Access-based statistical software called EpiInfo (http://www.cdc.gov/epiinfo/) at work, so I have a variety of Access files that store survey data. I use Access to build any created/recoded variables needed, and then can use EpiInfo to run crosstabs and perform statistical tests.
It home I have a database of my books (what I own, what I've read, what I'd like to buy, etc.) and I'm strongly considering building a recipe database.
-Christine

MrJaven
post Feb 14 2004, 10:11 PM
Post#28

I am curantly using it to build a network administration tool box that tracks eatch (administrative)users actions and to stock pile any and all scripts and other tools used with command line options used by the user so we can track and repeate anything we do that fixes a problem so that we can all become fat and lazy over time
oto: if your IT staff works hard somthing is not working well

faragher
post Feb 16 2004, 11:54 AM
Post#29

Uses so far:
ommission tracker - records sales and calculates commission, produces statements etc
Billing/Payroll system - Proud of this one, but still being developed - takes the 2000+ seperate jobs done by 50+ staff for 75+ clients monthly and whups it into some sort of order
Bill of Materials system, linked to Sage Line 100 - my head still hurts when I think of this one - recursive calculations are scary!
And some other bits and pieces...
Thinking about Access and the Web / the connected office / the great big WiFi Broadband super-duper web etc etc. This really discounts small business applications. The business I help run only has one computer, we use it to type letters, send emails and do billing and payroll. Thats it. We don't need two, we don't need to communicate with our Hong Kong office over the 'net - because we haven't got one (this is a local business, for local people).
Microsoft seem to be in risk of concentrating on SME upwards, missing a huge and luctrative market that requires very simple and easy to use solutions to everyday tasks - this was the computer revolution we were promised! I love XP because it's comparatively stable and my mother-in-law can use it, and I don't want the water to be muddied with additional options and connectivity.
Seem to have started ranting
jf

EAllen
post Feb 24 2004, 05:02 PM
Post#30

Just discovered this site; looks like a great resource.
I use Access 2000 at work to track and apply costing information products our company buys and sells.
Product is bought, processed and sold all withing the same database. Using complex forms.
Opposite of 'chemist' above, my reports output information to our company's AS/400 accounting system. My DB has just about reached the limits of what the version I use can do. So I look forward to learning about some of the new improvements/changes.

kukui
post Mar 20 2004, 02:59 PM
Post#31

During the day I work at an environmental testing laboratory. Our Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) was built using Access 97. We store all the data of a sample that comes into our facility, in our LIMS. Physical description of the sample, when it was samples/received, types tests to be performed, and the results of the tests. We also use it for generating paper and electronic reports. The electronic reports are anything from a simple CSV file to a multi-file sample and result coded nightmare. Access has made development of the electronic reports much easier.
It night I teach ballroom dance. They have been using paper records for everything and want to try and put together an application that will house all the information. Teachers and student information (not so hard), scheduling of lessons (not bad but formatting the displayed schedule will be a challenge), and finical data including payroll. So if anyone has any suggestions, please send them.
This forum is great, keep up the great work.

jujutsumaster
post Mar 29 2004, 09:58 AM
Post#32

First had a dabble with access about 7/8 years ago and seemed to pick it the basics fairly quickly but didn't have much need to develop applications. Since becomming performance improvement manager for my local authority in UK saw the need to reduce paper chases, improve efficiency in specific areas and provide connectivity between departments and produce corporate management reports.
But of exasperation developed a corporate performance management system to collate performance statistics and provide a monthly monitoring and reporting framework. Recognised by a national agency as excellence in local government (this one .
Also a db to track important enquiries/correspondence, setting target times dependant on nature of enquiry. Allows transferability of ownership between departments and corporate reporting and stats.
Corporate absence monitoring db with full stats analysis.
Desk top timesheet system for a department required to recharge external agencies for work done based on hourly rates of employees
One or two other statistical and tracking dbs where inputs are gathered from several departments.

JVanKirk
post Apr 15 2004, 09:14 PM
Post#33

UtterAccess VIP

I created my first db with Access 2.0 in 94. I made a Work orders/Customer Service db on an old 386 box. I had to remove all other office suite products just for te ting to be somewat efficient. I ave dabbled with it ever since, and am addicted to Access. I am self taught so there are things to learn yet, I just recently started really getting involved in the VBA side of it and WOW. My biggest project to date was a db I started to repair then realized it just plain needed rebuilt. The directorate I was in was going to pay inthe neighborhood of $20,000 for someone to come and repair it. Wen I saw what they needed I volunteered to take it on. Too bad I couldn't have made some of that money but when you're in the Army you get paid the same no matter what you do. But it was a great learning experience. It tracks around 500 copiers, payments and adjustments, amount of copies made and amount exceeded the contract etc etc. Recently I created a Tasking/Work Order db for my current unit. I am about to create a solutions db over the next few weeks which will allow us to record fixes to differant problems and refer to them quickly in the future.
This site has been an incredible help at getting me where I am now in my Access abilities. I thought I was pretty darn good till I logged on here and realized I was at the tip of the iceberg. Now I am a little further along, hopefully will be back to feeling good about my abilities in a few more months of reading Rick Hicks and Jacks and everyone else's posts. Keep them coming, I am taking it all in and db'ing it my master db(the noggin).
Jason

