UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SharePoint Introduction    

ClintC
post Dec 17 2004, 10:57 AM
Post#1

Microsoft Corp UA VIP

I don't know if many people have been exposed to Windows SharePoint Server yet. Here are a couple links to articles that talk about why SharePoint is interesting to the Access developer.
http://msaccessadvisor.com/doc/14850
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...0192441033.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...0192451033.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...nt/default.mspx
Has anyone here created link tables to a SharePoint server yet? I'm interested in hearing more how it worked for you.
Thanks,
Go to the top of the page

cs51
post Dec 21 2004, 06:09 AM
Post#2

Hi ClintC

Thank you for the valuable info . I am eagerly awaiting the answer for this post
Thank you

adaytay
post Jan 13 2005, 09:17 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I've just moved to a new company and have control over everything IT-related. We have a Windows 2003 SBS and - much to my delight - SharePoint Services is available. Indeed, I've been playing with the facility today trying to get a feel for it all.
The company I work for is a very new company and until now hasn't really had anyone to guide them on IT etc, so this I feel will be an extremely valuable tool for the business.
So, thanks for the links - I'm going to be doing a fair bit of reading over the next few days and weeks....
Ad

zocker
post Jan 13 2005, 01:52 PM
Post#4

Utterly Eccentric and Moderator

Completely off the subject - but the sites at the links posted produced the result shown in the attached jpg
Z
Attached File(s)
Attached File  scrnshot.JPG ( 95.17K )Number of downloads: 128

hootieman
post Jan 23 2005, 04:03 PM
Post#5

Looks to me like the site has a pop-up ad containing a tracking cookie. I am using Mozilla Firefox, so I did not get this pop up.
egards,
-hootieman

ttellis
post Mar 9 2005, 02:08 PM
Post#6

I am not the Admin to my company's Sharpoint portals (or sites), but I am the Admin of my department's site. I have a 'Calendar' (which is actually a cutom list) that is linked to an Access database. It makes it much easier for me to generate reports. So far, so good!

Tjoppie
post Apr 6 2005, 08:50 AM
Post#7

Hi all,
There can I find a share point portal server sample site? I need to show a presentation to management about it to buy it, but nowhere can I find any examples! Please help!
Thanks

GregNTulsa
post Jun 1 2005, 11:13 AM
Post#8

I have just recently started a new job and they have this Sharepoint stuff.
I was wondering if I could get a general "does it work" question answered.
If I had an access database that I wanted to share on the Sharepoint site, that would allow people to use the forms in the database to fill in order type info, would that work?
Is that part of the intentions of Sharepoint?
Sorry for my ignorance, I am just starting to figure out what Sharepoint is and what it is used for. And as soon as I get time I will read the links.
Just wanted this quick answer, cause if it is true then I want my boss to buy me some manuals so I can learn how to use it to our departments advantage.
Thanks,
Greg

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 10 2005, 10:20 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

Good Morning, I was searching for Sharepoint for other reasons and turned up your post. I am not an expert on Sharepoint by any stretch of the imagination. However, having seen a demo of using a shared Access db on a Sharepoint server, I think it is safe to say the answer to your first question is, "yes, with qualifications".
Like all things involving multiple users and shared resources, it's a bit more complicated than setting up a single user workstation, but my understanding is that what you are talking about is part of the goals of Sharepoint.
George

tweetywill
post Nov 29 2005, 04:26 PM
Post#10

I have created an Access front-end that is linked to a Sharepoint server and it works, but it is SLOW!
Any suggestions? I will be reading all of the links, since I am seriously DYING here!
Thanks!

KingMartin
post Dec 2 2005, 05:12 PM
Post#11

Retired Moderator

Hmmm... this is is strange, I downloaded the latest S&D database and immunized and it doesn't give me any warning... the site displayed without any popups shrug.gif
artin

s_mcfa
post Jun 8 2006, 11:03 AM
Post#12

I 'v been working on Microsoft Product.I do have some issues with the way the calander works. It doesn’t like my night and day shift which is 7am to 5 pm & 7 pm to 5 am
It say’s the end of time for a shift should be after the starting time.
I try different ways still doesn't work.
I would like to resolve this before going to far a head with the project.
Can I enter both shift work at the same time? If Yes, How can I do that.

