UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2002 (XP) - Annoying Problem: Right Click in Explorer >    

WgM
post Feb 28 2004, 08:50 PM
Post#1

Access 2002 (XP) - Annoying Problem: Right Click in Explorer > New > Microsoft Access Application: defaults to Access 2000 file type.
When developing Applications in Access 2002 (XP) it is frustrating that when you want to create a “New” Access Application from within Windows Explorer, you get a “New” Access 2000 file, not a “New” Access 2002 (XP) file. Even setting the Options>Advanced>Default File Format to 2002 doesn’t help.
So this feature (creating new Access Applications from within Explorer) had been useless to me. I also had my own preferences for references (I’m a Renascence man, I like DAO, but sometimes, when I’m alone, and no one is watching, I like to do a bit of ADO).
My Solution (with the usual warnings about doing anything, and any other warnings you can think of):
The default Access file that is used when Right Clicking “New” Access Application from within Windows Explorer is located at:
C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew\
(as are the default Explorer Right Click “New” files for Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
The Access default “New” file is named: “ACCESS9.MDB”.
Ocopied the file to another directory, converted it to Access XP (2002) and, even though it has no modules, I set the references to those that references I use by pressing <ALT> <F11>.
I named the file “newACCESS9.MDB” and pasted it to:
C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew\
Then I changed the name of “ACCESS9.MDB” to “holdACCESS9.MDB”.
Then I changed the name of “newACCESS9.MDB” to “ACCESS9.MDB”.
Now the really dangerous part (All the warnings you can think of):
Reboot (for some reason if you don’t reboot, the “New” files open very slow from Explorer but open fine from Access (Most Recent File list).
At any rate, after the reboot, when you Right Click in Explorer > New > Microsoft Access Application, you will create a “New” Access File that is in Access 2002 (XP) and contains your preferred references.
Sweet.
If you have any problems (I have never had a problem, but who knows?), simply delete “ACCESS9.MDB” from “C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew\” and rename “holdACCESS9.MDB” to “ACCESS9.MDB”.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
“God, I love this sport”
Regards,
Walter
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 12:29 AM