MJohnson
post Apr 21 2004, 11:27 AM
Post#34

I've returned to a previous hobby - sewing - and am attempting to use Access to build a database of all my fabrics with a picture as well as other pertinent information like quantity on hand. Wish me luck!
Mary

post Apr 22 2004, 01:03 PM
Post#35

I started to learn ACCESS one year ago to track contact data for data calls. The Region directorate never wants the same data in the same manner twice.
Olearned everything the hard way. Now I am struggling to develop data collection system for the other 30 staff members in the center. I feel like a retard when I can't get the data to do what I want.
Otherwise it has really freeded me from getting harrassed over monthly or quarterly reports.
How if I can just figure out how...

sstaccess
post Apr 22 2004, 01:43 PM
Post#36

I am trying to teach myself Access 97 at work by using wizards and design view. I have been working at it for 2 years. At work, I have databases on the intranet to track inventory, customer drawing library, changes to internal procedures in the Document Control area. The hardware calibration recall system is controlled by a db, also the vendor rating system and various tracking logs.
It home, I am just starting to use Access 2000 and have created a home inventory db to collect data on what is in the house and save to CD for offsite storage in case of disaster (fire, flood, etc.).
I am new to this site and hope to learn more about Access by finding solutions to my problems here and by reading the problems of others and how those problems are resolved.

popsdrown
post Apr 22 2004, 08:59 PM
Post#37

I used Access 97 to collect and cleanse manufacturing data - spares, supplies, vendors - for 6 manufacturing plants and then created output files to load into SAP. I wrote another application for a telephone reservation center to book public tours for a new LDS Temple. It handled over 275,000 entries. Now I am supporting an application in Access 2002 that supports an antique business with a data feed from eBay.
ove Access!

treeless
post Apr 30 2004, 10:06 PM
Post#38

I started way back in Access 95. Developed a database for the wife's greeting card company.
When there was a problem at work. We got a 5-channel trunked radio system at two sites, and the Govenment wanted annual utilization reports, by channel, by site. The problem was the system only put out flat file ascci reports (1 report per day, per site), so someone was assigned to go through a print out and add up all the transmissions and busies, by channel, by site. I developed a database that imported the basic data from the flat files, by site, channel, time, whether it was a call or busy, and the duration in a table, then generate the reports needed. Not only did this get the required Government reports out, but now we could look at the data during any timeframe, in any number of 'views', allowing us to determine when there are irregularities in the system and helping us find the technical problem, and will ultimately detemine when the system will require expansion.
Since then I've developed databases to assist in tracking investment program exection, tying into external financial tables, and an application to track needed investments.

stan1941
post May 4 2004, 01:13 PM
Post#39

I use Access to track several multi million dollar Engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) projects. Projects have many components, Most usually maintained in spreadsheets. Access is used to link the spreadsheets and bring it all together into a tracking and reporting tool.
Tables includeing Projects NO & names, Phases NO & name, Original budget, change order & deviation log, current budget, purchase order logs, construction contract logs, owners cost . When all the stars are in line I can download accounting information with payroll, expenses and invoices on Monday Morning and provide a up to date cost report for all open project by noon. The project managers can then review & edit their "forecast at completion" and issue a weekly report. noting any budget under or over runs.
My problem is I didn't do the programming and much of it is well over my head and my programmer is no longer around. So necessity is the mother and I learn as I need fixes.

leduncan
post May 5 2004, 04:24 PM
Post#40

I use Access mainly for business. I am new to this website, but not Access. I have primarily taught myself with books and the internet.
urrently at work I manage the db that tracks all pilots, flight engineers and crewmen qualifications, physicals, etc. Creating reports with soon to be (30, 60, 90 days) expired. Also use Access at work as a test generator. Having a database of hundreds of multipule choice questions you can build tests with any amount of questions and create a "master" with the answers.
I've just jumped into the private industry (if you haven't figured it out my primary job is the military 18+ years). I have created a db for a friend to track Ebay auctions and all the stuff that goes with that. I am currently building a database for a Ceramic's shop. (My first paying customer!) It is my most challenging project yet.
Of course, like many others, the Access addiction runs off into my personal life. db's for everything from organizing pictures, baseball card collections, home inventory...the works.
I think a great addition to this site would be it's own database with all of the great db's people on this string alone have created that would enable them to upload sample (no data) dbs to share with others. Does anyone know if there is anything like that other than the 7 or 8 samples in the forums?
Anyway, this site has already helped me get over a couple of hurdles (saving me some forehead skin). crazy.gif I think that UA is great! Keep up the good work!
Eric

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 09:46 PM