UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   (Go to first unread post)
   Closed TopicStart new topic
> What do you use Microsoft Access for?    

Zeev
post Mar 19 2005, 05:42 AM
Post#61

Since I love Computers and databases, I wanted to take the challenge of building my own database to control my business contacts, companies I am doing business with, products I purchased and more. By doing so I wanted to gain more control of my info and to better learn databases. I think I did well. Few features are not working yet, but most does.
note to this community! - I posted two question on the form page. within couple of hours I got the solution to one. I thank you. I hope I will be able to help this group too.
Zeev
Go to the top of the page

biggie277
post Mar 26 2005, 10:37 AM
Post#62

I work in the prison system. I started out with Paradox in the mid'90's. The data base was already in use and I learned by using it. I developes a small Paradox db to track each prisoner's progress. A couple of years ago we converted to MS Office. While some complained of the difficulty in use, I was able to develope a better database. In addition to monitoring a persons prograss, we use it to automatically change a prisoners cell in our count sheets(reduces errors in typing names and numbers), our count sheets (excel) automatically takes the iinfo from Access and places the person properly. I then developed another excel program whch automatically places a person in schooling classes and (temporarily) removes them from the class if they are ill, and places them bac in the proper class once they are better. We monitor their age and I can within minutes generate a report that helps me verify that people are placed in rooms based on age criteria.
I have developed a seperate db that allows a person to automatically place all of our prisoners on a work assignment. One report generates an overall report with everyone's name, number and work assignment on it, two other reports that generate only the specific reports(work assignments) needed and another report to generate a specific report. These reports are on smaller sized paper (about half a sheet) which has caused me some difficulty in getting the reports to generate properly.
Yk in the prison system. I started out with Paradox in the mid'90's. The data base was already in use and I learned by using it. I developes a small Paradox db to track each prisoner's progress. A couple of years ago we converted to MS Office. While some complained of the difficulty in use, I was able to develope a better database. In addition to monitoring a persons prograss, we use it to automatically change a prisoners cell in our count sheets(reduces errors in typing names and numbers), our count sheets (excel) automatically takes the iinfo from Access and places the person properly. I then developed another excel program whch automatically places a person in schooling classes and (temporarily) removes them from the class if they are ill, and places them bac in the proper class once they are better. We monitor their age and I can within minutes generate a report that helps me verify that people are placed in rooms based on age criteria.
I have developed a seperate db that allows a person to automatically place all of our prisoners on a work assignment. One report generates an overall report with everyone's name, number and work assignment on it, two other reports that generate only the specific reports(work assignments) needed and another report to generate a specific report. These reports are on smaller sized paper (about half a sheet) which has caused me some difficulty in getting the reports to generate properly.
YOur db's are not linked to the internet(due to security issues), but are on servers.
I have done this all on my own, mostly from trial and error and * for DUMMIES books. My wife took a college ACCESS class a couple of years ago and I believe I knew more than the instructor. This is not saying much for me. I know that there have got to be very knowledgabe people out there to help, but finding them is difficult. I have been able to follow most of the rules for data redundancy, etc., but have had a few problems with reports, but an unable to find answers in any books, to date.
I am looking forwaard to this forum.

doctor9
post Mar 31 2005, 03:09 PM
Post#63

UtterAccess Editor

Five years ago I was hired by a testing lab thru a temp agency to do basic office manager stuff. The lab had a few primitive data entry forms in Alpha5, which no one really liked. So I sat down with the users, designed similar forms in Access, but with an eye towards easy data entry. Today I'm a permanent employee, and I've designed forms that do stuff like calculating Slope and Intercept based on IF tests so complex that I need to document my process in multi-page Word documents. One of my latest databases successfully stores .jpg photos of test results as BLOBs, and displays them in reports on demand without the bloat.
rankly, if it weren't for my Access skills, I'd probably still be renting, rather than paying off a mortgage.
On the side, I'm helping my wife with her photo studio. For instance, I've created a master checklist of specific wedding shots she can get. The customer choses off which ones they want, and she prints out a list of "must have" shots that she can take with her on location.
Someday I'll get some free time to do the data entry on my old comic book collection. I taught myself Access while creating a comic database with the criteria that _I_ found important, rather than just downloading one off the 'net. I'm also developing a database of the 35-year history of my community theatre so we can see what roles a certain actor has played in past productions, and who directed, and what did the program cover look like, etc. Theoretically, a shrunken version of the IMDB.
Dennis

post Apr 3 2005, 08:56 PM
Post#64

Well I am a volunteer Fireman and we need to have a data base for our calls. I am hoping to build something that can help us...

soma1958
post Apr 4 2005, 03:05 AM
Post#65

If you want to know what microsoft access is used for then
ts a relational database system used to store data and can be retrieved at request and in the desired form .For example -as in your case -the calls system may contain date,time,calling number,name,location,and subject etc.How ever, when you want to enquiry you can search by any required field or more .You can make the data available on network for other people to share information in controlled manner.
The analysis and database design depends on your level of knowledge in the subject.

tergarone
post Apr 6 2005, 04:04 PM
Post#66

I run GeoNetworks reports ... that software allows us to save the data from the report pages to MS Access tables. I then link the tables to perform queries to respond to RFPs from healthcare brokers. Mostly reporting and research.
ergarone

ozysolutions
post Apr 7 2005, 07:47 PM
Post#67

I have created many databases including: Address book, student grading, customer, contract management, employee management, stock control, and too many others to list. I started using Access for Windows 3.1. Before that I used Dbase, filemaker pro,. I love access at it is easy to get the results you need. Now I create databases for small business.

mrspruitt
post Apr 22 2005, 12:25 PM
Post#68

I am designing an auditing application for a cusomters' software quality department.