IceZebra
post Jun 16 2006, 06:37 AM
Post#13

Greg,
You can't use forms in an Access database for data entry with Sharepoint. One option is to use Infopath to connect to a Form Library on your sharepoint website. Infopath forms can have Access as its data source back end and you can customize the Infopath form with code.
Sorry to poke a pin in the balloon.
Good luck

gricks
post Aug 9 2006, 03:37 PM
Post#14

I just tried integrating Sharepoint and Access, with success.
He have a large backend database in Access that we use. I was able to create a dataset in Access and export it to SharePoint as a list.
Once it was in SharePoint, I linked to the list, and can now update that list in SharePoint using Access queries.
Odid experience the response issue as well - running inside of Access is about 2 seconds, while doing the same with the SharePoint list was about 30 seconds.
Anything we can do to optimize this?
Thanks.

aelhabboub
post Jul 29 2007, 08:14 AM
Post#15

IceZebra,
That you are saying is absolutely true. I just want to add that when it is about submiting data it is better to use Infopath 2007, cos 2003 will make a duplicate copy, this was the way for me when doing the employees surveys using Infopath and SharePoint.
Odon't know if there is another solution, but worked smoothly with Info 2007 sad.gif
Regards,
abdul

Bpulliam
post Aug 13 2007, 02:38 PM
Post#16

I have been using WSS 2.0 and WSS 3.0 (SharePoint Versions) in combination with Access 2003 for about 2 years.
My experience has been spotty....
We've had some great successes in some areas, and less then stellar results in others....The problem with SharePoint is one of adoption for me....I don't seem to have the same issues with pure Access applications oddly enough. Many people love the idea of SharePoint, but when it comes time to use it...well...not so much...
Anyways, I have found that the successes we've experienced have always centered around Project Management applications...
Anything outside of that has failed miserably....
Hight transaction stuff in Access (not so good) and in combination with SharePoint = REALLY BAD...
Do your crunching someplace else and then post the results to SharePoint...
The architecture in the successful implementations has looked like this:
1) Tables in SharePoint
2) Forms in SharePoint using native OOTB stuff
3) Reporting in Access (pretty graphs, groups, branding)
4) Transactional routines, number crunching, etc...in Access or better yet, leverage enterprise production assets.
5) Post results back to SharePoint using as small a footprint as possible as SharePoint tables are riddled with Metadata (some visible and some not) and will take forever to move around as it's lugging all that metadata around.
We are doing this in both intra-and extranet environments.
It's definately a case of making sure that your not taking a square peg and trying to get it into a round hole. Everybody needs to be onboard, and a call for openmindedness is in order when presenting this to your users as it can be a little overwhelming and is a bit of a paradigm shift.
That being said the rewards, while not immediate, are great. We have pulled some stuff off that has really wowed our clients and we've given upper management more than a few occasions to brag...We are a much more sophisticated organization than when we started in terms of how we track what we are doing and collaborate when we are working with our clientele to provision contracted services...
I am looking forward to moving to access 2007 and experimenting with some of the enhance integration features...

thomrosewwb
post Sep 10 2007, 06:28 PM
Post#17

I attended the Microsoft launch party for Vista/Office 2007 earlier this year. I was excited to see what Sharepoint could do since I have no experience with it. The demonstration was abysmal. There were lots of things the demonstrator tried to demonstrate that simply would not work. I figure if it can't even be successfully demonstrated at a Microsoft event it probably needs some more work. I will not be adopting Sharepoint until I can see a stable demonstration at a minimum.

gxrxaxdxy
post Dec 11 2008, 11:25 AM
Post#18

Hi!
Hope everyone's having a great day!
I've been trying to move a CRM access database to sharepoint. The speed would actually be faster for our field staff, considering that they have to remotely log in to use access databases on network servers.
However, the biggest issue i've run into is sharepoint's autonumber system. All Autonumbering in your database is stopped and replaced by the autonumber 'ID' field on sharepoint. Previously, new customers would be assigned an autonumber value that would be transferred by forms to other tables. In this manner, the same autonumber value represents the same customer throughout the database, and becomes the identifying customer #. Now, when using the Sharepoint version of my database, the autonumbers are not generated until the i click publish. This means that the rest of the data entry for various tables cannot be driven by this autonumber...
Any ideas on how to work with or around this issue? It may be that I could just structure my database in a more efficient manner.
Thanks.

Saintor
post Feb 25 2011, 05:48 PM
Post#19

Frankly, I don't get what is the purpose of Sharepoint and how it can be such an aded value to MS Access. Of course, I did read about it.
Yly, I don't get what is the purpose of Sharepoint and how it can be such an aded value to MS Access. Of course, I did read about it.
YOur IT is pushing it and I don't quite understand.
So far about everything he showed us could be made without it. We have a SQL server and there is our data strcuture.... they want to sell us another 13K$ server and for 20K$ of Sharepoint licenses.
The only reason I see is that for some folks, web interface is the end of it all. I disagree.

ivygrad
post Jan 29 2014, 06:15 AM
Post#20

What kind of reports do you use with your calendar? We have a calendar of personnel who are scheduled to attend events; there are at least 50 personnel involved so the Excel spreadsheet gets to be rather cumbersome. It has become a "hot potato" project!
hankx,

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 05:15 PM