UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2003 Bug List    

ghubbell
post Mar 15 2004, 11:09 AM
Post#1

UA Administrator

Please add polite and constructive information and comments in order to help Microsoft debug the 2003 version of Access.
Please change your reply subject to best suit your issue.

Thanks very much,

Gord Hubbell
Webmaster, www.UtterAccess.com
Go to the top of the page

ghubbell
post Mar 15 2004, 11:15 AM
Post#2

UA Administrator

2003:
Track, Perform and Log AutoCorrect: On.
) If you are not logging, track and perform do not consistently....track and perform.
2) Complex queries (containing multiple criteria or sub queries), do not update.

ghubbell
post Mar 15 2004, 11:25 AM
Post#3

UA Administrator

Possibly during crashes - however values typically change to:
CODE
SELECT *
FROM MSysObjects;

with no trace of the original.

zocker
post Mar 16 2004, 06:06 PM
Post#4

Utterly Eccentric and Moderator

Gord, could you explain that a little please.
Thanks

ghubbell
post Mar 16 2004, 06:55 PM
Post#5

UA Administrator

Hi Z,

Sure - and I found it by chance. I wrote a neat chunk of code as a bit of a challenge put forth and used it myself against my current work which now contains about 1,500 queries.

Soooo nice to see these in a table and be able to do a visual review. Anyway, about 10% of the queries which were at one time perhaps like "SELECT bla.blabla FROM bla WHERE bla.blabla = something", now contain only the SQL string mentioned.

I'm being gentle here: some of the queries I use might be like:

CODE
SELECT tblselect.*,
tblselectsub.*,
tblmodel.Model,
tblmodel.q0,
tblmodel.Qv100,
tblmodel.dPmax,
tblmodel.nmax,
tblCLImodelc.Frame,
tblCLImodelc.Limit,
tblCLImodelc.Max,
tblselect.P1 AS AP,
Forms!zfsel!fqv100 AS FQV100,
[Qv100]*[FQV100]*Sqr(1.293*(Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/([RHO1]*100)) AS Qv,
Ft32Mt3([Q1])+[Qv] AS Q0H, 1000*[Q0H]/[q0] AS n,
[RPMmax]*[nmax] AS Lnmax,
Forms!zfsel!RPMmin*[nmax] AS nmin,
[n]/[nmax] AS nnmax, [nmax]-[n] AS [nmax-n],
Ft32Mt3([Q1])/[Q0H] AS nv, (Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/([cp]*[Rho1]*[nv]*10) AS dt,
Rank2Kel([T1]) AS Tk, Rank2C([T1])+[dt] AS t2c,
[Q0H]*(Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/600 AS Pthkw,
[n5]*[n]^5 AS sn5, [n4]*[n]^4 AS sn4,
[n3]*[n]^3 AS sn3, [n2]*[n]^2 AS sn2,
[n1]*[n] AS sn1,
tblCLImodelc.n0, [sn5]+[sn4]+[sn3]+[sn2]+[sn1]+[n0] AS pv,
[pthkw]+[pv] AS Pkw,
Ft32Mt3([Q1])*(Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/600 AS Pq1,
[Pq1]/[pkw] AS Meff,
(1/([n]/[nmax]))*((1/((Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/[dpmax]))^3)*40000 AS L10,
tblCLIsound.Hood,
[n]*[x] AS a, Psi2Mbar([DP])*[y] AS b,
[xy]*[n]*Psi2Mbar([DP]) AS c, [x2]*[n]^2 AS d,
[y2]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^2 AS e, [y3]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^3 AS f,
[x2y]*[n]^2*Psi2Mbar([DP]) AS g,
[x2y2]*[n]^2*Psi2Mbar([DP])^2 AS h,
[xy2]*[n]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^2 AS i,
[xy3]*[n]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^3 AS j,
tblCLIsound.Add,
[a]+[b]+[c]+[d]+[e]+[f]+[g]+[h]+[i]+[j]+[add] AS Zdb1
FROM (((tblselect LEFT JOIN tblmodel ON tblselect.ModelID = tblmodel.ModelID)
LEFT JOIN tblCLIsound ON tblmodel.ModelID = tblCLIsound.ModelID)
LEFT JOIN tblCLImodelc ON tblmodel.ModelID = tblCLImodelc.ModelID)
LEFT JOIN tblselectsub ON tblselect.SelID = tblselectsub.SelID
WHERE (((tblCLImodelc.Max)>=(SELECT Max( Ft32Mt3 ([Q1])) AS [Max]
FROM tblselectsub GROUP BY tblselectsub.SelID
HAVING (((tblselectsub.SelID)=[Forms]![zfsel]![zfsela].[Form]![SelID]))))
AND ((tblselect.ModelID)=[Forms]![zfsel]![ModID])
AND ((tblselectsub.SelID)=[Forms]![zfsel]![SelID]))
Order />
Sure - and I found it by chance. I wrote a neat chunk of code as a bit of a challenge put forth and used it myself against my current work which now contains about 1,500 queries.

