UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Free software firewall programs    

dana
post Apr 7 2004, 03:32 PM
Post#1

UA Admin + Auntie Virus

Feel free to add any free firewalls you know about to this list. If you've used them, it would be great if you could give a short summary of features and/or a personal review of the product. Also, any additional opinions or reviews on ones that are already listed are welcome, as well.

Two that have already been mentioned and recommended in this forum are:

ZoneAlarm by Zonelabs

Most popular free firewall for personal use.

Pros: Easy to use, works well.
Cons: Since it's the most popular, some malware includes routines that attempt to shut down ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm includes a feature now that is supposed to provide a popup dialog letting you know if anything attempts to shut it down. If I attempt to kill ZoneAlarm with Windows Task Manager, it does give me the notification, but nothing says a malware author couldn't find a way around this. Also, some malware will actually attempt to damage ZoneAlarm so that it won't work even if it is running. Note that you would only have to worry about this if your computer actually becomes infected with one of the viruses that does this. [Hopefully, you have an up-to-date antivirus program keeping you reasonably protected. smile.gif ]

Kerio Personal Firewall

Another firewall that's free for personal use.

Pros: Works well.
Cons: Not quite as easy to use for novice computer users as ZoneAlarm, but I still wouldn't consider it difficult.

There are also plenty of firewall products you can purchase (like ZoneAlarm Pro, BlackIce, Norton Personal Firewall, McAfee Personal Firewall, and others), so if the free products don't meet your needs, there are always pay products to choose from.
Go to the top of the page

roxz72
post Apr 7 2004, 09:46 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Another free one that is supposed to be pretty good (haven't tried it) is
Sygate Personal Firewall

Visualize Software makes VisualZone, an add-on product to help analyze the logs from ZoneAlarm (and ZoneAlarm Pro).

WyvernWorks makes Firewall 2004 (haven't tried)

Another free firewall is Outpost by Agnitum. However, the free version has been updated in quite some time so is probably NOT a good choice. I mention it only to note that it has not been updated.

SnapFiles has links to a bunch of other free firewall programs with site ratings and download popularity.

HTH
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 12:11 PM