Simon123
post May 22 2005, 04:28 AM
Post#69

I use Access for curriculum development and management. The database links Training Specification (TS) Course Training Outcomes (CTOs) with Learning Outcomes (LOs), Assessment Criteria (ACs), course-ware, assessments, questions, references and resources.
Back in 1994, I used Access as a user friendly front to Micro Management Expert – so workers could easily input maintenance data.

tjs
post May 23 2005, 10:45 AM
Post#70

Our db was started in '93 using whatever version of Access was available then. I inherited this in 1999. We use it for most things:
ustomers & contacts
Suppliers & contacts
Sales lead tracking
Inventory
Parts ordering
We upgraded to Access 2000 in 2000 but not any further. Fortunately, most of what I have to do it is just 'tinkering'! However, I wouldn't have been able to do much of the tinkering without the help of UA. Thanks to all of you.

post May 29 2005, 03:29 AM
Post#71

I use Access 2003 to maintain membership info for a country wide group of car clubs which all have the same interest - Cadillacs. The database is set up to hold data about the member, their membership status and the cars they own. The data is maintained by a 70 years old person with no training and very little knowledge of computers.

baldy_man
post Jun 21 2005, 07:23 PM
Post#72

Mainly at work. Holding data on vehicle quality, we use one database to compile data from 5 other databases to create reports for all & sundry to view. My biggest headache was solved by UA & I will be eternally grateful. Now I pick up lots of hints by scrolling through all the various threads, as & when I have time.

post Jun 22 2005, 05:49 AM
Post#73

Several databases at work. One helps track spending and forecasting in a way the corporate accounting system does not (especially the forecasting module). One helps create a special report that uses Powerpoint. Was taking hours by hand. Access is used for data entry import from Excel files that were already being used, and then modifies a Powerpoint template based on the data.
ichard

StewartTanner
post Jun 25 2005, 10:45 PM
Post#74

I don't use MS Access as such, I just develop in it.
I've been making my living from MS Access development since 1996.

strike22
post Jun 27 2005, 12:12 PM
Post#75

I use Access on and off to make smaller and less complex databases, such as small inventory, or for small businesses.
I use MS SQL and ASP as my primary programming/coding projects. Access is an occasional program, however it is a beneficial program for most databases with around <15,000 records, because it has a tendency to "crash". SQL has the capability of holding more records, however there is some more hardcoding required.
The options for creating a database, or managing a database are out there, it just depends on the user's capabilities and limits to determine which is best for them.

mrado
post Jul 12 2005, 06:39 PM
Post#76

I am a teacher and use access for my records. I have developed a database for school reports which a school in England is using. I am developing another database for a different school to track pupil progress etc. but this is proving more tricky and testing my self taught knowledge of access to the limit. I am looking to develop my knowledge of SQL and VB so I can use code better. This site is fascinating and has helped me lots already.

gadgetgalky
post Jul 13 2005, 02:08 PM
Post#77

I have written several simple databases with one to eight or so tables, forms, queries, reports, macros etc complete with switchboads over the years. Nothing complicated.
I have one medium sized database shared on a LAN where the location of parts are tracked. It uses several tables, queries, forms, reports and macros to accomplish this. There are many action queries involved. We also export data from this database to bump up to our production system when needed for reports. It's not too complicated and fairly stable. Data is imported from our main production system for the master tables. We utilize the switchboard to make it look like a system and easier to use.
I have another large database shared on a WAN that keeps up with inventory that is both owned and consigned and the activity between the two ownerships. Parts are requisitioned via a report from one building to the other. There are separate screens to accomplish in's, out's, move's, vendor returns, physical inventory, etc.

balboa
post Jul 18 2005, 01:06 AM
Post#78

Professionally I have developed several databases for a few clients that have ranged from a Non Profit Service Organization (company wide database that stored member info, donations, ticket sales for events, numerous mailing lists, etc - my most ambitious project to date); A retail outfit that needed order entry and tracking (a majority of their orders were recieved by email and needed to be entered semi automatically, numerous reports including partial and final invoices); A training facility that needed to track students, courses, tests, payments, etc; and a few other small projects.
On a personal level I have built a financial database that tracks investments and liquid assets, with minimal data entry. Most dataentry is accomplished thru automated web queries. Reports and Charts have been standardized and are all push button.
I have had a few potential clients express interest in connection to the internet but have personally shied away from it as that is not my strong suite and have rather prodded them into more "mainstream solutions". All the normal training manuals deal with Access Pages in a very simplistic manner and don't talk about security and all the other stuff you need to know. Frankly it intimidates me a bit.
Love this site. Had a couple of your VIPs pull my butt out of the fire on more than one occasion.
Pete

The_Catlady
post Jul 20 2005, 11:37 PM
Post#79

I use it to match up Excel spreadsheets for me! I just point it at a few Excel worksheets and then design a query to match them up. This serves 2 purposes: 1) it tells me, with a left outer join, whether data is missing from the second worksheet; 2) it enables me to quickly combine data from various tables at once and export the results into yet another worksheet for my end-user to see.
eople I work with are amazed at the quick results I can obtain this way. Often I have previously queried (into Excel) the data out of our ERP tables, which is faster to do if you're only pulling out 1 to 3 tables at a time. Then I do the matchup with Access and send the user the results.

Linsky
post Aug 5 2005, 06:47 AM
Post#80

I use Access at work for contacts and customer visits. I'm still really new to it though and find it exciting when I do the least little thing that actually works! Can anyone tell me if I can import a .dat file using Access? And since I'm really new to UtterAccess too, where do I post general questions...am I at the right place here?

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 10:16 PM