Soooo nice to see these in a table and be able to do a visual review. Anyway, about 10% of the queries which were at one time perhaps like "SELECT bla.blabla FROM bla WHERE bla.blabla = something", now contain only the SQL string mentioned.

I'm being gentle here: some of the queries I use might be like:

CODE
SELECT tblselect.*,
tblselectsub.*,
tblmodel.Model,
tblmodel.q0,
tblmodel.Qv100,
tblmodel.dPmax,
tblmodel.nmax,
tblCLImodelc.Frame,
tblCLImodelc.Limit,
tblCLImodelc.Max,
tblselect.P1 AS AP,
Forms!zfsel!fqv100 AS FQV100,
[Qv100]*[FQV100]*Sqr(1.293*(Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/([RHO1]*100)) AS Qv,
Ft32Mt3([Q1])+[Qv] AS Q0H, 1000*[Q0H]/[q0] AS n,
[RPMmax]*[nmax] AS Lnmax,
Forms!zfsel!RPMmin*[nmax] AS nmin,
[n]/[nmax] AS nnmax, [nmax]-[n] AS [nmax-n],
Ft32Mt3([Q1])/[Q0H] AS nv, (Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/([cp]*[Rho1]*[nv]*10) AS dt,
Rank2Kel([T1]) AS Tk, Rank2C([T1])+[dt] AS t2c,
[Q0H]*(Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/600 AS Pthkw,
[n5]*[n]^5 AS sn5, [n4]*[n]^4 AS sn4,
[n3]*[n]^3 AS sn3, [n2]*[n]^2 AS sn2,
[n1]*[n] AS sn1,
tblCLImodelc.n0, [sn5]+[sn4]+[sn3]+[sn2]+[sn1]+[n0] AS pv,
[pthkw]+[pv] AS Pkw,
Ft32Mt3([Q1])*(Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/600 AS Pq1,
[Pq1]/[pkw] AS Meff,
(1/([n]/[nmax]))*((1/((Psi2Mbar([DP]+[VP]))/[dpmax]))^3)*40000 AS L10,
tblCLIsound.Hood,
[n]*[x] AS a, Psi2Mbar([DP])*[y] AS b,
[xy]*[n]*Psi2Mbar([DP]) AS c, [x2]*[n]^2 AS d,
[y2]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^2 AS e, [y3]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^3 AS f,
[x2y]*[n]^2*Psi2Mbar([DP]) AS g,
[x2y2]*[n]^2*Psi2Mbar([DP])^2 AS h,
[xy2]*[n]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^2 AS i,
[xy3]*[n]*Psi2Mbar([DP])^3 AS j,
tblCLIsound.Add,
[a]+[b]+[c]+[d]+[e]+[f]+[g]+[h]+[i]+[j]+[add] AS Zdb1
FROM (((tblselect LEFT JOIN tblmodel ON tblselect.ModelID = tblmodel.ModelID)
LEFT JOIN tblCLIsound ON tblmodel.ModelID = tblCLIsound.ModelID)
LEFT JOIN tblCLImodelc ON tblmodel.ModelID = tblCLImodelc.ModelID)
LEFT JOIN tblselectsub ON tblselect.SelID = tblselectsub.SelID
WHERE (((tblCLImodelc.Max)>=(SELECT Max( Ft32Mt3 ([Q1])) AS [Max]
FROM tblselectsub GROUP BY tblselectsub.SelID
HAVING (((tblselectsub.SelID)=[Forms]![zfsel]![zfsela].[Form]![SelID]))))
AND ((tblselect.ModelID)=[Forms]![zfsel]![ModID])
AND ((tblselectsub.SelID)=[Forms]![zfsel]![SelID]))
ORDER BY tblmodel.q0, tblCLImodelc.Max, tblselectsub.ISelID;

