Full Version: Older Date Time Format
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Date + Time
TFSerwin
M'kay... I'm hoping to extract a little advice from anyone who has been in this situation before.
I have data stored in an older non-Access database, which is not formatted using the Microsoft way of recording a date. As best I can tell the dates are stored as strings formatted MM/DD/YYYY.
The problem with that is that the program allowed the users to record zeros for information that was not known, or unclear. For example, if someone remembered that their "Date of Baptism" was in July of 1953, they could record the entry 07/00/1953. It allows both 'year-only' and 'month-and-year-only' data entry, as far as I can tell...
To store the old information, I have a table that is designed to store the month day and year values separately: (non-essential fields removed.)
tblPeopleDates
DateType (FK, dateType)
PDMonth (Integer)
PDDate (Integer)
PDYear (Integer)
The database that I am designing will need to accommodate the old data somehow, but also allow entry of new date information. I had planned on restricting any new data entry into the database to actual dates - month, day and year. Probably using a calendar control of some kind. (of which there are plenty to choose from!)
My question: I can certainly convert a Microsoft formatted date into its component parts with some work, and then store the information appropriately. Also, this will allow me to use and store the old data as well. But, I'm wondering if there was a better way to approach this problem. I had thought that it might be possible to store all of the generated dates as text - Microsoft formatted or otherwise - and then just test everything with the IsDate() function.
Don't know... just looking for advice at this point.
Thanks for your help!
HiTechCoach
I think it will all depend on how the data will be used. Without knowing how the data will be used, it will be hard to say what method will be the best to get the desired results.
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.