Which when broken or missing are really not fun to figure out... again.

I've done a lot of work on this project, so granted there's probably 5% of the queries which are either no longer used, or something was changed 'pre 2003' that 2003 didn't like - and so Access at some point neutered the contents of the query to this default.

I'm sure you've changed a table name or a field name (before SPEED Ferret or the 2003 Auto Correct / Object Dependencies idea), only to open a query in design view and have to reconnect something. All fine and dandy providing something is there to connect! In my case all prior evidence is gone and I therefore had to fall back to an older copy to find out exactly what the query was about.

BTW I will at some point, wrap up the code I've linked to, and stuff it in the archive - it's very handy.

Gord o!

Encryptshun
post Mar 19 2004, 03:47 PM
Post#6

I had a database Design Master in Access 2000. I modified it in Access 2003, and kept the version as Access 2000. After replication to a server-side replica, my users who are on Access 2000, while attempting to open the server replica receive the following message: "MSACCESS.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

The only individual on my team to NOT be experiencing this error is also using Access 2003. Again, I have verified that both the replica and the design master are both Access 2000 files.

I'm at a loss here.
Edited by: Encryptshun on 03.19.04.

twigleaf
post Mar 22 2004, 05:27 PM
Post#7

I am a new user to 2003 and have so far done little in the way of new stuff. I did however recently convert a 2000 Access db of about 230 meg into 2003. I used it a few times and now I am unable to access it.
ops up an "Unknown" box. Nicely telling me I can't get into any tables. Everytime I access the thing I get the now really annoying "Sorry but Access has...." after about ten seconds.
I have reinstalled, followed advice from the system and downloaded all patches. I cannot convert back to 2000 as that crashes.
Any help off anyone would be appreciated.

tunkefer
post Mar 23 2004, 04:20 PM
Post#8

It appears that any conditional formatting in a continuous form that also includes a textbox with a computed value throws Access 11 into a long calculation loop. This loop grows in duration, probably to an endless degree, as the continuous form is exercised.
The same code appears to work fine under Access 10, which is what is really causes headaches.

smwabill
post Apr 17 2004, 11:55 AM
Post#9

For your information
He had built a 5 tier complex query in 97 to handle a complete Orders/sales tax/tracking/Customer base. It worked fine until we needed to add additional freight fields which maxed it out. We bought Access 2003 and it would not run the original queries, saying "too complex" We called Microsoft Access tech support and they said that this was true that 97 was built to handle more complex queries. I asked them why they would come out with an updated program and go down on the specs. They had no answer.
Thanks.
smwabill thumbdn.gif

ghubbell
post Apr 17 2004, 12:37 PM
Post#10

UA Administrator

smwabill,
Please try this:
Orecall somewhere in the back of my mind that there is a limit to the number of characters you can stuff in to an Access SQL statement. If you look at the query I've posted earlier in this thread, you see some rather cryptic (short) field names - and again, as I recall they were done that way because I found the real SQL of the stack of queries, was getting chopped off somewhere in the process and hence exploding. You're adding fields meaning you're adding length - just on the odd chance this might be what's going on. Pressing my fading memory one last time, it did 'just happen' - 'query is too complex' warnings rather than what one might expect should say 'query string too long'.
Good luck!
Gord o!

smwabill
post Apr 17 2004, 02:01 PM
Post#11

Thank you. I could try that.
do remember that there were alot of calculated fields, hence the need for tiering or nesting queries. I do believe your right where you say that the SQL statement is limited to the number of chars. I think 2003 is more limited. But I will try to look into that.
Thanks for the memory or the recall of it.
smwabill thanks.gif

ghubbell
post Apr 19 2004, 09:05 AM
Post#12

UA Administrator

Does not appear trustworthy. Just did about 500 query re-names and some made it to the forms, but none made it to the reports.
The results are so random (for myself anyway), it's back to manual inspection.
On a brighter note, the object dependancies tree is somewhat helpful however I find it necessary to shut down the Db about every half hour as there appears to be some sort of a memory leak which eventually bleeds all the power out of the graphics. 1 GB RAM too. dazed.gif
Gord.

VincentMcCune
post May 4 2004, 09:55 AM
Post#13

I have a strange situation. I have an application that works fine under 2000 or XP. The client bought two new weokstations that came with XP Pro and Access 2003. I have three machines in a workgroup all pointing to the same network printer (IP Address) and they all have the same name to get to the printer. The problem is that the 2003 mahines cannot find the printer. If i hover over the printer icon id says "No Printer" I can print to this printer from any other program on these mahines but Access 2003. Word, Excell Etc.
Any thoughts ?

JeremyFSU
post May 6 2004, 10:09 AM
Post#14

>
Hello,
I am getting the exact same issue. I have installed all the latest updates, in addition to the latest Jet drivers. Were you able to fix this error?
Thanks!

jb2004
post May 30 2004, 03:28 PM
Post#15

Since I have upgraded to 2003 I have been having a problem with switching forms. I used some hyperlinks just to make it easy, nut every once in a while it will load half of the new form over the old one. Leaving a split screen. If I scroll records each box changes, nut you can still see the old form behind it.

axbxfx
post Jun 7 2004, 08:01 AM
Post#16

I am also having this problem on some XP pro Access 2003 machines that have been imaged lately. Those that have not been imaged lately seem to be fine. Have eliminated user profiles, conversion from earlier formats (Access 2000). Next try is to completely uninstall office and re-install.

teduncan
post Jul 21 2004, 10:20 AM
Post#17

I have the same problem ... "Unknown" error message, followed by the dreaded "Send a report to Microsoft" message. I've re-installed Access 2003, MDAC, even JET. Still doesn't work. Did you ever fix it?

weiglek
post Jul 30 2004, 02:13 PM
Post#18

Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer?

weiglek
post Jul 30 2004, 02:24 PM
Post#19

As Office 2003 is being installed in offices, we are having random reports of users getting an error in Access when they try to preview a report. The message refers to "vopen report" and says "action was cancelled." The problem occurs even with very simple reports. The Access database was converted from 2000 to 2002 sometime ago and had been running smoothly until recently. Office 2003 is suspect since it is one of the very few variables in the equation.
He have uninstalled and reinstalled printers, and uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003, with absolutely no change in results.

weiglek
post Jul 30 2004, 02:36 PM
Post#20

I have an Access 2002 attendance tracking database used across campus that has been going into corrupt mode pretty frequently lately. We are moving to Office 2003 and this has happened since that move started. Currently there are both Office 2002 and Office 2003 users that access this database.
couple of times I could recover nothing. A few other times I was able to get into the corrupt database (clicking past many errors) and export the two tables that are most active into an earlier backup to successfully recover without loss of data.
We are aware of problems after one instance where the user just turned the power off a machine when things seemed to freeze up in the database. Another problem occurred when, again after what appeared to be a freeze, the user elected to stop the process from the task manager.
This database has been running smoothly for several years now. About a year ago it was converted from Access 2000 to 2002. I don't recall the database going corrupt even once in the last year. Now it is happening every week.

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 01:39 AM